Wrinkle our offense needs | Syracusefan.com

Wrinkle our offense needs

CuseFaninVT

2023-24 Iggy Winner Leading Rebounder
Just finished watching the gtown game. Our defense was bad all around. Enough has been said about that already.

Ewing made the adjustment at half to make sure his best and most athletic player was on Hughes. Very effective in preventing Eli from scoring and wore him out as well.

What I would have loved to see was whoever had McClung or the other short guard on him going to set a pick for Eli. Try to force the switch so Eli can go to work over the shorter guy. Happened a few times organically in the first half.

Last edited:
Just finished watching the gtown game. Our defense was bad all around. Enough has been said about that already.

Ewing made the adjustment at half to make sure his best and most athletic player was on Hughes. Very effective in preventing Eli from scoring and wore him out well.

What I would have loved to see was whoever had McClung or the other short guard on him going to set a pick for Eli. Try to force the switch so Eli can go to work over the shorter guy. Happened a few times organically in the first half.
That’s too advanced for some of our coaches nowadays

That’s too advanced for some of our coaches nowadays
Yeah our hall of fame coach doesn’t know how to implement an offense or run set plays makes sense

Yeah our hall of fame coach doesn’t know how to implement an offense or run set plays makes sense

Does he get involved with the offense at all?

I was under the impression that JB coaches the defense and the other coaches do the offense.
What makes you think that? I’ve genuinely never heard that

Ewing made the adjustment at half to make sure his best and most athletic player was on Hughes. Very effective in preventing Eli from scoring and wore him out as well.

The offense’s lack of designed plays and screening actions and the command to RUN THEM EVERY TIME is our biggest problem and JB just seems incapable of making it happen. We have to get guys better looks. He’s obsessed with a keep-it-simple-stupid offense because he doesn’t trust the players to learn complex sets, but it’s the only way we’re going to win this year.

Last edited:
Read the word some.
The offense’s lack of designed plays and screening actions and the command to RUN THEM EVERY TIME is our biggest problem and JB just seems incapable of making it happen. He’s obsessed with a keep-it-simple-stupid offense because he doesn’t trust the players to learn complex sets, but it’s the only way we’re going to win this year.
yes, not that he can’t. He won’t.

The offense’s lack of designed plays and screening actions and the command to RUN THEM EVERY TIME is our biggest problem and JB just seems incapable of making it happen. We have to get guys better looks. He’s obsessed with a keep-it-simple-stupid offense because he doesn’t trust the players to learn complex sets, but it’s the only way we’re going to win this year.

He's on the same page as Dino, actually. K-I-S-S. If you provide frameworks and reads to players, they can play more instinctively. When you have the athletes and the fitness levels, it can be a very effective system.
With less than elite athletes, execution becomes a lot harder, and there's not enough sophistication in the system to overcome talent shortfalls.

Read the word some.

yes, not that he can’t. He won’t.
In the same reply you’re saying it’s not Jimmy B and then saying it is

i dont think there are 5 people on this board who really understand what the coaches are trying to get these players to do on offense and yet so many complain about lack of what we do.

I know there are some coaches/players on the fball side in the discussion but I dont recall anyone on the b-board side at least admitting they are coaching at some level?

The offense to this point has been better than the last 2 years. Our problems are defense and rebounding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom