is this the worst scoring team in five years

• yes

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • no

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

kcsu

Living Legend
Too many problems to list but at the end of the day we do not have much O. Key going forward if James doesnt come back is to rebound and run. No chance against Pitt as we gave up way to many second chances. We simply do not have anyone on this team who is a pure scorer.

Of course it is.

2010-2011 was fairly limited, but still not quite as much as this one seems right now.

The 2007-2008 had it's moments, but they were better as well. Remember how bad a three point shooter Donte was? He outshoots all of our guards from deep.

We average 13 more ppg with Southerland. So yes, if he doesn't come back it's our worst offensive team in a while, but I think we're better defensively than we have been.

We average 13 more ppg with Southerland. So yes, if he doesn't come back it's our worst offensive team in a while, but I think we're better defensively than we have been.
I dont agree we are weak low. Christmas looks lost out there. We need someone to coach our bigs and soon

I dont agree we are weak low. Christmas looks lost out there. We need someone to coach our bigs and soon
Christmas is a better rebounder than Melo was, although obviously he's not as good of a shot blocker. But MCW (when he gives full effort) is every bit as good of a defender as Waiters was, Triche is Triche, and Scoop was our weakest perimeter guy last year. I almost want to say Grant plays the wing better than Joseph did.

when you dont have outside scoring and you dont have inside scoring...what do you have? fastbreak scoring..one on one scoring..stuff that good defenses dont allow you to do. we will beat the crap out of teams with finesse defenses and we will be in for tough nights against the other types of teams.

How do you figure?

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

How do you figure?

Christmas is a better rebounder than Melo was, although obviously he's not as good of a shot blocker. But MCW (when he gives full effort) is every bit as good of a defender as Waiters was, Triche is Triche, and Scoop was our weakest perimeter guy last year. I almost want to say Grant plays the wing better than Joseph did.

Offensively? Without Southerland I just don't think we have as many answers as we have in the past. I love what Triche has done and I love Fair, but MCW/Rak/Grant have been inconsistent offensively.

Offensively? Without Southerland I just don't think we have as many answers as we have in the past. I love what Triche has done and I love Fair, but MCW/Rak/Grant have been inconsistent offensively.

How do you figure we score 13ppg less without James? That's the statement I was questioning.

We average 3 more points per game with him in the big east. It's easy to say we average more when we play Monmouth than we do when we play Pitt.

How do you figure we score 13ppg less without James? That's the statement I was questioning.

Oh. Mike Patrick said it yesterday, we were averaging 79ppg with James, 66ppg without him.

Oh. Mike Patrick said it yesterday, we were averaging 79ppg with James, 66ppg without him.

He's an idiot.

C'mon bees, it's simple math. Southerland is averaging 13.6 points a game. Do the addition/subtraction.

Just kidding.

And yes you are absolutely correct about Mike Patrick.

Yeah I think the number might technically be right, but it's obviously incredibly misleading.

Believe it or not, for the season, we're 13th in the country in adjusted offensive efficiency. In BE play, we're third in the league. I don't feel like dividing up the numbers since James went out. We're only sixth defensively in the BE in defensive efficiency.

Something else I just noticed; we've only played 3 home games in the league so far. 5 of the last 7 have been on the road. I'm looking at the schedule, and I think we're going to get healthy in the next few weeks.

Yeah I think the number might technically be right, but it's obviously incredibly misleading.

Believe it or not, for the season, we're 13th in the country in adjusted offensive efficiency. In BE play, we're third in the league. I don't feel like dividing up the numbers since James went out. We're only sixth defensively in the BE in defensive efficiency.

Something else I just noticed; we've only played 3 home games in the league so far. 5 of the last 7 have been on the road. I'm looking at the schedule, and I think we're going to get healthy in the next few weeks.

This is my issue with advanced stats... any stats which shed any positive light on our offense currently are totally bonkers. I know what my eyes are telling me and we have a terrible offense. I'm guessing the 3rd in BE comes from when James was playing and when we were playing the easier teams.

This trend happens every year... we select for athletes who can play the zone D and ignore the part about being needing to basketball basics like shoot, post up, dribble, etc... So every year when we get into BE play against teams who know how to play against the zone and not turn the ball over our offense goes into the shitter because we don't have good basketball players for the most part we have good athletes. Our HOF coach is reading too many of the press clippings about his zone and has over-corrected for it in his recruiting. He needs to go back to recruiting the Allen Griffin's and the GMACs and move away from the MCW's of the world.

This is my issue with advanced stats... any stats which shed any positive light on our offense currently are totally bonkers. I know what my eyes are telling me and we have a terrible offense. I'm guessing the 3rd in BE comes from when James was playing and when we were playing the easier teams.

They've done ok scoring even in some games with James out. Last game was poor, 55 points in 65 possessions.

Nova was ok, 71 points in 68 possessions. Cincy was pretty good, 57 points in 53 possessions. Louisville was amazing, 70 points in 63 possessions against one of the better defenses in the country. The first Nova game they were at 1.10.

So you can see a definite trend down. The first 2 games without James they didn't seem to miss him; right around 1.1 points per possession. Then the next two games they were down, but still reasonable. And last game was really bad.

Notre Dame is one of the worst defensive teams in the conference, so th ey should have a pretty good offensive game tonight.

This trend happens every year... we select for athletes who can play the zone D and ignore the part about being needing to basketball basics like shoot, post up, dribble, etc... So every year when we get into BE play against teams who know how to play against the zone and not turn the ball over our offense goes into the shitter because we don't have good basketball players for the most part we have good athletes. Our HOF coach is reading too many of the press clippings about his zone and has over-corrected for it in his recruiting. He needs to go back to recruiting the Allen Griffin's and the GMACs and move away from the MCW's of the world.

Ruh roh...get ready...'how many games have you won,' etc. :)

Our HOF coach is reading too many of the press clippings about his zone and has over-corrected for it in his recruiting. He needs to go back to recruiting the Allen Griffin's and the GMACs and move away from the MCW's of the world.

What? So, don't recruit one of the guys in the conversation for the best PG in the country?

I don't see where the G recruiting is the problem...

With James we are pretty good. Rememebr much of what we have seen is teams learning to defend us without James and seeing some tape on what Grant will do. Teams have adjusted which means our sets take longer and the pace slows. Also getting out to a lead changes the pace against our zone and increases the pace were we generally do better as well.
IF we win tonight without James and get him back the rest of the way we win the BE IMO.

We just finished with the best run in Big East history, who exactly in the Big East has been good against our zone the past few years? Pitt. Who else? Maybe ND? We've beaten Louisville 3 in a row, UConn hasn't beat us in the regular season in about 4 or 5 years, we've had Marquette and Cincinnati's number, and obviously St.Johns/Seton Hall/PC/Rutgers/USF aren't issues. I think we've had pretty good basketball players, who also happen to be good athletes.

We just finished with the best run in Big East history, who exactly in the Big East has been good against our zone the past few years? Pitt. Who else? Maybe ND? We've beaten Louisville 3 in a row, UConn hasn't beat us in the regular season in about 4 or 5 years, we've had Marquette and Cincinnati's number, and obviously St.Johns/Seton Hall/PC/Rutgers/USF aren't issues. I think we've had pretty good basketball players, who also happen to be good athletes.

yeah but we've lost 2 in a row!!!!

With James we are pretty good. Rememebr much of what we have seen is teams learning to defend us without James and seeing some tape on what Grant will do. Teams have adjusted which means our sets take longer and the pace slows. Also getting out to a lead changes the pace against our zone and increases the pace were we generally do better as well.
IF we win tonight without James and get him back the rest of the way we win the BE IMO.
If we win tonight and get JS back on Sunday I'd say this suspension was almost a good thing. If JS had played the past few games, yeah we might have beaten Pitt and Nova, but I also think we wouldn't see Grant more than 6 minutes in either game or the rest of the season. But I think JB likes what Grant did with his PT (40 minutes vs. Pitt), so he should get at least 15 mpg from here on out. We can give CJ a few minutes rest per game (which he needs), and we can bump JS to the top of the zone so we aren't as reliant as Cooney as the 3rd G.

I'd hope we'd something like this if Southerland comes back:
BT: 35 mpg
MCW: 35 mpg
Fair: 37 mpg
Southerland: 32 mpg
Rak: 27 mpg
Keita: 13 mpg
Grant: 18 mpg
Cooney : 3 mpg
(2oo minutes)

Do you think we keep Grant in the starting lineup and let JS come off the bench again?

yeah but we've lost 2 in a row!!!!
Yes -- and the Nova game was going our way until MCW fumbled it away in the last 3 minutes of regulation. And we lost, in part, due to foul trouble to Grant and Baye.

The Pitt game, though, was a downer because Pitt exposed our bigs. Would like to see Rak & Baye get something (anything!) tonight to show they can bounce back.

This is our best defensive team in terms of points per possession (rankings wise - 7th in the country) in several years.

We have no pure scorers and we do not have an inside threat. This is not a good O team. Sweet 16 would be a huge accomplishment