Wow things have changed! | Syracusefan.com

Wow things have changed!

Halfmooncuse

Hall of Fame
I can remember in 1976 or about SU played Villanova in Rochester (louie and Bouie)in a real barn burner. Rollie Massimino was going wild jumping up on a chair taking off his blazer swinging it around getting called for a technical. Then he gets just about every call the rest of the way. Anyway SU survives.
A bunch of us go to a hotel nearby and in the conference room in Rollie and VU boosters. They were all giving him high fives and laughing. He was holding court although they lost. So we went into the bar. It was dark no one in the joint a a small TV above the bar showing a halftime of a college BB game. In walks JB and sits down. We don't say a word but he turns to us and wants to know what they are showing on TV. We tell them it is some golf outing that some coaches went on. They were big time coaches like Dean of UNC. You could see like he wanted to be there.

Well its nearly 30 years later and when they show JB on the TV golfing or whatever imagine how many coaches wish they could be a member of his club.

I can remember in 1976 or about SU played Villanova in Rochester (louie and Bouie)in a real barn burner. Rollie Massimino was going wild jumping up on a chair taking off his blazer swinging it around getting called for a technical. Then he gets just about every call the rest of the way. Anyway SU survives.
A bunch of us go to a hotel nearby and in the conference room in Rollie and VU boosters. They were all giving him high fives and laughing. He was holding court although they lost. So we went into the bar. It was dark no one in the joint a a small TV above the bar showing a halftime of a college BB game. In walks JB and sits down. We don't say a word but he turns to us and wants to know what they are showing on TV. We tell them it is some golf outing that some coaches went on. They were big time coaches like Dean of UNC. You could see like he wanted to be there.

Well its nearly 30 years later and when they show JB on the TV golfing or whatever imagine how many coaches wish they could be a member of his club.
1976 would have been his first year as head coach... and Louie and Bouie were his first recruits. That was a looooooong time ago.

I think this was 1980, the year before Nova joined the BE. I was at that game too. :)

Having watched Bing and Boeheim romp on the court when a student, I can appreciate all of these posts.
Dang man you got me beat. I "only" date back to Bill Smith and Greg Kohls.

Last edited:
I think this was 1980, the year before Nova joined the BE. I was at that game too. :)

Actually the end of December, 1979 in the Rochester Classic. Beat Cornell in the first game and 'Nova in the aforementioned second game.

I remember the 80-81 game at the Palestra. We got hosed bad by the stripes and Dolph Schayes got up and started for the court from the stands. That whole year was "Wow, this Big East is gonna be REAL fun!"

Last edited: