Wolves Offer Batum | Syracusefan.com

Wolves Offer Batum

44cuse

All Conference
Pretty certain this is not a good sign for Wes.

Actually, it is a good sign for Wes. He may be getting out of Minnesota. But can they move the $4.2M Wes is making?

44cuse

I would think this is really bad news for Wes...

Pretty certain this is not a good sign for Wes.

Actually, it is a good sign for Wes. He may be getting out of Minnesota. But can they move the $4.2M Wes is making?

44cuse

How do you go from starter to D league?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Wes is a disappointment relative to his draft position, but he does have value - he has become a good 3 point shooter (hit over 40% over the final half of the season) and a good perimeter defender. However, at this point, he is not worth what he is being paid nor what it would take the Wolves to keep him on the roster beyond this year (I believe the team option to keep him next year is over $5M).

Not only have they offered Batum, but they also traded for Chase Budinger, so they will have two quality wings in rotation with Wes. It's now or never for him - he has to add more to his offensive game and continue to play good defense if he wants Minnesota to exercise that option. Otherwise, he will be looking for another team next season - I think he will get another job, but it will be at a much reduced rate.

How do you go from starter to D league?

I didn't say anything about D League. Where are you getting that from?

44cuse

Wes is a disappointment relative to his draft position, but he does have value - he has become a good 3 point shooter (hit over 40% over the final half of the season) and a good perimeter defender. However, at this point, he is not worth what he is being paid nor what it would take the Wolves to keep him on the roster beyond this year (I believe the team option to keep him next year is over $5M).

Not only have they offered Batum, but they also traded for Chase Budinger, so they will have two quality wings in rotation with Wes. It's now or never for him - he has to add more to his offensive game and continue to play good defense if he wants Minnesota to exercise that option. Otherwise, he will be looking for another team next season - I think he will get another job, but it will be at a much reduced rate.

He had 34 FTA's in 1,469 minutes and 65 GP. On a Per Game basis that is 0.5 FTA's per game. But it's hard to justify having a guy sit on the wing who shoots .314 from 3 (down .040 from the previous season). Now, from what I saw of the Wolves, I believe he was asked to stand on the perimeter and shoot...because that is literally all he did. And I cannot believe (even with how little regard I have the Wolves as a franchise and coaching staffs) that anyone would keep sending him out there with as little as Wes did if he wasn't being told to do that.

But I'm with you on all fronts. .200 pre break to .400 post break is a good jump and no doubt he defended better. I just think Wes is better than what he has shown in Minnesota and I blame Minnesota (even though that may be homerish and not realistic).

The team option is $5.4M next year which is the scenario that I think is setting up (but didn't get into in the original post). Wes has late 1st RD pick or early 2nd value, IMO. Combined with the fact that his current $4.2M is an expiring contract...there could be takers for that. No reason you get Budinger and Batum if that's not your plan.

44cuse

I did. Not out of the realm of possibility.

I don't think so...see my other post. If the Wolves go and get Batum and Budinger...they still have a $5.4M team option on Wes. Unlikely they see enough from him the D League this year to exercise that option. That lives the value as a combination of his expiring and his draft position. They'd be stupid (assuming Batum/Budinger) to keep him through a D League experiment and pick up the option.

44cuse

I didn't say anything about D League. Where are you getting that from?

44cuse

Quoted the wring post obviously. Sobecuse said that.

Quoted the wring post obviously. Sobecuse said that.

Yeah, I didn't see his post as I just read your response. Figured that was the case...just didn't delete my post because I was responding to moqui at the time.

If they send him to the league, the Wolves will assume the worst franchise in the league status.

44cuse

Yeah, I didn't see his post as I just read your response. Figured that was the case...just didn't delete my post because I was responding to moqui at the time.

If they send him to the league, the Wolves will assume the worst franchise in the league status.

44cuse

They could already be right up there with Charlotte with the botched draft picks (ouch), Rambis, Kahn, etc. I'm just trying to be a realist. The way (I think) they are using Wes is wrong but he has not helped himself. I just wouldn't be surprised if he is in the D-League in any uniform.

They could already be right up there with Charlotte with the botched draft picks (ouch), Rambis, Kahn, etc. I'm just trying to be a realist. The way (I think) they are using Wes is wrong but he has not helped himself. I just wouldn't be surprised if he is in the D-League in any uniform.

Well, they other way to think of it is what the D League does to Wes' value. He still has early 1st value associated with him. Probably smarter for the Wolves to do whatever they can to keep the perception of that value high. The D League would likely minimize that value.

Who knows...we'll see how it plays out over the next couple of months I guess.

44cuse

Blazers match Wolves' offer, so Wes has a little breathing room this year

still don't expect Minnesota to pick up his option

Blazers match Wolves' offer, so Wes has a little breathing room this year

still don't expect Minnesota to pick up his option

He looked better the other night. But agreed...unless he has a big season, they're not picking up that option. BTW, I'm looking for data on draft history and team options (pick ups). In other words, I want to figure out the percentage of players that get picked up on their option years. If you happen to know where it might be, point me to it. I know how to get it the hard way...but it's a lot of work.

44cuse

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom