wouldn't it be nice to have a year end where we aren't reliving calls | Syracusefan.com

wouldn't it be nice to have a year end where we aren't reliving calls

ugh

• crap

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • balls

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Millhouse

Living Legend
how many years in a row has it been?

every sport has horrible weaknesses. baseball games take too long, football too violent, hockey too violent and too random, soccer, too hard to score... in basketball the refs matter too much.

i know the meathead thing to do is pretend like refs either don't make mistakes or that it all evens out but there's going to be some randomness even if you're totally charitable... we've called heads and gotten tails 4 or 5 years in a row now to end the season.

on triche's last drive, it seemed to me like his intent and the defenders intent was to get a whistle, both guys thought the call was going to go their way. the defender wasn't really trying to defend the ball and triche wasn't really trying to score there. (i'm doing moqui-esque mind reading here, i know).

the last game ended the way I kinda generally expected their last game to end all along but the bright side is that they got so many more games in than I expected. i would've thought they'd lose a game like that the first weekend.

i do wish they had let fair win or lose it for them at the end

Start calling games like the NBA, period.

The NCAA should literally just adopt all the NBA rules. Push back the three point line, open the cutting lanes, call hand checking and make a charge only a charge if the offensive player is out of control or trying to bully to the rim.

Great defenders should be rewarded for playing great defense. Same with offensive players. But trying to win the 50/50 calls as a strategy is ruining the game. No hand checking calls? Let's slap the crap out of the ball handler. Not calling the holds and grabs? Ride that wing like a mechanical bull. Guy has the ball within five feet of the bucket? Tackle him.

I'm not saying this as a bitter fan. I think if we played UM 10 times on a neutral court, we would win about half of them. I just hate that the charge call at the end of the game was so suspect.

Yeah I agree with the above post 100%. I hate the charge call, and I'd hate it if the teams were reversed. (Obviously I'd like the outcome, but the process behind how the call gets made). I think on close plays like t hat the ref should need to find a reason to call a charge; in other words, the default assumption should be it's a block.

I also think that in any close game we lose to end the season, there are going to be calls made that we don't like, it's inevitable.

Watching the Knicks-Thunder game from yesterday and the game Sat night; there's just a world of difference between the two games. Obviously the level of play in the NBA is on another planet as compared to college, but the game is also officiated in a way to let that talent shine through. (Also obviously, I don't want to get too carried away. It's not like the officiating in the NBA is perfect or anything)

the game is also officiated in a way to let that talent shine through. (Also obviously, I don't want to get too carried away. It's not like the officiating in the NBA is perfect or anything)
Yeah, whodathunk we'd be looking at the NBA as the best model for officiating? :noidea::crazy:

I may be in the minority, but the Ohio St game was easier to swallow for me because it was an equal opportunity suckfest for 40 minutes. Saturday night was called much better for 38min's, but they did more in the last 2min's to determine the outcome than the previous year, imo.

I do agree with the above that block/charge should not be as complicated as announcers make it out to be. Just go to the Jay Bilas philosophy of "if it's not obvious, it's a block". They did that when Michigan was on offense and I was fine with that.

Honestly I haven't watched much NBA since the Heat-Mavericks 2006 fiasco (and I didn't even have a rooting interest). Has it gotten any better the last few years?

I would much prefer the Oklahoma outcome of just getting beat. Every year, it's something odd.

As far as the NBA goes, the offensive player gets the benefit of the doubt most often. It's a wide open game.

I may be in the minority, but the Ohio St game was easier to swallow for me because it was an equal opportunity suckfest for 40 minutes. Saturday night was called much better for 38min's, but they did more in the last 2min's to determine the outcome than the previous year, imo.

I do agree with the above that block/charge should not be as complicated as announcers make it out to be. Just go to the Jay Bilas philosophy of "if it's not obvious, it's a block". They did that when Michigan was on offense and I was fine with that.

Honestly I haven't watched much NBA since the Heat-Mavericks 2006 fiasco (and I didn't even have a rooting interest). Has it gotten any better the last few years?

The problem in the Ohio State game was the volume of fouls called, which disrupted the flow of the game and hurt the running team, (us) more than the half-court team(the Buckeyes). This game was called OK for 38 minutes, then we got three calls in the last two minutes that fouled out our back court. Two of them were bad and one was 50-50.

I'd have an easier time taking the Brandon charge if MCW wasn't called for a block on virtually the same play in the first half. There were four block/charge calls in the game that could have gone either way, and all four went against us.

I don't think the refs were the reason we lost at all. Sure we could have had 6-8 points maybe to win, but that was so minor compared to our bad first half and Mike and Southerland. Plus I just kept getting the feeling mike or southerland were going to break out or we would score 6-7 straight baskets but it never happened.

In my opinions, OSU was a travesty not this one. I never want the oklahoma outcome of just getting beat. Ending the year feeling infererior is a epic fail. We could have took this thing, and beat louisville who we matched up good against. I think just knowing that even if it is a bigger kind of hurt has more pride and success in it. Its also better for recruits to see.

I don't think the refs were the reason we lost at all. Sure we could have had 6-8 points maybe to win, but that was so minor compared to our bad first half and Mike and Southerland. Plus I just kept getting the feeling mike or southerland were going to break out or we would score 6-7 straight baskets but it never happened.

In my opinions, OSU was a travesty not this one. I never want the oklahoma outcome of just getting beat. Ending the year feeling infererior is a epic fail. We could have took this thing, and I think just knowing that even if it is a bigger kind of hurt has more pride and success in it. Its also better for recruits to see.

I'd rather feel that we legitmately lost than to feel we were cheated.

I just still can't believe that 4th foul call on MCW. How can you call that? Ref was standing right there. If they want to make a rule that the offensive player needs more room to work and you can't crowd them, then fine. But Rick Pitino would need to immediately retire.

Yeah, we could have made more shots. Michigan made some great outside shots that were very deep and that you can't really defend. But MCW being in that game at the end could have very well made a difference.

The charge/block thing is as bad as pass interference in football. I give up on that one. There's a apparently a stated rule, but everyone has a different interpretation of it. It makes the sport less interesting.

Not that I'm bitter.

Although the officiating in last year's OSU game clearly affected the outcome, the answer is no. We don't appear to be capable of losing and not blaming the officials. I'm pretty sure that after every single loss this year, the board was liberally peppered with posts blaming the officiating.

This year, the bad calls came at a bad time and all in a row. Even so, there's no way to know if we got the better or worse of the officiating without going through every single play with objective eyes including everything not caught on camera. Who knows, we might have gotten the better of officiating but there's no way to know. That's why you shouldn't blame officiating except in extreme circumstances like last year where they prevented the game from being played.

@Millhouse & all - while I am not one for conspiracy theories, I believe it was the "same ref" that called the last 3-4 fouls against us. I am here in Atlanta so if someone cares to watch the replay, that would be the only question mark on the whole game because there was no balance provided by that 1 ref in the final minutes.

However, we had so many open missed shots that really caused us to lose that game so I am not blaming the refs because it was really decided because of poor shooting on our part as they have been offensively challenged all season long.

how many years in a row has it been?

i know the meathead thing to do is pretend like refs either don't make mistakes or that it all evens out but there's going to be some randomness even if you're totally charitable... we've called heads and gotten tails 4 or 5 years in a row now to end the season.

This is part of the problem. Calling out officiating to the point where holistic change is necessary is the only way for things to happen. We operate as though calling out the officials is a casual fan frustration while being taboo to players and coaches lobbying for it. Until it becomes politically correct to challenge officiating we are not going to get anywhere to make it better. It seems nearly every sport is moving the needle further with use of video replay. Basketball may be the one sport where a foul requires video evidence.

In football you lose yardage, in soccer there is a free kick and the occassional penalty shot. Hockey is a spot in the penalty box or occasional penalty shot. In basketball - fouls result in strategy, key players on the bench because of the risk of being dq'd and allowing the officials to be in a position where they can impact the outcome of the game significantly.

Because a foul can have so many consequences ( free throws, dq's, change of possession), coaches should be allowed to ask for a video review. The only hope would be that instituting these game flow impacting changes would improve how the game is played. I agree with going to NBA rules as well but I think you can take it even further.

You have to be at least bothered that in the last two minutes, the refs make three questionable calls which eliminate two of your best players in a one possession game. A no call is better than a call. Not only am I pissed off, but I am absolutely paranoid. Which match-up would make the most money? SU-Louisville round IV or Michigan-Louisville, featuring POY Trey Burke. The powers that be decided that Michigan (and Louisville, for that matter) would have better ratings and short of a clear-cut SU victory, they would give Michigan the benefit of the doubt.

It's the NCAA and CBS: they're there to make money and sell a product, not facilitate the game in the fairest way possible.

You have to be at least bothered that in the last two minutes, the refs make three questionable calls which eliminate two of your best players in a one possession game. A no call is better than a call. Not only am I pissed off, but I am absolutely paranoid. Which match-up would make the most money? SU-Louisville round IV or Michigan-Louisville, featuring POY Trey Burke. The powers that be decided that Michigan (and Louisville, for that matter) would have better ratings and short of a clear-cut SU victory, they would give Michigan the benefit of the doubt.

It's the NCAA and CBS: they're there to make money and sell a product, not facilitate the game in the fairest way possible.

I don't like the whole conspiracy theory as it seems far fetched - with that said some of the actions and dirty laundry exposing the NCAA does make you question the legitmacy of what is supposed to be a neutral organization that favors no one and is only interested in the well being of student athletes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom