With the G-League, will it even be worth recruiting elite players any more? | Syracusefan.com

With the G-League, will it even be worth recruiting elite players any more?

FreakTalksAboutSU

All American
I don't mean Syracuse, I mean college coaches in general?

What I mean is...will be best coaches...the best recruiters...now be the ones who are building teams of high upside 3 and 4 star kids who truly will have to develop into being pro players, as opposed to the high 4 and 5 star kids who are now going to be complete rolls of the dice to a) want to go to college and b) honor their commitment if at any point someone gets in their ear?

I feel like the G-league deal is going to completely change the way college coaches need to recruit, and the types of players they will want to go after.

IDK - what is the Actual money players will be making?

IDK - what is the Actual money players will be making?
Well, 26,000 is the limit but its about the endorsement money, as it always is. He'll probably have at least a couple hundred K shoe deal very soon

Well, 26,000 is the limit but its about the endorsement money, as it always is. He'll probably have at least a couple hundred K shoe deal very soon
People scoffed at this but it's spot on. Yeah he won't have Air Bazleys on the shelf next year but the Big 3 can throw life changing money at him to grow a relationship on the chance he makes it big.

I was curious, so I looked it up.
Nike $31 Billion in revenue in 2015
Adidas $19 Billion (Euros) in 2016
Under Armour $3.9 Billion in 2015

If you think they wouldn't throw $100k at a prospect like this you're delusional.

Water seeks its own level. Think the key will be (all monies included) - how does the first NBA contract (and endorsements) look like for say a dozen top 15 kids who opted for 1-2 years of college vs a dozen who opted for G League. Naturally the G League is perfect for a kid who can't qualify.

People scoffed at this but it's spot on. Yeah he won't have Air Bazleys on the shelf next year but the Big 3 can throw life changing money at him to grow a relationship on the chance he makes it big.

I was curious, so I looked it up.
Nike $31 Billion in revenue in 2015
Adidas $19 Billion (Euros) in 2016
Under Armour $3.9 Billion in 2015

If you think they wouldn't throw $100k at a prospect like this you're delusional.
Well, we know they were willing to do it through illegal means. I’m sure they will just up the anti to use the G league as the pathway.

$26k from Fort Wayne + $300k from Adidas isn’t a bad year. Hold out for NBA draft and make $2mm + increased shoe money...yeah, fairly easy to convince an 18 year old to follow that path.

It’s going to be interesting to see how this unfolds. The elite of the elite may be ignored in high school by college recruiters if it seems a recruit intends to skip college ball. So you’ll see more pro scouts than college coaches at their games,

How deep this goes into the top high school players will be something to watch.

Next thing you know someone will be leaving high school for the NBA after their junior year.

Per Gottlieb's tweet...it has always been an option. I like how he's also says 'how the show goes on without you.'

Doug Gottlieb‏Verified account @GottliebShow 5h5 hours ago
Doug Gottlieb Retweeted Shams Charania

Always been an option. The show goes on without you.

Doug Gottlieb added,

Shams CharaniaVerified account @ShamsCharania
Yahoo Sports story: McDonald’s All-American Darius Bazley decommits at Syracuse, becomes first top high school prospect to choose turning professional in the NBA G League. Projected top-10 draft pick Darius Bazley to make leap from high school to G League

It’s going to be interesting to see how this unfolds. The elite of the elite may be ignored in high school by college recruiters if it seems a recruit intends to skip college ball. So you’ll see more pro scouts than college coaches at their games,

Next thing you know someone will be leaving high school for the NBA after their junior year.

The NBA might be tired of sharing the basketball spotlight with a "non-profit" network of schools. Maybe they think they can start earning money off the top HS prospects rather than letting the NCAA borrow them for a few years. I know it sounds far-fetched but maybe there is a market for a G League that has all the top talent playing.

The NBA might be tired of sharing the basketball spotlight with a "non-profit" network of schools. Maybe they think they can start earning money off the top HS prospects rather than letting the NCAA borrow them for a few years. I know it sounds far-fetched but maybe there is a market for a G League that has all the top talent playing.
G League will never have any marketing appeal. It’s a minor league. Why watch the G league when you have the NBA?

The reason college hoops has such a following is school affiliation, established fan base and the NCAA tournament. Let’s face it, we only really care about the jerseys these kids wear.

G League will never have any marketing appeal. It’s a minor league. Why watch the G league when you have the NBA?

The reason college hoops has such a following is school affiliation, established fan base and the NCAA tournament. Let’s face it, we only really care about the jerseys these kids wear.

What if their season ran when NBA wasn't playing? I'm not saying it would definitely work, but I'm wondering if they think it might be viable and a product they could push on NBATV during the off-season.

What if their season ran when NBA wasn't playing? I'm not saying it would definitely work, but I'm wondering if they think it might be viable and a product they could push on NBATV during the off-season.
They do, it’s called the NBA summer leagues. Basically the same product.

$26k from Fort Wayne + $300k from Adidas isn’t a bad year. Hold out for NBA draft and make $2mm + increased shoe money...yeah, fairly easy to convince an 18 year old to follow that path.
I had a friend play a few seasons in the d league. They also get room and board, per diem, insurance, etc. I want to say one season there was even a fleet of vehicles they could check out. Yeah, it's not a ton of money, but the expenses are pretty much nothing.

the point is not that the kid chose the g-league or whatever, and what his compensation might be. the point is that our staff has been caught with its pants down again.

the point is not that the kid chose the g-league or whatever, and what his compensation might be. the point is that our staff has been caught with its pants down again.
Give me a break. Kid changed his path. Could have happened to any team with a top 20 recruit...well at least those teams that don’t play their recruits bag money.

So, a bit like hockey!

Right! Our staff should have aniticpated that the kid would have done something no other kid has ever done. Lazy bastages.

Last edited:
They do, it’s called the NBA summer leagues. Basically the same product.

Mostly the same product, but maybe a little shinier with all the top recruits in the country playing each other.

I like Bazley even more after this decision. Really smart kid. Screw the useless classes, the NCAA slave rules, etc. Go to a farm league where your sole purpose is to prepare for the NBA and be surrounded by NBA talent. This is the norm throughout the world with soccer. Manchester United signs 13 and 14 year olds to their youth leagues and develops them. How do you think Leo Messi got so good? They've been groomed for the professional leagues. None of this "education" BS so they can fall back on a $40k a year job, and we all have to pretend a college degree is worth anything or that anybody cares about these kids and their education or non-basketball future.

Screw the NCAA, hit them where it hurts. By not playing by their rules. Prosecute all the dirty coaches and athletic directors, put them in prison, and start a fresh college basketball league where players can make whatever the market is, leave whenever they want, and attract kids that actually care about education and the college experience. This is a disgrace what it has become. Congrats on Bazley for being a pioneer. If I was an NBA GM, he would be on my shortlist to draft. Ballsy and smart.

I had a friend play a few seasons in the d league. They also get room and board, per diem, insurance, etc. I want to say one season there was even a fleet of vehicles they could check out. Yeah, it's not a ton of money, but the expenses are pretty much nothing.

The more I have been thinking about the upside of the G-League, the more I am concerned about the future of college basketball. Gatorade taking over the league brings a lot of money into it and they know how to succeed. The G-League significantly benefits the players but has no fan base. The true upside is all about sponsorship money, on both sides of the aisle. It will allow sponsors (mainly shoe companies) to buy futures on a player's endorsement potential. They can lock Bazley into a 10-year deal at $50k per year with 3 years guaranteed and the remaining 7 years as a company option (all hypothetical numbers). They could even sell the sponsorship rights to other shoe companies if the roster is full on team Nike. If Bazley develops into an NBA star, they would have to pay 20x that amount of money to sign him to a shoe contract. Bazley probably makes $50k from a shoe company, maybe another $10k from Gatorade and whatever local commercials he can get. Bazley could pull in $200k next year while working on his game full-time with NBA style coaches. His other option is to play for free and earn credits toward a degree he likely will never complete. The G-League option does not suck for the players but it does suck for college B-ball fans!

The more I have been thinking about the upside of the G-League, the more I am concerned about the future of college basketball. Gatorade taking over the league brings a lot of money into it and they know how to succeed. The G-League significantly benefits the players but has no fan base. The true upside is all about sponsorship money, on both sides of the aisle. It will allow sponsors (mainly shoe companies) to buy futures on a player's endorsement potential. They can lock Bazley into a 10-year deal at $50k per year with 3 years guaranteed and the remaining 7 years as a company option (all hypothetical numbers). They could even sell the sponsorship rights to other shoe companies if the roster is full on team Nike. If Bazley develops into an NBA star, they would have to pay 20x that amount of money to sign him to a shoe contract. Bazley probably makes $50k from a shoe company, maybe another $10k from Gatorade and whatever local commercials he can get. Bazley could pull in $200k next year while working on his game full-time with NBA style coaches. His other option is to play for free and earn credits toward a degree he likely will never complete. The G-League option does not suck for the players but it does suck for college B-ball fans!

Once all the top prospects go to the G-league, fanbases will develop. Think AHL/QMJHL hockey leagues and AA/AAA baseball leagues. Many have very strong fan bases over the years. They will eventually have even more NBA leagues for lesser prospects who want to develop.

there needs to be a D League declare day.

this nonsense that this soon to never be heard from again player pulled, cannot happen again.