Winston-Salem/WFU | Syracusefan.com

Winston-Salem/WFU

C

creatorsgam

Going to the Wake game next week, never had made a prior trip out to Winston-Salem. Driving from the Raleigh area, maybe about three hours but I'm taking game day and the day after off from work so I can enjoy it without being rushed. Anyway, does anyone have recommendations of places to go in the area during the afternoon? Also, any location near the arena to do a small amount (read: massive amount) of boozing prior to tip-off?

Going to the Wake game next week, never had made a prior trip out to Winston-Salem. Driving from the Raleigh area, maybe about three hours but I'm taking game day and the day after off from work so I can enjoy it without being rushed. Anyway, does anyone have recommendations of places to go in the area during the afternoon? Also, any location near the arena to do a small amount (read: massive amount) of boozing prior to tip-off?
The Krispy Kreme headquarters tour sounds like a fantastic way to throw yourself into the local food scene!

that is Utica Devils jersey. and i just became a 6 year old boy again for like a minute.

that is Utica Devils jersey. and i just became a 6 year old boy again for like a minute.

Great memories. AHL hockey is back in Utica. Wanted to get to a Comets game over the holidays when I was up visiting my parents, but with the hectic schedule with family it was either that or the 'Cuse/'Nova game. We know the obvious answer between those choices.

Great memories. AHL hockey is back in Utica. Wanted to get to a Comets game over the holidays when I was up visiting my parents, but with the hectic schedule with family it was either that or the 'Cuse/'Nova game. We know the obvious answer between those choices.
i had no idea they had a team? At the Utica Auditorium? Awesome.

Ill be going to the game as well. Driving from the Durham area.

My girlfriend and I will be linking up with 6 others from Charlotte. Syracuse should be represented well. The game @ NC State a couple years ago brought out a lot of Orange faithful.

did you play?

Nope, think I was in middle school when they left town. Can't even skate. Growing up, my local youth hockey team played on Sunday mornings. My mother was church first, sports second. That philosophy also ruined my prospects of playing pop warner football. Soccer, basketball, and lacrosse it was. The avatar is something unique for the board, and I got sick of seeing that empty space in the rare event that I posted something.

Nope, think I was in middle school when they left town. Can't even skate. Growing up, my local youth hockey team played on Sunday mornings. My mother was church first, sports second. That philosophy also ruined my prospects of playing pop warner football. Soccer, basketball, and lacrosse it was. The avatar is something unique for the board, and I got sick of seeing that empty space in the rare event that I posted something.
It was a solid pick. Have some very fond memories of that team.

Still have to get tickets but planning on making the drive from Raleigh. Probably going to stop by Foothills Brewery before the game.

Still have to get tickets but planning on making the drive from Raleigh. Probably going to stop by Foothills Brewery before the game.

That appears to have a lot of potential. I'll be looking into that tomorrow, thank you.

wake was up 36 to 15 @ vt with 7 left in the half tonight

Local talk radio was talking about this game as a "gimme" type game for Wake. They then went on to hammer Tech, the "rebuilding" job, and that they are "beneath the league this year." Hokies are guilty as charged.

Winston-Salem is a nice mid-size city with a solid downtown area, but unfortunately there's really not much around the arena. Most of the good bars and restaurants downtown are concentrated around 4th Street and Trade Street. Foothills on 4th Street is very good, and Finnegan's Wake on Trade has a good selection of beers on tap. Mellow Mushroom on 4th has good pizza and beer selection.

Around the arena, your best bet is a bar/grill-type restaurant called Putters that is just across the street. I would compare it to Tully's- good chicken tenders and plenty of beer options. Get there early as it fills up quickly before games. It's a 5 minute walk to the arena, but you have to cross University Ave. which can get quite busy.

What Raf said. The drive from Raleigh is about an hour and 45 minutes in non-rush hour traffic. Maybe 10 minutes closer from Durham. Rush hour traffic in Raleigh can be a nightmare. Raf is right...there isn't much around the coliseum. It's not the best part of town. The only other option I can think of is The Hero House which is catty cornered from Putters. Good sandwiches...but light on beer options.

The drive from downtown is about 10-15 minutes. Not sure what you're into for the afternoon, but if you like a history, a tour of Old Salem might interest you. It's an old Moravian settlement just South of downtown that gives tours, has a bakery etc...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom