Would any of Kentucky's freshmen start for us? | Syracusefan.com

Would any of Kentucky's freshmen start for us?

OrangeFoo

All American
Or would they ride the pine because they wouldn't know the zone well enough. I bet Randle wouldn't play because he is too small for center and not quick enough for the wing... Then again Rick Jackson was a 4 year stater.

It was so refreshing to see players who could actually put the ball in the hoop...although I am a fan of the dribble drive offense. With our point guards I bet we would look good playing it and it's not that different from our iso sets. For everyone who gives Calimari crap about his coaching, he got a bunch of freshmen to play some good offense eventually... Something we haven't had since 2010.

Rick Jackson was not a 4 year starter. He didn't play that much as a freshman,

Randle is one of best pure PFs I have ever seen at the college level as a freshman and that pass to Harrison was amazing.

Randle for sure and we most likely could have played James Young at 2 guard for his great shooting

Randle is one of best pure PFs I have ever seen at the college level as a freshman and that pass to Harrison was amazing.
That's true but would he have started over Grant and Fair? Wouldnt have played Center in our zone. As crazy as it sounds im not 100% sure Randle would not have started for us this year.

Both Harrisons and Young would start at the 2 and Randle would start at the 2.

vvv
That's true but would he have started over Grant and Fair? Wouldnt have played Center in our zone. As crazy as it sounds im not 100% sure Randle would not have started for us this year.
Of course he would have. Coleman started for us.

I mean it's a system issue with him. He would be the best basketball player but probably not quick enough to be a 4 defensively in this system. He would foul out Rak/Baye/DaJuan quickly if they were to play him, lol.

Anyone who thinks Randle would not have started for SU is firmly off the rail when it comes to discussing JB not playing freshman.
It's not about JB playing freshman, it's about his loyalty to players who have been here and his requirements for the zone.

Or would they ride the pine because they wouldn't know the zone well enough. I bet Randle wouldn't play because he is too small for center and not quick enough for the wing... Then again Rick Jackson was a 4 year stater.

It was so refreshing to see players who could actually put the ball in the hoop...although I am a fan of the dribble drive offense. With our point guards I bet we would look good playing it and it's not that different from our iso sets. For everyone who gives Calimari crap about his coaching, he got a bunch of freshmen to play some good offense eventually... Something we haven't had since 2010.

I love the Dribble Drive Motion Offense because of the inside-out play and up-tempo pace that it promotes.

To run the Dribble Drive Motion Offense, though, a team needs players that can take their defenders one-on-one off of the bounce and that can hit the three consistently when the defense collapses to stop the penetration. It also needs a post player that can catch the ball on the move and score.

This year's players would not have succeeded with that offense. On the other hand, if it was SU's primary offense year-to-year, most of the players on this year's team wouldn't be here.

It's not about JB playing freshman, it's about his loyalty to players who have been here and his requirements for the zone.
His utmost loyalty is to winning games. Randle would have started from day 1. And he would be fantastic for our zone since it's susceptible to having problems on the boards. A rebounder like Randle would have been a godsend. Not to mention having an interior scorer would have solved a problem we have had for some time.

I know he's not a center per se but who would you rather have in the game Randle or Christmas? Geez I'd really have to ponder that one. Speaking of starting freshman, Mr. Christmas will be a four year starter at SU. That's kinda crazy, no?

Randle would start at the 4 for us. We were starting Rak at the 4 this year. Randle is pretty mobile for someone his size anyways. Whether or not we would have fed him the ball in the post is a better question.

I'd honestly probably take our starters over any of their other freshman though.

The only other guy that gets major minutes for them that I think would start for us is Cauley-Stein.

Melancer46 said:
Randle would start at the 4 for us. We were starting Rak at the 4 this year. Randle is pretty mobile for someone his size anyways. Whether or not we would have fed him the ball in the post is a better question. I'd honestly probably take our starters over any of their other freshman though. The only other guy that gets major minutes for them that I think would start for us is Cauley-Stein.

Harrison twins probably would have started for us this year from the start.

Harrison twins probably would have started for us this year from the start.

Really? I'm not as high on Ennis as most here, but he was easily better than the Harrison's this year. And statistically, Cooney was better than both of them as well. People are so high on them all of a sudden because they've come together at the right time, but our starting guards were better than theirs overall this year.

Melancer46 said:
Really? I'm not as high on Ennis as most here, but he was easily better than the Harrison's this year. And statistically, Cooney was better than both of them as well. People are so high on them all of a sudden because they've come together at the right time, but our starting guards were better than theirs overall this year.

I was just saying if the arrived here on campus at the beginning of the year. Don't disagree that Ennis was better than them but when all the stats were at 0 in the beginning of the season I don't think for a second they would have sat on the bench for us.

I was just saying if the arrived here on campus at the beginning of the year. Don't disagree that Ennis was better than them but when all the stats were at 0 in the beginning of the season I don't think for a second they would have sat on the bench for us.

Ahhh gotcha. Yeah I guess that would probably be true.

LET ME MAKE THIS CLEAR, IF THE FRESHMAN CAN PLAY AND START THEY WILL. POINT MICHAEL EDWARDS USE TO START THEN RED AUTRY AND MOTEN CAME AND NEXT THING YOU KNOW EDWARDS DOES NOT PLAY ANYMORE. SAME THING WITH JOSH WRIGHT. HE WAS IN THE SYSTEM, HOWEVER FLYNN WAS BETTER. COME ON PEOPLE WAKE THE YOU KNOW WHAT UP!!!!!!!!!!

LET ME MAKE THIS CLEAR, IF THE FRESHMAN CAN PLAY AND START THEY WILL. POINT MICHAEL EDWARDS USE TO START THEN RED AUTRY AND MOTEN CAME AND NEXT THING YOU KNOW EDWARDS DOES NOT PLAY ANYMORE. SAME THING WITH JOSH WRIGHT. HE WAS IN THE SYSTEM, HOWEVER FLYNN WAS BETTER. COME ON PEOPLE WAKE THE YOU KNOW WHAT UP!!!!!
Gilardino also loves lamp, if anyone was wondering.