WR Blocking | Syracusefan.com

WR Blocking

orangefog

Certified Message Board Genius
Is it striking to anyone else how much better Northwestern and USC's wide receivers block? Whether it is holding or not, I don't know, but it sure wasn't called. Would it be out of the question for our cornerbacks to teach our receivers how they have been blocked the past few weeks. It seems like those bubble screens to Ashton could really turn into big plays if he was given a little more room as a result of some good blocking by the TE and WR.

USC runs those screens really well. Spiellman (sp) pointed it out. They would line up one of their tightends in the slot on the side the screen was going to. Then they would motion the other TE to the screen side (aka the tell). It also doesnt hurt that they have two of the most dynamic receivers in the country on the receiving end.

SU should run that exact play for Broyld and/or Kobena.

USC runs those screens really well. Spiellman (sp) pointed it out. They would line up one of their tightends in the slot on the side the screen was going to. Then they would motion the other TE to the screen side (aka the tell). It also doesnt hurt that they have two of the most dynamic receivers in the country on the receiving end.

SU should run that exact play for Broyld and/or Kobena.
That's what I was thinking, I am sure the staff took notice. I also think that the TE's and WR's have to see how much holding is allowed by the officials.

SU has struggled to stop WR screens of any type goign back to the Grob era. Its a difficult play to stop when run perfectly but theres no way that play should be killing us as much as it is. The CB's have to get off blocks and our LB need to show there speed and help out.

Watching the replay, our defenders got owned on those screens.. we have some hybrid type pash russers ie Dyshawn who are very effective when blitzing but cant shed blocks by recievers during a screen play.

Blocking by wide receivers is the most under-rated aspect of the game. I recall Jerry Rice was asked one preseason what his goal was for the year. It wasn't the Super Bowl or 100 catches. He said he wanted to become the best blocking wide receiver in football.

It can be the difference between a 5 yard play and a 50 yard play.

Lemon is pretty good blocker. Too bad he seems to get nicked up a lot.

Lemon is pretty good blocker. Too bad he seems to get nicked up a lot.

Lemon is a great blocker. Unfortunately the other WRs are poor blockers and Sales is horrible.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Blocking by wide receivers is the most under-rated aspect of the game. I recall Jerry Rice was asked one preseason what his goal was for the year. It wasn't the Super Bowl or 100 catches. He said he wanted to become the best blocking wide receiver in football.

It can be the difference between a 5 yard play and a 50 yard play.
It was really apparent the past two weeks. We have some receivers that can work in space, but they rarely get the space. If our tight ends and receivers can lock up a few people down field, our receivers can make some big plays.

Screens worked well for usc as we wanted to keep everything in front of us and tried to not give up the deep ball. Those guys are special and they are going to make plays i thought that we did well considering that we went up against an nfl O on saturday

Screens worked well for usc as we wanted to keep everything in front of us and tried to not give up the deep ball. Those guys are special and they are going to make plays i thought that we did well considering that we went up against an nfl O on saturday
I agree, and my original post was not to criticize our defense as much as it was to urge our cornerbacks to help teach our receivers how to block them better. If they noticed any tricks or techniques that USC and Northwestern uses that maybe they haven't been taught.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom