Wire-transfer receipt found in trash led to Jamar Samuels' suspension | Syracusefan.com

Wire-transfer receipt found in trash led to Jamar Samuels' suspension

The AD says "I promise you, I wish it would have stayed in the trash."

Is that really the message you mean to send? As long as you or nobody else finds out, I am happy with my players violating NCAA rules.

Found it on the floor/Knew what and whom it was about and turned into whomever!! :rolling::bat:couchburn

The AD says "I promise you, I wish it would have stayed in the trash."

Is that really the message you mean to send? As long as you or nobody else finds out, I am happy with my players violating NCAA rules.

Well, it is the Big 12.

And frank martin happens to take a new job, bunch of crooks involved in college ball.

Am I naive? What has this to do with Martin? Circumstantial at best.
AAU programs can filthy and are too close to college programs but
This is between an AAU team and a kid yet in college. Im curious as
To when this was found- have to think it was some time ago
Andthe finder waited til now to come forth.

Am I naive? What has this to do with Martin? Circumstantial at best.
AAU programs can filthy and are too close to college programs but
This is between an AAU team and a kid yet in college. Im curious as
To when this was found- have to think it was some time ago
Andthe finder waited til now to come forth.

The reason some are thinking it's suspicious is that it's an odd move to go from KState to SCarolina but you're right it is circumstantial.

"And frank martin happens to take a new job, bunch of crooks involved in college ball."

Numerous articles saying that Martin was incensed with the way KSU handled this, particularly in trying to blame it on the NCAA.

As SU fans and how people assumed the worst regarding what happened to SU, we as fans would learn to wait to have some facts first before throwing out the cheaters or whatever label. Now, if it's in jest and goofing around that's a bit different but again after what we've been through I'm not going to judge as harshly as I did before ever again. Too many writers have an agenda and facts be damned.

ESPN had Digger and somebody else comment on this money shortly after it was disclosed. Digger manitained that the kid knew the rules about acceting money from outside sources and was entirely at fault. The other guy tried to argue that the AAU coach was as much family as the kids uncles and even parents. He was like a father figure. And that it was alright for him to give the kid moeny and since it was "only" $200, the punishment didn't fit the situation. he said that Digger's beenout of the coaching game for so long and the "rules" have changed, ie, this sort of thing goes on all the time.

ESPN had Digger and somebody else comment on this money shortly after it was disclosed. Digger manitained that the kid knew the rules about acceting money from outside sources and was entirely at fault. The other guy tried to argue that the AAU coach was as much family as the kids uncles and even parents. He was like a father figure. And that it was alright for him to give the kid moeny and since it was "only" $200, the punishment didn't fit the situation. he said that Digger's beenout of the coaching game for so long and the "rules" have changed, ie, this sort of thing goes on all the time.

I don't understand why ESPN still uses Digger. He has been out of the game for so long that when he opines on how things are done, or should be done, he's more out of touch then most of the people on this board.

I'm sure it does go on but it's still wrong and puts everything into a way too gray area.

Oh and as for Digger, he's nails on a chalkboard when he talks.

What has to drive these colleges crazy, is that it seems the biggest sources of these types of problems are mostly out of their control -- agents and AAU programs, though agents seem to infiltrate football programs much more. Years ago, the problems seemed to be more by boosters, and through compliance, documentation, defnition of what defines "a representative of a program's interest", and such, you don't hear about that nearly as much these days. How a college can control and be responsible for conduct of AAU coaches , agents, and the wanna-be agents who really latch on to players in hopes of their first pay day -- is beyond me.

I don't understand why ESPN still uses Digger. He has been out of the game for so long that when he opines on how things are done, or should be done, he's more out of touch then most of the people on this board.
Besides he uses too much pancake makeup

The AAU coach also pointed out that he had a "prior relationship" which made it OK to give him money.

To me there is a much bigger problem here. I assume that both in Fab and Samuel's cases there were not investigated violations but rather incidents that the schools knew about and could be violations. As such, they held the players out to avoid having to vacate tournament games. Finding out late breaking information like this, there is clearly no time to do a full investigation. So holding the player out for self defense reasons is unfortunate, bt understandable.

OK, that said. Lets say it's the eve of a really important game, say the NC game. And lets say someone with an awful lot of cash (like oooh say bigtime players in the gambling game - fill in your choice of who this may be) decides they want to skew the outcome of this game and make some big money. All they have to do is identify a "handler" or coach or assistant, or teacher's aide or anyone else from say Thomas Robinson's background. Pay this guy $100k to drop some information at the last minute (say 6 hours before game time) that indicates there could be activity that would render Robinson ineligible. If you identify the right person, they will have enough credibility to pass first muster and now the school may be forced to hold the player out or risk possibly vacating a national championship. The information revealed by the paid-off informant does not have to be true - it just has to be enough to pass muster for a few hours available before game time (incidentally this is also a way to limit betting action changes as it's unlikely rumors about the possible ineligibility could travel to joe sixpack gamblers who have millions bet on the game).

This strategy would be extra effective if there was a big favorite like UK, but maybe less effective if the school is less likely to care about issues like this (such as UK). I see nothing that prevents this strategy from happening though.