WVU to vote "Yes" on exit fee increase | Syracusefan.com

WVU to vote "Yes" on exit fee increase

Upstate

Co 2020 Cali Winner, Rcd/Rcpts/TD Rcpts (5)/TFL
According to Charleston Gazette

...that is so sad...WVU, asided from academics, would be a wonderful competitor in the ACC...I hope this is not an indication that they truly want or expect to stay in the ACC

...that is so sad...WVU, asided from academics, would be a wonderful competitor in the ACC...I hope this is not an indication that they truly want or expect to stay in the ACC

They can be a wonderful competitor from ConferenceUSA II as well.

if true it probably just means that they don't see a better solution for the immediate future, and realize that someone has to commit and get the ball rolling. if the acc or sec comes calling later, i don't think the 10 mil will be stopping them from jumping.

SMART. WVU should be at and around BCS every year in new BE . Texas games help Luck and HC Dana with their long time TX ties.

It's what, an extra $5 million?

If WVU got a Big 12 invite they could easily pay that.

If WVU miraculously got an SEC invite they could pay it out of spite in pennies with the money they'd get within 5 minutes of jacking ticket prices up 50%.

I don't imagine it's in any members best interest to blow up the conference... until they have a confirmed landing spot.

----------------------

link

"WVU sources confirmed to the Gazette Monday afternoon that, barring any unforeseen developments during the call, the school will cast its vote to double the fee. That would be a clear signal that WVU is committed to rebuilding the conference."

"There has been speculation that at least one school, Louisville, would not participate in the call. The Cardinals are believed to be a candidate for inclusion should the Big 12 expand to 12 members or need to replace Missouri in order to remain at 10. West Virginia has also been mentioned in those discussions, but is nonetheless expected to participate in the call and vote for the proposal to double the exit fee."

----------------------

link

"WVU sources confirmed to the Gazette Monday afternoon that, barring any unforeseen developments during the call, the school will cast its vote to double the fee. That would be a clear signal that WVU is committed to rebuilding the conference."

"There has been speculation that at least one school, Louisville, would not participate in the call. The Cardinals are believed to be a candidate for inclusion should the Big 12 expand to 12 members or need to replace Missouri in order to remain at 10. West Virginia has also been mentioned in those discussions, but is nonetheless expected to participate in the call and vote for the proposal to double the exit fee."

Such as press conferences being scheduled in Missouri.

I expect a follow up article after the vote to describe how West Virginia's phone connection went dead during the vote. Can you hear me now? How about now.

I think it makes sense for WVU. Here's why...

In 2 seasons the Big East won't have enough football members to be a BCS conference, let alone an AQ one. They are desperate to expand. The most valuable targets are in CUSA and the Mountain West, conferences that just "merged" their football divisions, clearly in the hope of getting AQ status. The Big East has to convince these schools that they're worth joining, and one way of doing that is to give them some semblance of an assurance that the existing members won't leave (possible the first-ever case of a group of have nots having more leverage than a group of haves). Short of using some kind of Harry Potter-like binding spell, money works best.

WVU knows hopes that by committing to this new exit fee Boise State, Air Force, Navy, et. al. will join, keep the BEFC alive, and give it a shot at retaining it's AQ status. Also, the BE still has a little media contract renewal coming up in less than a year. Having any shot of getting value for that will include having an actual functioning football conference.

So anyway, I think $10M is digestable for WVU, Lousville, Cincy, Rutger & UConn. Like I said previously, if one of them gets into the SEC/Big 12/ACC/Big Ten it's a small price to pay for not committing conference suicide today.

Does the increase take effect immediately? Or beginning next year?
If the latter, the schools with other conference hopes could be banking on the smoke clearing before it's implemented. If they get an invite elsewhere, they're out under the current conditions. If not, then it's time to resign themselves to the BE and this "show of unity" would be handy if any of the group invited to join the BE is dumb enough to think it means anything.

I also read today that the vote does not need to be unanimous. WVU (and others) may know that there are enough votes to pass it anyway, so they don't want to stand out by making a fruitless vote against. Are the hoops schools also involved?

Makes sense. If you can't go anywhere...then try and lock everyone else in around and make it harder for them to leave.

But in reality $10 mill is chump change for a major college

Seems also like a clear indication that Louisville is choice #1 for the Big 12, should it need to add a team. At least it appears Louisville thinks that its choice #1.

Marinatto press conference is scheduled for 1:30 tomorrow. I wonder how long it will take the voting results to leak tonght.

In an ideal world WV would be coming with us. Now it seems like their academics will keep them out of the SEC, which is crazy. It seems like the conferences are pretending this is as much about academics and even the SEC wants good schools now.

In an ideal world WV would be coming with us. Now it seems like their academics will keep them out of the SEC, which is crazy. It seems like the conferences are pretending this is as much about academics and even the SEC wants good schools now.

No it's not. In an ideal world, ACC and Big Ten expansion is over.

No it's not. In an ideal world, ACC and Big Ten expansion is over.

Why? We are in a Southern conference. How is that good for SU? WV would not hurt SU either. IMO it would be nice to see...

ACC North- ND, Miami, VT, WV, Pitt, SU, BC, Wake
ACC South- FSU, Clemson, GA Tech, UNC, UVA, MD, NC St, Duke

Play division teams once, one cross over rival (would be UVA for SU), then rotate 2 games vs the rest of the other division (final tally 10 games). That means home and away games every 7 years vs the South teams.

I like the idea of a North/South split, but not the 10 games deal. I also don't think a North/South split will happen if the ACC ever gets to 16, and certainly not if we stay at 14., though I hope it will.

I like the idea of a North/South split, but not the 10 games deal. I also don't think a North/South split will happen if the ACC ever gets to 16, and certainly not if we stay at 14., though I hope it will.

The old ACC teams want a North-South split. That way they can play their old ACC teams every year. If you notice the North would be 7 former BE teams. Since you need an 8th team in the North, you send the team that has little power to object and won't be missed by any of the South schools (Wake). It also makes the divisions as fair as can be competitively.

We dont pay the $10 mil right? all we have to do it pay $5 and make like a fish and get the hell out!

Why? We are in a Southern conference. How is that good for SU? WV would not hurt SU either. IMO it would be nice to see...

ACC North- ND, Miami, VT, WV, Pitt, SU, BC, Wake
ACC South- FSU, Clemson, GA Tech, UNC, UVA, MD, NC St, Duke

Play division teams once, one cross over rival (would be UVA for SU), then rotate 2 games vs the rest of the other division (final tally 10 games). That means home and away games every 7 years vs the South teams.

Having all of the teams that we recruit against go into the fire is going to help recruiting. Do you want to go to WVU or UConn or Rutgers and play in a glorified mid-major conference that's going to be without a BCS bid in two years, or come to Syracuse and play in a stable conference, playing for a conference title against elite programs like Miami, FSU, VT, Clemson, etc.

Having all of the teams that we recruit against go into the fire is going to help recruiting. Do you want to go to WVU or UConn or Rutgers and play in a glorified mid-major conference that's going to be without a BCS bid in two years, or come to Syracuse and play in a stable conference, playing for a conference title against elite programs like Miami, FSU, VT, Clemson, etc.

You have a point with UConn and RU. However WV's recruiting base is not the same as ours. They will have little impact by coming along. They are the best rivalry we have in FB, which isn't saying much. There is a lot of history there. Why give that up if there is no gain from doing so?