Wow! SEC is 8th best in Conference RPI | Syracusefan.com

Wow! SEC is 8th best in Conference RPI

Shermthegeneral

Starter
I was checking out realtimerpi and saw that the SEC is ranked 8th behind the A10. I would be embarrassed if I were them!

Rankings

1. Big 10
2. Mountain West
3. Big East
4. ACC
5. Big 12
6. PAC 12
7. A10
8. SEC
9. The Valley
10. West Coast

I was checking out realtimerpi and saw that the SEC is ranked 8th behind the A10. I would be embarrassed if I were them!

Rankings

1. Big 10
2. Mountain West
3. Big East
4. ACC
5. Big 12
6. PAC 12
7. A10
8. SEC
9. The Valley
10. West Coast

Its been like that for about 6-7 weeks. Sad

Rankings

1. Big 10
2. Mountain West
3. Big East
4. ACC
5. Big 12
6. PAC 12
7. A10
8. SEC
9. The Valley
10. West Coast

Say what you will about the A10 but they could possibly get more teams in the dance than the ACC, PAC-12 and SEC ... other than the BE and B1G the power conferences aren't killing it ...

Its been like that for about 6-7 weeks. Sad

It's been like that for years. The Pac 12 and the SEC usually vie for last place among the BCS conferences, with the MWC or A10 above them. This season it happens to be both. But I highly doubt the MWC is really that strong.

Say what you will about the A10 but they could possibly get more teams in the dance than the ACC, PAC-12 and SEC ... other than the BE and B1G the power conferences aren't killing it ...

They could. They will likely have a number of teams on the bubble over the next few weeks.

Great to see the Mountain West at #2. I'm sure we all agree that they only a shade below the Big 10 and well ahead of the BE and ACC. I'm sure their best- New Mexico and Colorado State would toy with Cuse, Marquette, Georgetown, Louisville, Duke and Miami. They've got depth too- San Diego State, who Cuse somehow beat, is tied for second in the league with a 6-5 record.

Rankings

1. Big 10
2. Mountain West
3. Big East
4. ACC
5. Big 12
6. PAC 12
7. A10
8. SEC
9. The Valley
10. West Coast

I'm embarrassed we are behind the MW.

Sent using my Commodore 64

Am I missing something here? The MW has 4 teams in the top 40 The Big East has 6. A casual look at the rankings sure gives me the impression the MW is over-rated.

I don't think it would be much fun going into the Pit, Viejas, or Thomas and Mack.

They are ranked where they are b/c 7 of their 9 teams are legitimate. I'd be surprised surprised if any make it past the Sweet 16, but that's not how conference rankings work.

Am I missing something here? The MW has 4 teams in the top 40 The Big East has 6. A casual look at the rankings sure gives me the impression the MW is over-rated.
I think their 9 teams vs the BE's 15 has something to do with it, a lot of middle of the road teams in the BE this year but only a few really bad.

Individual team rankings change but typically conference rankings are not going to change too much once the conference starts. Teams with good RPI's beat up on each other.

MwC is a good conference, but they are also evidence of the quirkiness that is the RPI (not top 3). There is enough shifting between 1-3 because it is all so close... MWC is #1 now after yesterday at .5804, Big Ten at .5802, and Big East at .5775. After that it's a sizable gap, so no else has sniffed top 3 since beginning of January.

I think their 9 teams vs the BE's 15 has something to do with it, a lot of middle of the road teams in the BE this year but only a few really bad.

Even when leagues have the same (or nearly the same) number of members, people disagree on what makes one league better. Is it the number of championship contenders? The absolute number of "good" teams? The lack of "bad" teams? Quality in the middle? Average RPI/BPI/KenPom?

And when you have have leagues of varying quantities, it's extremely hard to compare apples to apples.

When comparing the BE and MWC, for example, the way I would think about it to take the BE and run a Monte Carlo simulation which eliminates 6 teams at random each time, and then compare the leagues. After a few hundred or so simulations you'd get a better idea of how the conferences stacked up.

Even when leagues have the same (or nearly the same) number of members, people disagree on what makes one league better. Is it the number of championship contenders? The absolute number of "good" teams? The lack of "bad" teams? Quality in the middle? Average RPI/BPI/KenPom?

The answer of course is whichever criteria makes your league look the best.

MWC doesn't have the strength at the top, but it doesn't have any really terrible teams to bring it down, like a mid major typically does. Its comparable to the ACC in my view.

The relative strength of the middle and bottom third of the conference is what gets it so high -- that and the RPI being somewhat of a flawed measure at times.

KP having them at 4th makes sense.

Great to see the Mountain West at #2. I'm sure we all agree that they only a shade below the Big 10 and well ahead of the BE and ACC. I'm sure their best- New Mexico and Colorado State would toy with Cuse, Marquette, Georgetown, Louisville, Duke and Miami. They've got depth too- San Diego State, who Cuse somehow beat, is tied for second in the league with a 6-5 record.

I've been burned too many times in the tourney by picking MWC teams to do any damage. What's the farthest that one's gotten in the past 5 years? SD St. to the sweet 16?