Will Pitino be the biggest name in this investigation? | Syracusefan.com

Will Pitino be the biggest name in this investigation?

Newhouser

Hall of Fame
Personally I don't think the K's or Cal's of the world will be impacted, and I"m not sure who is bigger than Slick Rick and Louisville. I also don't think the FBI is all that committed to this - as someone posted earlier - this was low hanging fruit that got some results, publicity and possibly some change. Personally I'm not expecting many more bombshells.

I think it probably goes a whole lot deeper than what has been revealed by the FBI so far. We all know this reaches into all of college athletics on grand scale. And the big money shoe companies. Why would the FBI start unraveling the threads if they weren't committed to unspooling the whole thing?

I think it probably goes a whole lot deeper than what has been revealed by the FBI so far. We all know this reaches into all of college athletics on grand scale. And the big money shoe companies. Why would the FBI start unraveling the threads if they weren't committed to unspooling the whole thing?
Because it was easy. This was low hanging fruit. Going deep deep is going to more trouble than it is worth for the FBI

The FBI didnt spend 3 years for assistant coaches
three years plus wires, phone taps, undercover agents, etc.

Sure it's not violent mob drugwars, but they spent some effort on this and I think they're definitely interested in what kind of fraud is being perpetuated by the bigger actors. Not whether Book got $15k and a couple of free hotel rooms for a quid pro quo.

Yeah, I know, the first post already said that. I think not following through with this investigation would be a poor choice for the FBI. Let the chips fall where they may.
Maybe but there is a lot of crazy stuff going on in this country that might be better served with more FBI manpower. It will be interesting but I think they peel the first layer and let the IRS in to hit them where it truly hurts.

to the original question: except for coach k, there aren't any names in cbb bigger than pitino. there might be an equal or two who get ensnared, but nobody bigger

to the rest: a case like this can launch a political career for the us attorney leading it, if he can get a major conviction out of it, so i wouldn't expect it to end anytime soon

Yeah, I know, the first post already said that. I think not following through with this investigation would be a poor choice for the FBI. Let the chips fall where they may.
Unless it involves us. That is a bridge too far

I haven't seen it written anywhere yet that Pitino was actually arrested. So I'm not sure the FBI has him on criminal charges yet. If they are able to get him on criminal charges, I suspect he will squeal quickly.

The FBI would have waiting to land a bigger fish if they weren't going to pursue this further. Given the high profile nature of the case, they will finish with egg on their face if the only outcome is to charge 4 assistant basketball coaches and for a few others to lose their jobs. Dawn has arrived. Dusk is a long ways off IMHO.

I haven't seen it written anywhere yet that Pitino was actually arrested. So I'm not sure the FBI has him on criminal charges yet. If they are able to get him on criminal charges, I suspect he will squeal quickly.

The FBI would have waiting to land a bigger fish if they weren't going to pursue this further. Given the high profile nature of the case, they will finish with egg on their face if the only outcome is to charge 4 assistant basketball coaches and for a few others to lose their jobs. Dawn has arrived. Dusk is a long ways off IMHO.
yep, what transpired this week is just a teaser. I expect pretty large shoes to drop, larger than Lou'ville

Edit: where there is money there is corruption and the state universities have a crap ton of money, the shoe companies as well.

to the original question: except for coach k, there aren't any names in cbb bigger than pitino. there might be an equal or two who get ensnared, but nobody bigger

to the rest: a case like this can launch a political career for the us attorney leading it, if he can get a major conviction out of it, so i wouldn't expect it to end anytime soon
The investigation started under Preet Bhahara in 2015. Joon Kim, who spoke at the press conference, is the Acting US Attorney until a new one is confirmed.

I've been told the most dangerous place in NY is the spot between Bhahara and a TV camera.

The investigation started under Preet Bhahara in 2015. Joon Kim, who spoke at the press conference, is the Acting US Attorney until a new one is confirmed.

I've been told the most dangerous place in NY is the spot between Bhahara and a TV camera.
the guy who reels in the fish gets the picture, not the guy who baits the hook

Preet has lost some luster - Silver gets freed, Cuomo still operating,. IT's why I think this investigation goes away faster than people think. The investigators want a splash to get their name out there - the first accusation is heard and seen , the end result is usually diminished in coverage and actual punishment.