WLAX: Women's Div I Bracket | Syracusefan.com

WLAX: Women's Div I Bracket

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
Terps, Tar Heels Take Top Two Seeds in WD1 Tournament (LaxMag)

CEIFFCkVAAAjz4F.jpg

Sector SPDRs May Madness: WDI NCAA Tournament Bracket; Maryland No. 1 Seed (IL)

No. 1 Maryland enters the NCAA Tournament field as the top seed in the bracket of 26 teams, while former ACC foes No. 2 North Carolina, No. 3 Duke, No. 4 Syracuse and No. 5 Boston College round out the top five. For the first time in program history, No. 6 Stony Brook will play host to a pair of teams in NCAA action, while No. 7 Virginia and No. 8 Northwestern were the final teams announced to host first round action.

Bracket Breakdown: Dissecting the 26-Team D-I Women's Field (LaxMag)

The Carolinas and New Yorkers

Although they fell unexpectedly to Syracuse in the ACC championship after earning the No. 1 seed, North Carolina still took the No. 2 seed in the NCAAs and it was well deserved. The Tar Heels had docked wins over JMU, Florida, Northwestern, Virginia, Albany, Notre Dame, Louisville, Syracuse and Duke.

Then there's Duke taking the third seed after playing one of its best seasons in program history. It opened with a nine-game win streak, highlighted by a 15-9 rout of Northwestern. The Blue Devils, with the No. 4 RPI, suffered only three losses this year, to North Carolina and to Syracuse twice.

The Orange barreled through the ACC tournament, avenging regular season losses to Boston College, Duke and North Carolina, and won their first conference frown. They fell to Loyola 9-3 on Selection Sunday, likely dropping them below Duke once more, but overall, Syracuse boasts a top three RPI the top SOS, according to LaxPower.com. Is 2015 an Orange year?

Well, at least the ACC represented in one tournament...