Worst Coaching Decision...... | Syracusefan.com

Worst Coaching Decision......

newmexicuse

All Conference
other than the obvious absolute refusal to not play Zone for even two possessions in a row.

It was late in the game, we were down about 5 points and pressing. For some unknown reason Jimmy substitutes in Marek for Chuk. Marek, instead of protecting the hoop gets lost at mid-court. They throw and end to end pass for a layup. Game over.

Why was Chuk not in and protecting the hoop in a press situation ????? He has just stopped them single handedly the possession before if I am remembering correctly.

I think we were in 'sellout' press mode at that point. Marek was in probably to help trap, which Chewy can't do. Marek jumped the wrong guy when the pass was thrown. My only guess is that he didn't see the guy behind him.

Sometimes you make a substitution to stop the clock and let the press get set up. The issue was more Marek’s decision to play up and let Baylor sneak a guy deep.

I think we were in 'sellout' press mode at that point. Marek was in probably to help trap, which Chewy can't do. Marek jumped the wrong guy when the pass was thrown. My only guess is that he didn't see the guy behind him.

Probably right on that, especially given the number of times it also happened in the half court.
noidea.gif

Sometimes you make a substitution to stop the clock and let the press get set up. The issue was more Marek’s decision to play up and let Baylor sneak a guy deep.
Can't substitute unless it's already a dead ball

Can't substitute unless it's already a dead ball
Yes, but after a make, the play restarts quickly. You sub, you buy your guys some time. And it did, only Marek let the Baylor guy get deep.

Marek was not at his best on the Defensive end last night.

Marek’s play down the stretch of the season was not so good this year. Not sure why.