Will the Chicago White Sox become the worst team ever? | Syracusefan.com

Will the Chicago White Sox become the worst team ever?

jncuse

I brought the Cocaine to the White House
The Chicago White Sox (31-103) currently have a winning % of .231, which is the worst ever. If they finish with 38 wins or less, they will officially accomplish the task as the team with the worst winning % ever.

In modern baseball times (post 1901), the worst record in a single season is a winning % of .235 by the 1916 Philadelphia Athletics (36-117). They are closely followed by the 1935 Boston Braves (.248) and the infamous 1962 Mets (.250)

Its blows my mind in modern times to look up at the standings and see a team at 31-103.
When Detroit went 43-119 a few years back I thought that would never be matched.

Last edited:
Make it 31-104.
Today's White Sox lowlight -- what exactly was the second baseman thinking here?

Did the Yankees lend the White Sox Gleyber Torres for a day?

Well they get to play the mets 3 times this weekend.. Could end the Mets season

Did the Yankees lend the White Sox Gleyber Torres for a day?

I haven't seen much of Gleyber and the Yankees this year, but I remember a Yanks game against the Jays earlier this year, where Gleyber:

A) Bashed a ball to left field, jogged and the ball did not leave the yard. Single instead of double.

B) One of the next batters hit a ball in the gap. Gleyber is thrown out at home, because he slowed down around 3rd base for whatever reason.

When he got back to the dugout, Boone grabbed him and told him he had the rest of the night off.

Last edited:
I haven't seen much of Gleyber and the Yankees this year, but I remember a Yanks game against the Jays earlier this year, where Gleyber:

A) Bashed a ball to left field, jogged and the ball did not leave the yard. Single instead of double.

B) One of the next batters hit a ball in the gap. Gleyber is thrown out at home, because he slowed down around 3rd base for whatever reason.

When he got back to the dugout, Boone grabbed him and told him he had the rest of the night off.
One of many head scratchers for Gleyber

Swept by the Mets.
31-106

Reminder that this team that had some good young or young "vet" talent back in 2021 went 93-69

Have to go at least 8-17 the rest of the way to avoid the record.
The next 9 games are against teams that are playing for soemthing (O's, Sox, Guardians)
The 6 games remaining against the Angels could decide things.

You’re being too kind to them. They lost their 107th game today. I don’t see how they don’t break the record. They are truly the worst.

They only have to play at a 54 win pace to close the season (8-16). Shows how bad they are that 54 win pace is a challenge.

That being said many of their closing games will be against teams who have nothing to play for and might be playing out the string with scrubs.

If they have a little pride they might be able to string a few games here and there. Of course, it doesn't look like they have much pride.

The White Sox are streaking with 3 wins in a row
At 33-115, 3 games ago, they had to finish the season at 6-8 to avoid the record which seemed very tough.

But now they "only" need to finish the year at 3-8 to avoid being the worst team ever (post 1900)

5 games left against the Angels.
3 against the Padres (who will certainly be pushing hard to clinch a spot)
3 against the Tigers in the last weekend.

It could come down to whether the Tigers are in the race in the final weekend or not. If they get eliminated before that final set, it could be a letdown for them.

The White Sox are streaking with 3 wins in a row
At 33-115, 3 games ago, they had to finish the season at 6-8 to avoid the record which seemed very tough.

But now they "only" need to finish the year at 3-8 to avoid being the worst team ever (post 1900)

5 games left against the Angels.
3 against the Padres (who will certainly be pushing hard to clinch a spot)
3 against the Tigers in the last weekend.

It could come down to whether the Tigers are in the race in the final weekend or not. If they get eliminated before that final set, it could be a letdown for them.
The Tigers are white hot and closing hard on the Twins for a playoff spot.

Padres are playing really well.

Their best hope to avoid the record is to get wins against the Angels.

The Tigers are white hot and closing hard on the Twins for a playoff spot.

Padres are playing really well.

Their best hope to avoid the record is to get wins against the Angels.

I see the Tigers playoff status as a key factor if they fail against the Angels..
Tigers are 1.5 back. If they get eliminated out of a spot by game 159 or game 160, the Tigers will probably mail it in for games 160-162 which gives the White Sox a chance. If Tigers are still alive and fighting by game 162, I don't see the White Sox getting it done, and it will be a sweep.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/57...senewsletter&campaign=11062710&userId=5973799

"A team doesn’t lose 117 games and counting because of just one thing. In the case of the 2024 Chicago White Sox a meddling owner, dubious leadership, injuries and an inability to properly value and integrate analytics only begin to tell the story."

Is Jerry Reinsdorf a modern Charles Comiskey?

"He lost popularity with his players, who eventually came to despise him. The players' animosity toward Comiskey was seen as a factor in the Black Sox scandal, when eight players on the AL champions conspired to "throw" the 1919 World Series to the NL champion Cincinnati Reds.[3] Comiskey was notoriously stingy (his defenders called him "frugal"), even forcing his players to pay to launder their own uniforms. Traci Peterson notes that, in an era when professional athletes lacked free agency, the White Sox's formidable players had little choice but to accept Comiskey's substandard wages. She writes: "Swede Risberg and Lefty Williams made less than $3,000 a year ($52,722 today). Joe Jackson and Buck Weaver made only $6,000 a year ($105,443 today). Eddie Cicotte had been promised a $10,000 ($175,739 today) bonus if he could win 30 games in a season. When Cicotte closed in on the 30-game goal, Comiskey had him benched to keep him from reaching the mark." Comiskey's stated reason for having manager Kid Gleason bench Cicotte was that with the Sox headed for the World Series he had to protect his star pitcher's arm (Cicotte ended up with a 29-7 record for the 1919 season). In one incident, he promised his players a bonus for winning the 1919 pennant — the "bonus" turned out to be a case of flat champagne."

A few clutch back to back losses against the Angels.
Lost in the 13th inning Wednesday.
They now need to go 3-6 to avoid the record.

Hanging in tough tonight against the Padres .. 0-0 in the 6th. I have faith in the White Sox finding a way to lose this one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom