wow: confessions of a college hoop fixer | Syracusefan.com

wow: confessions of a college hoop fixer

High level college athletes, playing for high level programs, in the major sports that earn millions upon millions of dollars for the schools, are generally not there to learn. I'd be hard pressed to say this bothers me. Considering the entity that is supposedly looking out for the athlete-students (sorry, student-athletes) is rarely acting for the purposes of improving or protecting the education of the athletes, I can't say there's any chance it will change either.

High level college athletes, playing for high level programs, in the major sports that earn millions upon millions of dollars for the schools, are generally not there to learn. I'd be hard pressed to say this bothers me. Considering the entity that is supposedly looking out for the athlete-students (sorry, student-athletes) is rarely acting for the purposes of improving or protecting the education of the athletes, I can't say there's any chance it will change either.

Agreed and really the first year should be stuff that would help them should they go pro early. Basic money management as in how little it takes with compounding interest to be set for life. Health and fitness classes. Media relations ect. If they don't get drafted early and look like they won't be pro's the school could allow for these classes to roll into any number of undergrad degrees and then help them figure out what they want to be studying seriously the rest of the way.

Agreed and really the first year should be stuff that would help them should they go pro early. Basic money management as in how little it takes with compounding interest to be set for life. Health and fitness classes. Media relations ect. If they don't get drafted early and look like they won't be pro's the school could allow for these classes to roll into any number of undergrad degrees and then help them figure out what they want to be studying seriously the rest of the way.
great ideas

great ideas

I will admit to cobbling them together from things I've read and heard on the topic over the years. So yes good ideas IMO but by no means original to me.