WTE T25: ESPN Edition | Syracusefan.com

WTE T25: ESPN Edition

#16 in this one but the writer also says "if Battle returns for his sophomore season" so...

Way-too-early top 25 for the 2018-19 college basketball season

Sophomore season huh? That just goes to show half these writers, especially the ones who vote in the polls, don’t follow the games that closely at all. Remember the writer a few years ago when we started 25-0 that had us ranked 9 I think because he didn’t like our non conference schedule? I think that was his excuse. Ridiculous sometimes.

If Battle returns we are a preseason top 25 team.
It just doesn’t appear likely.
With Battle we have enough scoring depth and make Hughes an exclusive SF.
Also it would lower the minutes for Battle and Howard with Carey as a backup.
If Battle comes back Howard loses a lot of minutes next year.

Duke being 2nd is laughable. Just say your going to rank schools by recruiting rankings if you're going to do this.
Exactly. I think it goes without saying that rankings this early are completely ridiculous, but how can you rank a team of freshmen, albeit highly ranked freshmen, that high without knowing how they will handle this level of play or how they well they will play together.

As for Cuse, am I crazy to think that losing Bazely isn't going to hurt this team too much after having some time to think about it? We have forwards that are experienced. I believe Brissett will be back. Losing Jalen Carey to me would have hurt us more because we haven't had a true point guard since Ennis left early. Carey adds something to this team that we lacked last season. Bazely, at least from what I have read about him, was a better defender than scorer and we were already good defensively.I don't think Bazely, although he is talented was adding more to this team than we already had in the way that Buddy and Carey will. I think we will spend a lot of time in the rankings next season.

Exactly. I think it goes without saying that rankings this early are completely ridiculous, but how can you rank a team of freshmen, albeit highly ranked freshmen, that high without knowing how they will handle this level of play or how they well they will play together.

As for Cuse, am I crazy to think that losing Bazely isn't going to hurt this team too much after having some time to think about it? We have forwards that are experienced. I believe Brissett will be back. Losing Jalen Carey to me would have hurt us more because we haven't had a true point guard since Ennis left early. Carey adds something to this team that we lacked last season. Bazely, at least from what I have read about him, was a better defender than scorer and we were already good defensively.I don't think Bazely, although he is talented was adding more to this team than we already had in the way that Buddy and Carey will. I think we will spend a lot of time in the rankings next season.
Carey is just slightly more of a true PG then Frank

Duke being 2nd is laughable. Just say your going to rank schools by recruiting rankings if you're going to do this.
Is it? The recent track record suggests otherwise. They won a NC recently with a freshman heavy team and were one shot away from the final four this year. K isn't Paypal Cal, he knows how to coach. He has 4 top ten prospects coming in and 2 4 7 has the number 12 guy going there now. It doesn't seem to ridiculous to have high expectations for them.

From what a lot have said, including JB in his recent interview, he was more skilled than anyone on the roster and a great facilitator. It definitely hurts to lose him.

Is it? The recent track record suggests otherwise. They won a NC recently with a freshman heavy team and were one shot away from the final four this year. K isn't Paypal Cal, he knows how to coach. He has 4 top ten prospects coming in and 2 4 7 has the number 12 guy going there now. It doesn't seem to ridiculous to have high expectations for them.

4 out of the 5 teams they've had loaded with freshman haven't even won the ACC. That team was 3 years ago and none of these guys are as talented as that group. UNC has Maye/Williams returning with additional talent coming in.

Duke was "WTE #7" last year and made the Elite 8.

Also getting invested in the "WTE" rankings is funny. Means absolutely nothing lol

Yeah obviously we’d rather have Bazley, but the difference between a Bazley/Marek forward rotation and a Marek/Hughes rotation is probably like 1-2 wins. It isn’t the difference between an ACC title and a bubble team like some people are presenting it here.

4 out of the 5 teams they've had loaded with freshman haven't even won the ACC. That team was 3 years ago and none of these guys are as talented as that group. UNC has Maye/Williams returning with additional talent coming in.
That's fine. Polls this early never make complete sense. It just isn't unreasonable to have high expectations for them. Many on here were expecting top 10 for us before Bazley bolted. That seemed less reasonable to me than Duke being #2.

So basically unranked everywhere once they factor in Tyus' departure. Probably right.

The Athletic had us in the 30's.

Brent Axe said yesterday on Rochester radio, he expects SU to be top 25 next year. Not sure if he meant preseason or as the season goes on.