wr next year | Syracusefan.com

wr next year

kcsu

Living Legend
This will be the biggest WR group that Syracuse has fielded in a very long time. West, Foster, Hale, Flemming, and Alec and the incoming frosh Corn are all 6'2 or taller. In addition most of these guys are pretty physical pushing close to 200 pounds. Add in Sales and Kobena and this is a pretty decent group on paper. Considering that Sales is our best receiver this unit should show the most improvement of any O unit next year.

This will be the biggest WR group that Syracuse has fielded in a very long time. West, Foster, Hale, Flemming, and Alec and the incoming frosh Corn are all 6'2 or taller. In addition most of these guys are pretty physical pushing close to 200 pounds. Add in Sales and Kobena and this is a pretty decent group on paper. Considering that Sales is our best receiver this unit should show the most improvement of any O unit next year.
Good post, but I hope that the OL is the most improved unit on the team. Otherwise, we could be in for a long season.

I wish I shared your enthusiasm. There is paper and then there is field turf.Until we see it on field turf , I can't keep operating on hope like I have for the last several years. Rice Moss, Lavar Lobdell, Bruce Williams- all were going to be Marvin Harrison in my daydreams-none were.

I wish I shared your enthusiasm. There is paper and then there is field turf.Until we see it on field turf , I can't keep operating on hope like I have for the last several years. Rice Moss, Lavar Lobdell, Bruce Williams- all were going to be Marvin Harrison in my daydreams-none were.
I agree but in my opinion the difference this year is Sales. He is truly a number 1 reciever. Sales demands attention and taking the others team best CB away from Alec just makes Alec and our third WR which im guessing is going to be Hale all that much better. Sales is the key.

Alec is TBD. Didn't he undergo the knife? Hopefully he has a full recovery but he is out for the spring. I agree if Alec comes back 100% for the Fall with Sales...it should be our best WR group since the late 90's.

Alec is TBD. Didn't he undergo the knife? Hopefully he has a full recovery but he is out for the spring. I agree if Alec comes back 100% for the Fall with Sales...it should be our best WR group since the late 90's.

Also assumes that Marcus works hard in the off-season and makes it happen in practice.

Also assumes that Marcus works hard in the off-season and makes it happen in practice.
Marcus will be fine im sure he realizes that if he has a great year he has a chance to make the league if not he can play wing man for his brother the rest of his life.

I agree but in my opinion the difference this year is Sales. He is truly a number 1 reciever. Sales demands attention and taking the others team best CB away from Alec just makes Alec and our third WR which im guessing is going to be Hale all that much better. Sales is the key.

How fast is Marcus? I am not in the camp of him being a #1 receiver because he had one HUGE game against a terrible D. A good receiver?-yes. A gamebreaker?-I think we need a lot more evidence there.

i'd say alec is 75% for next season. surgery/rehab is going well so far.

How fast is Marcus? I am not in the camp of him being a #1 receiver because he had one HUGE game against a terrible D. A good receiver?-yes. A gamebreaker?-I think we need a lot more evidence there.

Marcusis not fast nor is he strong, he has the ability to get open and make catches, great hands. Nassib ALWAYS seems to find Sales when he is in the game, his plays versus passes thrown to has to be extremely high, I would go as far to say that Sales is Nassibs' favorite receiver and his #1 target when he is in the game. Sales wille excite very few people with measurements, strength or speed, he is the anti Dorian Graham. That being said, Sales chances of ever making an NFL roster are very slim

Marcusis not fast nor is he strong, he has the ability to get open and make catches, great hands. Nassib ALWAYS seems to find Sales when he is in the game, his plays versus passes thrown to has to be extremely high, I would go as far to say that Sales is Nassibs' favorite receiver and his #1 target when he is in the game. Sales wille excite very few people with measurements, strength or speed, he is the anti Dorian Graham. That being said, Sales chances of ever making an NFL roster are very slim
Marcus is a natural. He has game speed, gets off the line, runs very good routes, has great hands, and just makes plays. He is our best reciever.

Marcus is a natural. He has game speed, gets off the line, runs very good routes, has great hands, and just makes plays. He is our best reciever.

I agree 100%, great feel for the position. If it was all speed and athleticism Graham would be an NFL first rounder.

I look at Sales as a bonus. I don't expect him to come back strong because he's allegedly not a worker by nature. Anything he adds to the team is gravy.

I'll believe it when I see it...

Last spring, we touted our group as the "deepest receiving corps" in modern memory. And they couldn't catch a cold.

Last spring, we touted our group as the "deepest receiving corps" in modern memory. And they couldn't catch a cold.
Then how did we achieve the offensive stats we did? Regardless of whether you think they should have been better.

Sales is a tremendous route runner, and is great at getting off the line. That's why, when he played, he got open. That's also why he appeared to be Nassib's favorite target. Unlike most of the other receivers, when Nassib throws the ball where it's supposed to go, Sales is there. A lot of people complain about Nassib overthrowing the ball, myself included. I think it's the fault of the receivers being two steps behind where they should be, though.

I actually believe the key will be the O-line keeping the defense off of Nassib.

My point is that I get tired of the springtime optimism.

In the spring, we hear about our experienced offensive line.
In the fall we talk about Michael Hay jumping offsides every other play and Macky not being able to handle a pass rush.

In the spring, we hear about the experienced receiving corps. In the fall, we talk about their inability to create separation and the lack of a deep threat.

In the spring, we hear about Nassib finally having an understanding of the offense. In the fall, we talk about his inability to find open receivers and throwing an uncatchable ball.

In the spring, we talk about a "multiple" offensive package. In the fall, we talk about not converting on 3rd and long and "multiple" 3-n-outs.

Springtime optimism gets old when we don't see it on the field...

Who said that? I know those watching practice thought the unit would be improved, if it could stay healthy, but we had some great WR units in the 1990s that had much more depth that what we had to work with last season.

Here is how things looked last spring:

Sales had a good spring and won a spot in the regular rotation for the first time. Practiced with the starters for the first time. Looked like he had a big breakthrough. Autious optimism.

The staff bent over backwards to give Graham playing time, even had Alec Lemon playing with the 2nd unit for while. Graham showed fine blocking ability, speed and strength but wasn't able to prove himself as a deep threat. Struggled at times even with routine catches, just as he would in the fall.

Lemon was our best WR, very solid, just as he was in the fall. Thought he could be an all conference WR, which is what happened.

Chew did a good job but struggled against press coverage, just as he would in the fall.

Kobena showed good speed but struggled to make catches, run the right patterns and just get open in general. The rest of the WRs barely got any reps. I think West was recovering from a broken foot and ran some routes but was barred from contact...

So we had 2 solid WRs, one who always breaks down during the season and then worries. When Sales went down in August, we were down to 1 solid WR and Chew for as long as he could go. That turned out to be 3 or 4 games.

I for one remain concerned about the WR position going into the spring than I was last season. For many reasons.

Lemon may or may not be ready for 2012.

Sales has been so unreliable it is very hard to count on him to even stick on the roster through preseason camp.

Graham and Chew are gone.

I liked what I saw from Foster last fall. Big, tough, gets open, looks like he has good hands and can make catches over the middle. It is a shame he got hurt just as he was starting to get some PT at WR. I see him as the successor to Lemon when Alec is gone, but he has a long way to go to reach that level of play.

Thought West showed a lot of potential as a possession receiver too. He actually received some PT last season and should be in much better position to contribute in 2012.

I know the staff likes Kobena. I barely saw Hale at all last year but I loved his HS film. Have hopes for him. I keep liking Fleming, who appears to be Sales II, a kid who practices well but cannot find his way on the field.

One of the true frosh might crack the rotation at same point in the season. There is certainly the opportunity to do it the way things look today.

My point is that I get tired of the springtime optimism.

In the spring, we hear about our experienced offensive line.
In the fall we talk about Michael Hay jumping offsides every other play and Macky not being able to handle a pass rush.

In the spring, we hear about the experienced receiving corps. In the fall, we talk about their inability to create separation and the lack of a deep threat.

In the spring, we hear about Nassib finally having an understanding of the offense. In the fall, we talk about his inability to find open receivers and throwing an uncatchable ball.

In the spring, we talk about a "multiple" offensive package. In the fall, we talk about not converting on 3rd and long and "multiple" 3-n-outs.

Springtime optimism gets old when we don't see it on the field...

Certainly see your point, but it goes with being a fan, it happens every year. Sales if he can stay out of trouble which I for once believe he will, will be ready to play..

I hope you're right.

I wish we had more speed at that position.

But, with Marcus back, it would appear to be an area that will be improved next fall.

I'd just like to remind people talking about "game breaker speed" that the greatest receiver of all time ran a 4.7 at the combine.

I agree that 40 times aren't the end all when assessing deep threat WRs. Our best deep threat WR in recent years was Mike Williams, and he wasn't a great burner (though not slow either). Some players have the uncanny ability to pull away from a defender consistently on deep routes. Graham for instance would kill Sales in a foot race but Sales has been better getting open deep.

I haven't seen any of the young WRs show a consistent ability to get open deep. Kobena did it a few times, Lemon and West can get open deep on occasion as well. To be fair, I have barely seen Foster, Hale or Fleming run deep routes, and haven't seen Lewis or Cornelius play against D1 corners at all. Let's hope one or two of those guys have that something special to get open deep consistently.

But can they fcuking catch the ball?!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom