Will the Basketball Season ever get here? | Syracusefan.com

Will the Basketball Season ever get here?

Flacusian

All Conference
This it the worst time of year for sports. The NBA season is over, the excitement of the NBA draft is fading into the past, and Baseball is a long way from the final stretch to determine who will play in the post season. The monotony of 162 games does little to bolster the excitement of a game played at this juncture of the season. NASCAR... uh.. outside of Danica Patrick there is nothing of interest whatsoever. Wimbledon...yawn! not even a final with Nadal.

NFL games are over a month away. At least there is the good weather of summer in which to enjoy outdoor activities. But, living in Florida, which I do, pretty much all things are in play year round. So, rather than trying to find anything of interest sports wise, it's time to hit the links or gas up the boat and fish in the gulf. Even fishing has lost it's sheen since you often catch fish with extra fins, black markings and spots which they aren't supposed to have and hear reports of shrimpers catching shrimp which have no eyes. All courtesy of BP oil.

Please, God's of College Basketball, hasten the onset of the 2012-13 season and let my ears hear the chants of "Let's Go Orange". Of all sports , there is nothing as exciting as a Syracuse Basketball game. The coming season holds much promise while also begging many questions as to who will emerge as our key players. Who will return with vastly honed skills and the desire to take on the mantle of leadership? What will it be like as Syracuse makes it's farewell tour of opposing Big East Schools?

Sigh.... please October.. hurry

Agree. Im a Yankee fan but baseball is so boring. Its like watching paint dry. I guess NBA Free Agency could be interesting for a few days starting tonight at midnight.

Agree. Im a Yankee fan but baseball is so boring. Its like watching paint dry.

I completely agree with you about baseball being boring, but I'm curious, how can you be a fan of a team that plays a sport that doesn't entertain you?

Sigh.... please October.. hurry[/quote]

Nooooo! No hurry! Are you trying to kill me? (Although I do totally take your point.)

I completely agree with you about baseball being boring, but I'm curious, how can you be a fan of a team that plays a sport that doesn't entertain you?
Raised in a family where we watched the Yankees every night. Its kind of engrained in me. I do find Yankee games entertaining, somewhat, but i cant sit down and watch some random game like i can with football and basketball.

I am fortunate enough to be able to go to every game. There is nothing like walking to the Dome in November for that first exhibition game! You walk down the familiar corridor, and every restroom and "feeding station" seems like an old friend. You wave to ushers. You go up the steps to 309, and there is good ole Bill, "your" usher. And there are all the friendly faces of the people you have sat with for several years. Hooray! The players are warming up and the band is playing "The Final Countdown." All is right in the world.

But oh, that last, bittersweet walk in March! You throw your popcorn in the trashcan and you realize it's "the last time." You take the last sip from that herpes-infested drinking fountain ("you didn't get me this year, fountain! Mwah ha ha ha!") and you trudge slowly towards the exits, where outside ice pellets are cutting unprotected skin. Drunk, half-naked students painted orange run by you, tarzan-yelling. They are barefoot. "Good-bye, insane students. How I will miss you and your quirky ways!"

You are happy that there are tournaments left to play, but before you know it, that, too, is over. And almost always, it's over because you lose. THAT is the thing that gnaws at you during the spring, but you learn to let it go. You want two impossible things: you want the next season to arrive instantaneously, but you don't want to flash through summer. And as you wither on the vine - I mean, age - you understand that you don't want to hurry anything any more.

The days are long, but life is short. GO SU!

Syracuse football going to shock the world and beat USC

Of course, just not in 2012.

This it the worst time of year for sports. The NBA season is over, the excitement of the NBA draft is fading into the past, and Baseball is a long way from the final stretch to determine who will play in the post season. The monotony of 162 games does little to bolster the excitement of a game played at this juncture of the season. NASCAR... uh.. outside of Danica Patrick there is nothing of interest whatsoever. Wimbledon...yawn! not even a final with Nadal.

Could be evolution changing the fish. :)

NFL games are over a month away. At least there is the good weather of summer in which to enjoy outdoor activities. But, living in Florida, which I do, pretty much all things are in play year round. So, rather than trying to find anything of interest sports wise, it's time to hit the links or gas up the boat and fish in the gulf. Even fishing has lost it's sheen since you often catch fish with extra fins, black markings and spots which they aren't supposed to have and hear reports of shrimpers catching shrimp which have no eyes. All courtesy of BP oil.

Please, God's of College Basketball, hasten the onset of the 2012-13 season and let my ears hear the chants of "Let's Go Orange". Of all sports , there is nothing as exciting as a Syracuse Basketball game. The coming season holds much promise while also begging many questions as to who will emerge as our key players. Who will return with vastly honed skills and the desire to take on the mantle of leadership? What will it be like as Syracuse makes it's farewell tour of opposing Big East Schools?

I can't watch baseball on TV but it is fun going to games. I know we have a fair amount of Red Sox haters on the board, but I do recommend going to Fenway Park if you get the chance. This season is a good opportunity to do so as you can get tickets from the box office at face value.

I'm older, therefore there's nothing boring to me about watching a baseball game, especially MLB live (high-def is very good, however). One has to put his need for glitz and for continuous/instantaneous gratification aside, to appreciate the cerebral, muscle-reflex, hand-eye coordination, and high-order physics aspects of baseball. I love football and basketball for their speed, power, teamwork, but I love baseball for its physics, strategies, beauty and elegance.

You may find some relief by watching Le Tour or the Olympics.

Only 2 months until the Orangemen host Northwestern.

One has to put his need for glitz and for continuous/instantaneous gratification aside, to appreciate the cerebral, muscle-reflex, hand-eye coordination, and high-order physics aspects of baseball.

For me personally, I feel about baseball how I feel about brain surgery. It takes a tremendous amount of skill (as you said, cerebral, muscle-reflex, hand-eye coordination) that extremely few people can perform at it's highest level, but it's just not something that I want to watch for 3 hours.

Baseball is fun the first week and then again if there is a playoff push. It goes into the general "sports clouds" for 4 months, especially judging by attendance at the ballparks. I know it will never happen because of the almighty dollar, but, trim the season to 100 games for each team and there would be more general interest.

Bseball is merely a sewue

from college BB to CF I love the football season and wait patiently for BS to come into realistic view. This season will be fun to watch from all kinds of perspectives . We have lost four players of NBA quality An injury was the only thing preventing four NBA draft choices this past week. Scoop will sign as a free agent for sure once he is up and rehabbed.;)

Baseball is fun the first week and then again if there is a playoff push. It goes into the general "sports clouds" for 4 months, especially judging by attendance at the ballparks. I know it will never happen because of the almighty dollar, but, trim the season to 100 games for each team and there would be more general interest.

Considering the length of the season and the number of sports and entertainment options available these days, baseball's attendance figures are quite strong. Check out attendance figures from earlier eras sometime.

And there isn't a major American professional team sport that wouldn't benefit from a shortened regular season.