wow...an FSU professor piles on | Syracusefan.com

wow...an FSU professor piles on

How about this excerpt:

"I've had dealings with the handlers. My biggest issue was with a gentle giant of a lineman who was new to college, and to reading, and had trouble making it to the morning class. On the few occasions he made it to class (late) and didn't fall dead asleep, his earnest writing, both in style and structure, was that of an elementary school student. He never turned a paper in on time, but when I contacted the handlers to warn them of his status, a pile of final drafts would suddenly materialize, full of fairly complex, organized thoughts and diction—thoughts that hadn't made it into earlier drafts I'd seen. I was bombarded with regular long emails from handlers explaining how I should arrange extra meetings with the player and extend deadlines for him. But he couldn't overcome his absences, and when I informed them through a mentor that he wouldn't pass and it was too late to drop the class, I was asked if I could give him an "incomplete," even though he didn't qualify for one. I said no.
This was a problem: My lineman was already on academic probation for poor performance in his first semester. Should I flunk him, he would lose his eligibility. At the end of the term, when I went online to enter my students' grades, his name didn't appear on the roster. He had been administratively disappeared from the rolls—a medical withdrawal, I heard, though I wondered what malady rendered him unable to attend class but capable of playing 40 or 50 snaps every Saturday."

Most of us know what goes on, but it's fun to see this out in the open. This will circle into the national spotlight. Level the playing field.

How about this excerpt:

"I've had dealings with the handlers. My biggest issue was with a gentle giant of a lineman who was new to college, and to reading, and had trouble making it to the morning class. On the few occasions he made it to class (late) and didn't fall dead asleep, his earnest writing, both in style and structure, was that of an elementary school student. He never turned a paper in on time, but when I contacted the handlers to warn them of his status, a pile of final drafts would suddenly materialize, full of fairly complex, organized thoughts and diction—thoughts that hadn't made it into earlier drafts I'd seen. I was bombarded with regular long emails from handlers explaining how I should arrange extra meetings with the player and extend deadlines for him. But he couldn't overcome his absences, and when I informed them through a mentor that he wouldn't pass and it was too late to drop the class, I was asked if I could give him an "incomplete," even though he didn't qualify for one. I said no.
This was a problem: My lineman was already on academic probation for poor performance in his first semester. Should I flunk him, he would lose his eligibility. At the end of the term, when I went online to enter my students' grades, his name didn't appear on the roster. He had been administratively disappeared from the rolls—a medical withdrawal, I heard, though I wondered what malady rendered him unable to attend class but capable of playing 40 or 50 snaps every Saturday."

Most of us know what goes on, but it's fun to see this out in the open. This will circle into the national spotlight. Level the playing field.

That sounds sadly familiar.

I'd love for a UK faculty member to spill the beans one day. But nobody would be that foolish in Lexington I'm sure. It would be like crossing the mafia.

I'm sure a faculty member at any D1 school could submit similar stories. This is the reality of big-time college athletics...and it's time for the NCAA to stop the charade.

I'm a GD HYPOCRITE. I despise what D1 athletics has become and would like to see nothing more than the whole ESPN-NCAA sh#t-show closed down once and for all. Yet I can't help but cheer on my Orangemen as I continue to delude myself that none of this crap goes on up on the Hill; that somehow only we do it the right way. Time for a drink.

How about this excerpt:

really.jpg

I'm a GD HYPOCRITE. I despise what D1 athletics has become and would like to see nothing more than the whole ESPN-NCAA sh#t-show closed down once and for all. Yet I can't help but cheer on my Orangemen as I continue to delude myself that none of this crap goes on up on the Hill; that somehow only we do it the right way. Time for a drink.

Our problem is we're not cheating enough.

I'm sure a faculty member at any D1 school could submit similar stories. This is the reality of big-time college athletics...and it's time for the NCAA to stop the charade.

Let's be honest though... some schools stretch/snap the limits.

Agree Rocco, but with millions on the table for schools, admins, coaches and athletes it's not a surprise. The "penalty" to Haith for taking money from a booster and giving it to a kid will only encourage more people to stretch the limits.

I really don't care if any of our players go to class. They're not receiving scholarships to cure cancer, they're receiving them to represent my school and win football games.

I don't think there is a school out there that doesn't have athlete friendly professors, some obviously more than others. Seriously, can anyone with a straight face actually say that Alabama and LSU don't? You never see these kids held out for grades unless they lost their starting position and no longer fill a need. Hell, they get arrested and if they miss any games at all it's vs What the Heck State.