Wow ... so much for the Duke student section... | Syracusefan.com

Wow ... so much for the Duke student section...

I'm curious what is driving the general trend towards decreasing student attendance at sporting events nationwide. There were studies done maybe ten years ago that showed students that followed the sports teams for the university closely were more likely to donate back to the university throughout their careers...so I wonder if the Gen Y kids currently in school are going to be less likely than previous generations to donate to their alma maters. For a variety of reasons I suspect the answer to that will be yes.

Gen Y is the nerdy interwebs generation. They will not have any money since their will not be any jobs when they get out. cue the Obamanomics anthem

Sort of incredible. Last year, Otto's Army held a Pep Rally before the Northern Iowa game, and I'm pretty sure they surpassed (or at least came extraordinarily close to) 650 students just for the Pep Rally (which was 2 hours before the game).

Sort of incredible. Last year, Otto's Army held a Pep Rally before the Northern Iowa game, and I'm pretty sure they surpassed (or at least came extraordinarily close to) 650 students just for the Pep Rally (which was 2 hours before the game).

We had way more than 650 at that pep rally. Probably 800-1000.

It's all those Plumlee's at the games. Modern Science magazine ran an article that stated seeing any more than two Plumlee's in the same place at the same time can cause brain damage. Duke students are very serious about their academics.

I'm curious what is driving the general trend towards decreasing student attendance at sporting events nationwide. There were studies done maybe ten years ago that showed students that followed the sports teams for the university closely were more likely to donate back to the university throughout their careers...so I wonder if the Gen Y kids currently in school are going to be less likely than previous generations to donate to their alma maters. For a variety of reasons I suspect the answer to that will be yes.

I'll bet that there is a general decline in school spirit that will ultimately be traced to smart phones. People of the college aged generation don't talk to each other anymore. Go to the student center at any college, and you've got packs of kids looking at their phones, rather than talking to one another.

I think one of the key tidbits in that article is the mention of how many marquee OOC games they have moved to MSG. They clearly make more money playing those "Home" games there than they do at Cameron due to the limited seating. SU, on the other hand, who gets criticized for staying home in December, makes far more money by staying put because 18 - 20K at the Dome is still a far better payday than going someplace else. All of these teams have $$$ as the priority. SU has the unique luxury of making it at home.

I'm not saying that Duke doesn't make good money on their home games. They probably do. But you have to believe that they get more for playing in NYC. They are going to love their payday in the home-and-home SU series. :)

Apparently giving students the best seats in the house, as some here are wont to do, still isn't enough.

The "seats" the students have at Cameron suck - its like standing on a balance beam for 2 hours

We had way more than 650 at that pep rally. Probably 800-1000.
But how many kids go to SU? I mean, is 650 - 1000 a good percentage. When/where I went to college we would have doubled that number and it would have been 50 - 90% of the students!

But how many kids go to SU? I mean, is 650 - 1000 a good percentage. When/where I went to college we would have doubled that number and it would have been 50 - 90% of the students!

blackknights numbers are referring to a pep rally against a bad team.

we're talking about a PEP RALLY not a game, not a game, not a game. WE TALKING ABOUT A PEP RALLY. CMON.

Gen Y is the nerdy interwebs generation. They will not have any money since their will not be any jobs when they get out. cue the Obamanomics anthem

You can't spell.

Go back to syracuse.com.

I'll bet that there is a general decline in school spirit that will ultimately be traced to smart phones. People of the college aged generation don't talk to each other anymore. Go to the student center at any college, and you've got packs of kids looking at their phones, rather than talking to one another.
I don't buy that, they are all on the phones "checking in" wherever they are at bragging to their friends where they are

I always find it interesting to check on the number of students a school has when discussing these things. Duke actually has more graduate students than undergrads

6,526 undergrads

8,220 graduate & professional

total 14,746 just around 1200 less than SU's total combined

It would appear our students are on a par attendance wise or better than the bouncing dukie's

That's just for a pep rally. We get probably 2500-3000 for most Big East games. Not a great percentage of the total student population (13000+ undergrads) but when you figure that it's a large-ish private school where most students don't have any connection to the program before they arrive, that's fairly impressive.

120102_cartoon_076_a16215_p465.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom