With the Dolphins staff canned yesterday | Syracusefan.com

With the Dolphins staff canned yesterday

PhatOrange

Living Legend
I would give serious consideration to hiring Darren Rizzi (dolphins ST coach) to coach our special teams and tight ends. He's a New Jersey native and Bergan Catholic grad. Coach Special Teams at Rutgers between 2002-2007. If there's one thing Butts has been good at it special teams and they were very good at it during his tenure there.

He played TE at Rhode Island.

His hire would cover proven college special team success, and new jersey recruiting.

I would give serious consideration to hiring Darren Rizzi (dolphins ST coach) to coach our special teams and tight ends. He's a New Jersey native and Bergan Catholic grad. Coach Special Teams at Rutgers between 2002-2007. If there's one thing Butts has been good at it special teams and they were very good at it during his tenure there.

His hire would cover proven college special team success, and new jersey recruiting.
Good call. I wonder if he and Marrone have crossed paths.

He was there for the increasing success in recruiting at Rutgers.

If there were to be two openings I would love to see him and Chris Rippon get slots on staff

I would be happy if our Special Teams would simply cease being a liability to the team. I would be ecstatic if they could become an asset, as they are at VPI and Rutgers. In Beamer's 23 years at VPI, they have averaged 5.5 TDs/year from their Special teams play. That doesn't include momentum-swinging plays such as blocked kicks, that deny points to the opposition and impact field position.

One thing I noticed is that those teams do differently is their special teams are comprised mostly of starters (i.e., the best athletes on the team). Star players actually compete for spots on Special Teams, rather than it being viewed as some sort of consolation prize to get a 2nd or 3rd stringer on the field while the starters get a rest on the bench.

Another thing successful teams do (which may or may not be different that at SU) is not to relegate special team practice to the beginning or end of practice, which tends to diminish its importance and is viewed by the team as a "punishment", e.g., sending the FG unit out at the end of practice to attempt a "make-or-break" kick , with running laps on the line if he misses.

Why can't we put "special" back in special teams?

I would be happy if our Special Teams would simply cease being a liability to the team. I would be ecstatic if they could become an asset, as they are at VPI and Rutgers. In Beamer's 23 years at VPI, they have averaged 5.5 TDs/year from their Special teams play. That doesn't include momentum-swinging plays such as blocked kicks, that deny points to the opposition and impact field position.

One thing I noticed is that those teams do differently is their special teams are comprised mostly of starters (i.e., the best athletes on the team). Star players actually compete for spots on Special Teams, rather than it being viewed as some sort of consolation prize to get a 2nd or 3rd stringer on the field while the starters get a rest on the bench.quote]

I think depth plays a role here. You don't want to jeopardize your starters by having them play in special teams and risk injury. As depth improves we may see more of this.

Would make a lot of sense. Better grab him quick though.

Ahem...

Has it actually been established that we have a vacancy to fill?

There's a vacancy in the sense that there was no ST coach in the 2011 season. Whatever makeshift method they used to teach and coach the position was not working.

I think depth plays a role here. You don't want to jeopardize your starters by having them play in special teams and risk injury. As depth improves we may see more of this.

It's hard to improve depth if guys keep leaving.

There's a vacancy in the sense that there was no ST coach in the 2011 season. Whatever makeshift method they used to teach and coach the position was not working.
Yeah I get that, but someone needs to be let go before you can hore someone else due to limits of number of staff you can have.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

We have no ST coach yet we have one guy responsible for three different functions :crazy:

Yeah I get that, but someone needs to be let go before you can hore someone else due to limits of number of staff you can have.

I am working under the assumption that Brumbaugh has been canned. In any case, they need to shift responsibilities so that there is a coach whose only job is ST.

I am working under the assumption that Brumbaugh has been canned. In any case, they need to shift responsibilities so that there is a coach whose only job is ST.
Agreed. Again, it's a matter of making special teams a priority like offense and defense, and not just an afterthought.

Here are the chances Darren Rizzi comes to Syracuse:

http://youtu.be/2V3CfD8TPac

I think you'd be hard pressed to find any college team with a special teams only coach. no way, not with the limited number of coaches on a staff.

Example #4,376 of how Marrone coaches scared.

guy would be a great hire doubt it happens. Also i wouldnt be surprised to see doug stick with special teams by committe next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom