With no BJ to watch this year except in(practice)! | Syracusefan.com

With no BJ to watch this year except in(practice)!

OGBJ20

Starter
WE TALKIN BOUT PRACTICE!!! I decided to analyze his last years stats:
In the 11 games that played meaningful minutes (15+) which included the beginning (K. State/ Hampton/ Loyola/HC/L Tech/Col and the end of the season (BC/Pitt/ND/Duke/VA his stats were:
Record 9-2
Min-281 - 25.5mpg
Pts.-95 (season total 104) - 8.6ppg
Rebs.-59(season total 79) - 5.3ppg
Fgm/A- 32/89 - 36%
3fgm/A-16/51 - 31%
I would say that was pretty good for a 18yr/19yr old playing on a yo-yo string/Jb's dog house-whipping boi or the eventual victim of the NCAA RAFT TO GET SU at any cost. Somewhere along the line the situation cost us the middle of the season allowing him to continue his improvement. Because there were the other games of seeing the floor for couple of mins here and there during middle of the season. With that being said, I would have loved to see what a 6'8" BJ would have looked like on this years team at the 3 or 2. Especially since I seen his improvement over the summer till now.
image.jpeg

In the 11 games that played meaningful minutes (15+) which included the beginning (K. State/ Hampton/ Loyola/HC/L Tech/Col and the end of the season (BC/Pitt/ND/Duke/VA his stats were:
Record 9-2
Min-281 - 25.5mpg
Fgm/A- 32/89 - 36%
3fgm/A-16/51 - 31%
I would say that was pretty good for a 18yr/19yr old playing on a yo-yo string/Jb's dog house-whipping boi or the eventual victim of the NCAA RAFT TO GET SU at any cost. Somewhere along the line the situation cost us the middle of the season allowing him to continue his improvement. Because there were the other games of seeing the floor for couple of mins here and there during middle of the season. With that being said, I would have loved to see what a 6'8" BJ would have looked like on this years team at the 3 or 2. Especially since I seen his improvement over the summer till now.
View attachment 54326
OG I know I've asked this before but your post almost insinuates that BJ's transfer decision was not of his own choosing. Was it not? Also, as fans it's not always easy to see behind the curtain so can you expand on the "whipping boy" comment?

Record 9-2
Min-281 - 25.5mpg
Fgm/A- 32/89 - 36%
3fgm/A-16/51 - 31%
View attachment 54326

those rebounding numbers alone would be welcome. I would have liked to see him stick around too, thought he could have blossomed into a 1,000 point scorer.

JB's whipping boy?

EDIT: It would be interesting to see BJ on this year's team, I imagine he'd take some of Mali's minutes but I don't think we would see BJ at the 2. I wonder if he would have started over Mali.

OG I know I've asked this before but your post almost insinuates that BJ's transfer decision was not of his own choosing. Was it not? Also, as fans it's not always easy to see behind the curtain so can you expand on the "whipping boy" comment?
Whipping boy, doghouse it's all the same. You are one of the players at some point that the coach yells at consistently. That limits your play as well. He had a number of players like that. He didn't want to leave but considering the situation, sacrifices were evident. Let's just say he was shown the door but not necessarily asked not to go through it. If your not in the plans for the next year for whatever reason then as junior then... Knowing all we know about the team and personnel, sanctions etc. there somethings that clear about the situation. Collateral damage and Bj was part of it.

Whipping boy, doghouse it's all the same. You are one of the players at some point that the coach yells at consistently. That limits your play as well. He had a number of players like that. He didn't want to leave but considering the situation, sacrifices were evident. Let's just say he was shown the door but not necessarily asked not to go through it. If your not in the plans for the next year for whatever reason then as junior then... Knowing all we know about the team and personnel, sanctions etc. there somethings that clear about the situation. Collateral damage and Bj was part of it.
Everything for BJ would have been different had he red shirted his freshman year as I suggested. There is no getting around that. There is no way any door would have been showed to a soph who has already sat out a year. But quite frankly, you reacted to me like I was insulting your wife by suggesting that a young BJ would be better off sitting out one year. I wish BJ all the best. Hope he becomes a NBA star. But it would be revisionist history to not acknowledge that.

Everything for BJ would have been different had he red shirted his freshman year as I suggested. There is no getting around that. There is no way any door would have been showed to a soph who has already sat out a year. But quite frankly, you reacted to me like I was insulting your wife by suggesting that a young BJ would be better off sitting out one year. I wish BJ all the best. Hope he becomes a NBA star. But it would be revisionist history to not acknowledge that.
You keep saying this and I going to tell you for the last time, if JB wanted to redshirt BJ then it would have happen. So stop stating that I went into his office and demand that BJ suit up only knowing that he would be sitting. If that is the case I would have demanded that he played more last year. I'm influential in my own right but not in this case. It was coaches decision and his only that the belief was that BJ would play minutes at the 2 stemming from what they saw in Canada and practices moving towards the season.

And another thing, when speaking to the coach upon the decision to transfer, JB said to me, "I wish I would have redshirted BJ his froshmen year. It's always to have a healthy debate with you, Dasher as usual.

You keep saying this and I going to tell you for the last time, if JB wanted to redshirt BJ then it would have happen. So stop stating that I went into his office and demand that BJ suit up only knowing that he would be sitting. If that is the case I would have demanded that he played more last year. I'm influential in my own right but not in this case. It was coaches decision and his only that the belief was that BJ would play minutes at the 2 stemming from what they saw in Canada and practices moving towards the season.
I remember our conversations.

JB's whipping boy?

EDIT: It would be interesting to see BJ on this year's team, I imagine he'd take some of Mali's minutes but I don't think we would see BJ at the 2. I wonder if he would have started over Mali.

not sure of starter vs bench, but with g moved to the 1 if BJ was here this year he would have been our best pure "3" but the lineup would still be unbalanced b/c of the lack of depth at 5

I like BJ and hope he has success in his future.

That being said this years Syracuse team needs some severe rebounding help and big bodies. We are hurting badly since the only big man we have that is filled out physically is Coleman, who even before his injuries did not have much of a vertical at all. Coleman also grabs a rebound and brings it down to his knees then takes it up and gets rejected like clockwork. Having A below the rim player like Coleman and a skinny "stretch 4" like Lyndon playing the 5 spot in the zone is a recipe for disaster.

The only way by could have helped this current su team would be to grow three inches and gain 40 pounds!

BJ seemed to have a lot of potential, I do think he was managed poorly. He clearly should've red shirted as a frosh, his young age, his slender frame, etc. really imo made this a no brainer. I'll never understand why it wasn't so obvious to the powers that be. Easy to say I guess as a fan viewing from the outside though. Wishing BJ nothing but the best!