Would ND join the Catholic league | Syracusefan.com

Would ND join the Catholic league

SBU72

All Conference
With their recent success in football revitalizing their choice to remain independent in football, does Notre Dame now consider the basketball only chatholic league as an opition? I know they are "commited" to some agreement with the ACC but joining a b-ball only league eliminates conference pressure to join in football too. ND would be a great get for the league with say Xavier, Butler, Creighton, St. Louis and Dayton. That would be a pretty good 12 team league.

No way the ACC would keep ND in for all sports except football and basketball. So, no they aren't leaving.

ND wouldn't be just joining a basketball league. They'd be joining for Baseball, LAX, Volleyball, Soccer, etc...

Who do you think has the stronger "non-football" sports ... the ACC, or the C7 with Xavier, St Louis, and Butler?

With their recent success in football revitalizing their choice to remain independent in football, does Notre Dame now consider the basketball only chatholic league as an opition? I know they are "commited" to some agreement with the ACC but joining a b-ball only league eliminates conference pressure to join in football too. ND would be a great get for the league with say Xavier, Butler, Creighton, St. Louis and Dayton. That would be a pretty good 12 team league.
This from the Katz blog on Friday:

Notre Dame coach Mike Brey said on the ESPNU College Basketball Podcast Thursday that the Irish had talked to the other seven Catholic schools about forming a national Catholic conference. If the ACC option didn't occur then the Irish would have bolted with the rest. That shows how much this has been discussed and was a distinct possibility. Pitt coach Jamie Dixon also said on the same podcast that he was told the reason Marquette and DePaul were added 10 years ago was to ensure the five Catholic schools had seven members to retain an NCAA bid if they decided to leave. He said the eventual split of football and non-football was always inevitable, and may have actually happened later than predicted.

No way the ACC would keep ND in for all sports except football and basketball. So, no they aren't leaving.
I think the ACC bowl tie-ins will keep ND from joining the C7 ("Big Priest"). Because, football drives the bus.

Lets see Notre Dame can play[ Georgetown, Villanova, Marquette, St Johns, Xavier, Butler] or[ North Carolina, Duke, Syracuse, Louisville, Pittsburgh, North Carolina St]. Group A is nice , but group B is a better fit.

Lets see Notre Dame can play[ Georgetown, Villanova, Marquette, St Johns, Xavier, Butler] or[ North Carolina, Duke, Syracuse, Louisville, Pittsburgh, North Carolina St]. Group A is nice , but group B is a better fit.

They might actually win Group A once in a while, that's a pipedream for B though.

I sure wish they would go there. If they don't give in on the football question, they should be forced to go there.

I think the ACC bowl tie-ins will keep ND from joining the C7 ("Big Priest"). Because, football drives the bus.
Point is being #1 re-enforces their indepence strenght so they don't need to have a conference bowl tie-in. Their football drives their own bus. As somebody pointed out, they could win the catholic league ocassionally. In the ACC they hope to finsih in the top third.