WR by the numbers | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

WR by the numbers

I never thought Riley was particularly fast either. He was fast-ish like Pena but I don't recall him running away from anyone either. Just became a thing that he was fast because he was small and those around him were less fast.

Erv was silky smooth and shifty. Not sure what his 40 time was but I'd love to have about 8 clones of him in this offense.

Again, if/when, we get an actual burner playing at WR it'll give perspective on where the rest are. The fastest of a slow bunch doesn't inherently make one a "burner" as such. Watching other teams with guys like that makes it apparent what we lack, and have lacked since Amba really. Ish was a different kind of beast entirely and OG is in that mold. Hope to see plenty of Adams and Brown this weekend
Agree. We have a good mid-level guy (Gadsden), but no reliable short pass receiver (TE) and no consistent vertical threat. Purdue had all three, and so will the teams we're about to play. Wait 'til you see ND's TE (Mayer) - a weapon that would immediately elevate our offense. The good news is that Gadsden is emerging, and Jackson and Alford are serviceable. Maybe we'll see Pena step up - fast and good in traffic. He's not a replacement for a TE but he will help us if he stops playing suicide ball.

Last edited:
Agree. We have a good mid-level guy (Gadsden), but no reliable short pass receiver (TE) and no consistent vertical threat. Purdue had all three, and so will the teams we're about to play. Wait 'til you see ND's TE (Mayer) - a weapon that would immediately elevate our offense. The good news is that Gadsden is emerging, and Jackson and Alford are serviceable. Maybe we'll see Pena step up - fast and good in traffic. He's not a replacement for a TE but he will help us if he stops playing suicide ball.

I don't think TE has to be the short pass guy nor do I think we'll get one of the ND or Purdue types in that role. They rarely exist in the Northeast and those that do go to Notre Dame, State Penn or BC.

That said, Erv was a short pass guy as were Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey at WVU. We don't need prototypical NFL types in that role. Coop is there with hands currently albiet not a burner. We've recently had "big play" guys there with stone hands instead which caused much more harm than good.

I don't think TE has to be the short pass guy nor do I think we'll get one of the ND or Purdue types in that role. They rarely exist in the Northeast and those that do go to Notre Dame, State Penn or BC.

That said, Erv was a short pass guy as were Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey at WVU. We don't need prototypical NFL types in that role. Coop is there with hands currently albiet not a burner. We've recently had "big play" guys there with stone hands instead which caused much more harm than good.
Agree with the part about TE recruiting challenges. Also agree that we're stuck putting a smaller guy in the role of short-route pass catcher. Yes we've done this before and we'll have to get by with the personnel we have. However, we should absolutely keep trying to land a catching TE. We face them almost every week and they're killing us. Along with WR and DL, it's one of the key recruiting holes we need to fill ... would instantly elevate our offense and give GS a check down guy that would save his body and help us convert 3'd downs.

Last edited:
Agree with the part about TE recruiting challenges. Also agree that we're stuck with putting a smaller guy in the role of short pass catchers ... and it can be done. Disagree that we shouldn't keep trying to land a catching TE - we see them almost every week and they're killing us. Along with WR and DL it's one of the key recruiting holes we need to fill ... would instantly elevate our offense and give GS a check down guy that would save his body and help us convert 3'd downs.

Yeah, but - prior to this season, we literally hadn't thrown to a TE in years.

Hard to recruit to a position when you have no history of using said position in a way that's appealing to a player with the skillset you'd like.

That's why that one dude portalled out early last season - basically felt like he was lied to by the staff, that he'd be a pass-catching TE, and we didn't ever throw to them.

Yeah, but - prior to this season, we literally hadn't thrown to a TE in years.

Hard to recruit to a position when you have no history of using said position in a way that's appealing to a player with the skillset you'd like.

That's why that one dude portalled out early last season - basically felt like he was lied to by the staff, that he'd be a pass-catching TE, and we didn't ever throw to them.
Agree. You and I are almost always on the same page. And as usual you're quite right (about Benson). We've underutilized the TE position for years ... and have paid the price IMO - both in recruiting and offensive production. At this point, however, we have a new staff and scheme. Anae has utilized the TE before. We're having a good year so far, etc. Watching opposing TE's burn us week after week is slow torture. For god sake let's bring one in by any (legal) means.

Last edited:
Agree with the part about TE recruiting challenges. Also agree that we're stuck with putting a smaller guy in the role of short-route pass catcher. Yes we've done this before and we'll have to get by with the personnel we have. However, we should absolutely keep trying to land a catching TE. We face them almost every week and they're killing us. Along with WR and DL it's one of the key recruiting holes we need to fill ... would instantly elevate our offense and give GS a check down guy that would save his body and help us convert 3'd downs.

Benson would be an absolute stud in this offense. Think, at this point, we'll need to portal in TE, WR and DL to fill gaps until recruits are are sold. Get some G5, Ivy, D2 studs in that want to play ACC ball. We need bowl games to sell first

Benson would be an absolute stud in this offense. Think, at this point, we'll need to portal in TE, WR and DL to fill gaps until recruits are are sold. Get some G5, Ivy, D2 studs in that want to play ACC ball. We need bowl games to sell first
Out of curiousity, I checked to see how Luke is doing. He had a rough first game against Clemson (I believe he missed some blocks, made a penalty or two and dropped a ball) but continued to get PT in games 2 and 3.

Had 5 catches for 47 yards in those games.

Had his first 0 catches, 0 yards day against UCF Saturday.

Georgia Tech is averaging 184;9 ypg passing. Has 2 passing TDs so far. He is tied for seventh in receptions on the team with old friend Dylan McDuffie. Another old friend, Hassan Hall, is just ahead of him.

Hopefully things pick up for him from this point forward.

Out of curiousity, I checked to see how Luke is doing. He had a rough first game against Clemson (I believe he missed some blocks, made a penalty or two and dropped a ball) but continued to get PT in games 2 and 3.

Had 5 catches for 47 yards in those games.

Had his first 0 catches, 0 yards day against UCF Saturday.

Georgia Tech is averaging 184;9 ypg passing. Has 2 passing TDs so far. He is tied for seventh in receptions on the team with old friend Dylan McDuffie. Another old friend, Hassan Hall, is just ahead of him.

Hopefully things pick up for him from this point forward.

Feel like that is a purely education based move. Not certain his major but GaTech is a great School.

Landon Morris currently shows 0 catches for 0 yards fwiw