Xmas confirms he will play the 4 | Syracusefan.com

Xmas confirms he will play the 4

armory

All American
In case anyone missed it from the Saturday article:

Christmas said he’d gained 15 pounds of muscle (to 245) over the summer.

“During the summertime I was working with Hop and Red (SU assistant Adrian Autry). They were really getting me ready for the ‘4’ stuff,” Christmas said during Friday’s media day.

“I’ll be on the wing again on defense. And Hop’s been getting me ready just doing the same things I was doing last year.”

In case anyone missed it from the Saturday article:

Christmas said he’d gained 15 pounds of muscle (to 245) over the summer.

“During the summertime I was working with Hop and Red (SU assistant Adrian Autry). They were really getting me ready for the ‘4’ stuff,” Christmas said during Friday’s media day.

“I’ll be on the wing again on defense. And Hop’s been getting me ready just doing the same things I was doing last year.”
Ummm...I don't think he meant he was working with Hop and Red, he must have meant some of the players, right?

I think the bigger question will be, when we make our first substitution and bring Southerland off the bench, does Rak slide to the 5(DC2 coming out) or does Rak just come to the bench? I suspect we’ll use Rak’s shotblocking/rebounding at the 5 more than we think. This of course would largely phase Baye out of the rotation.

I think the bigger question will be, when we make our first substitution and bring Southerland off the bench, does Rak slide to the 5(DC2 coming out) or does Rak just come to the bench? I suspect we’ll use Rak’s shotblocking/rebounding at the 5 more than we think. This of course would largely phase Baye out of the rotation.
It seems that they are preparing for a very versatile lineup. Surely, either of the scenarios you speak of will happen. But, they also seem to be preparing for those occassions where Baye will be in with either of Coleman or Christmas or both. I can see times when a huge back line will come in handy, particularly if the forwards can both cover their respective corners.

I thought X played much better at the 5 last season. I do not see his issue as body development as much as skill development if he is to play the four - or will we just see more cameos ???

Presumably, he can give us good D & boardwork at the 4 spot. He has still got to prove he can also contribute on O from that position. His minutes might depend a lot upon DC. If DC is a legit O threat that means we can have the luxury of a non-scoring PF. If DC is not a legit O threat then we could not have two non-scoring positions on the floor together.

Ummm...I don't think he meant he was working with Hop and Red, he must have meant some of the players, right?
I think they can receive individual instruction in the summer.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

It depends on what we need, and who makes the first mistake or commits the first foul - Christmas or Fair.

I'm sure we'll see instances of a lineup including CJ/J-So at the 3/4 where Rak can be moved to the 5, and I generally agree that its a shame to lose most of Rak's shotblock potential moving him to the 4 ... but the simple fact is that BMK & DC2 are just not suited to play the wing in the zone, while Rak is.

I think we'll see all kinds of crazy lineups in the exhibition games. Pretty sure Keita will be the only player who won't get a look on the wing. I think if Coleman and Keita are on the court at the same time, Coleman slides to the 4. Which will be interesting to watch.

As suggested above, Jsouth will likely slide to the 4 off the bench and pushing whoever doesn't come off the court to the five.

I think we'll see all kinds of crazy lineups in the exhibition games. Pretty sure Keita will be the only player who won't get a look on the wing. I think if Coleman and Keita are on the court at the same time, Coleman slides to the 4. Which will be interesting to watch.

As suggested above, Jsouth will likely slide to the 4 off the bench and pushing whoever doesn't come off the court to the five.
does Rak and DCII have the green light to shoot 15 footers?

I'm sure we'll see instances of a lineup including CJ/J-So at the 3/4 where Rak can be moved to the 5, and I generally agree that its a shame to lose most of Rak's shotblock potential moving him to the 4 ... but the simple fact is that BMK & DC2 are just not suited to play the wing in the zone, while Rak is.
JB has already indicated that both of them will be ready to play either 4 or 5.

Rak has a little crazy in his eyes...he looks like a complete monster, hopefully he plays like he's a little crazy this year

Hop was in London. Couldnt have worked with him. He may have had a regimen that the coaches gave him to follow, but how can you work with a guy who was gone for a month and ran an academy 6 weeks before that. ;)

I have a feeling. I've had these feelings before, over the past 40 years. This feeling usually means we're in for something special, with regard to an incoming player. Seriously, it's a real feeling.

Are far as suitability is concerned: What if it's simply a matter of the coaching staff not feeling good with DC anywhere, but guarding the middle of the zone?

Sure, I'm a proponent of versatility, just like the next armchair. It would be great to see him step back & hit 10 ft bank shots like no other. However, we need someone his size living on post moves @ the freaking rack for crying out loud. No BSing around. The guy has old school written all over him. He needs to be utilized in that fashion.

Rule change this year, coaches may work with players for up to two hours a day up to eight hours per week including freshman.

Rak has Proven to be a really good rebounder at the 5. He can get away from the hoop and grab them. Agree with Raks shotblocking at the 5, but I think Keita is a pleasent suprise there as well.

Who is going to go get rebounds at the four where we need it??? And will DC2 be able to rebound 10 feet out instead of right by the rim like Rak?

DC2 on the offensive end is a absolute beast I wouldn't be surprised to see him put up 14+ points per game this year barring Fair doesn't bring all the midpost game instead. I absolutely Love the idea of Fair and DC in the mid/high post giving MCW at 6'5 and Triche's experience a open lane to drive. Maybe add Southerland to that list. I was impressed by DC's lateral quickness in short bursts.

Baye can get up and down the floor crazy fast - why is the common wisdom that he can't get out on the wing?

Agree. Baye was one of our best defenders as a freshmen his scrappyness helped us win alot of games.