XMAS | Syracusefan.com

XMAS

AlaskaSU

Build a dorm, burn the locker rm. upgrade the dome
Why does everyone assume that XMAS will now have the footwork to create his own shot? No telling how long it takes bigs to get to that point and some, like Roberts, who was highly touted, never do. Otis Hill took 3 years. He even quit the team in frustration. Maybe XMAS will surprise this year, maybe not. Why is everyone so certain that he will make the big jump this year? Any summer league observations or just wishful thinking?

Not sure where that comes from, other than wishful thinking. Not to mention the fact that he'll be lucky to get the ball in scoring position more than 3 times per game. He's going to have to be a garbage man to get points this year.

I don't believe that is a prevalent thought here. I for one am merely hopeful that he's a factor on the glass, can catch and finish when set up for it, can score on some putbacks and be an asset defensively (both in the middle and on the wing). Of course it depends on how things work out with other players but 6-8 PPG/RPG from him would sound pretty good right now.

I don't believe that is a prevalent thought here. I for one am merely hopeful that he's a factor on the glass, can catch and finish when set up for it, can score on some putbacks and be an asset defensively (both in the middle and on the wing). Of course it depends on how things work out with other players but 6-8 PPG/RPG from him would sound pretty good right now.

Those expectations for Rak seem reasonable and attainable. His sophomore improvement will come primarily as a defender, rebounder and shot blocker. JB is not going to ask a lot from him offensively this season. Unless he is on the floor with Keita, Rak will be the fifth scoring option on this team.

Sal "The Barber" Maglie? In a Dodger uniform? Any story behind your choice?

I've made that claim. And since he had the footwork to create his own shot last season, I don't think it's a stretch to assume he'll still have that footwork.

Not sure why people don't recognize this - just watch the game tape. I swear, it's as if people forget everything they saw and just think "Boeheim gave Christmas an immediate hook in most of the first 33 games, that must mean he stinks in every facet of the game."

Why does everyone assume that XMAS will now have the footwork to create his own shot? No telling how long it takes bigs to get to that point and some, like Roberts, who was highly touted, never do. Otis Hill took 3 years. He even quit the team in frustration. Maybe XMAS will surprise this year, maybe not. Why is everyone so certain that he will make the big jump this year? Any summer league observations or just wishful thinking?

Good memory on Otis quitting the team for a time (sophomore year?). But I don't think it had to do with creating his own shot - he came in as someone with pretty highly-developed offensive talent. [I consider him the guy Syracuse centers (offensively, at least) should try to emulate.] The rebounding and defense, though, took some time to round into form

He was getting no PT. By his senior year he had the best footwork of any big man in college.

Good memory on Otis quitting the team for a time (sophomore year?). But I don't think it had to do with creating his own shot - he came in as someone with pretty highly-developed offensive talent. [I consider him the guy Syracuse centers (offensively, at least) should try to emulate.] The rebounding and defense, though, took some time to round into form
Don't agree at all with your statement about Hill having highly developed offensive game when he came in. His O was awful and had no touch at all as a frosh. Don't you remember him at least once a game but many times more getting ball near high post area and being lost resulting in real bad unforced travels? His offensive improvement was one of most impressive turnarounds during Boeheim era.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Rak has the skinner body and the arm length to bump while dribbling (despite his weight).
Guys like Otis Hill and Rick jackson would put a sholder into thier man and lean into them using their massive widebody. I didn't watch alot of Otis in college but what I saw in 96 was, unlike Rick sometimes he would keep his body long, upright and stiff instead of getting low in a dribbling stance. And his defender would roll off of him instead of him off his defender. Maybe thats due to footwork though

Hard to read Raks footwork the guy doesn't turn and put the ball on the floor agressively. To often bigs don't turn after receiving a post pass and immedietly put the ball on the floor. I always assumed its because they haven't proved to be ready to in practice. If you don't try you will never develop though.
Thats one the thing with syracuse basketball, we play to win each game. Alot off times we don't try to develop our poorer jumpshooters and guys who don't have the isolation dribble in practice in game. Its just JB's style.

Anyway my point is Rak is long and tall with a stretched, upright, stiff stance when he gets the ball and attacks the basket. Unlike Rick Jackson and More like a jacked Hakim Warrick. I think thats a good habit to have maybe even better then footwork.

You make a good point, questioning the footwork, and at the other end of the spectrum if he ever found the footwork and a 12 foot shot, he could totally dominate as one of the best scorers and defenders in college ball put together if at PF, A absolute beast lottery pick. Rak has that nice face up baby hook like Hill's senior season while his body is upright. Nice comparison.

Same goes for Dajuan who has a better dribble then Rak, maybe because he tries more. They can and will teach each other. Not saying any of this is right but its just my observations.

Don't agree at all with your statement about Hill having highly developed offensive game when he came in. His O was awful and had no touch at all as a frosh. Don't you remember him at least once a game but many times more getting ball near high post area and being lost resulting in real bad unforced travels? His offensive improvement was one of most impressive turnarounds during Boeheim era.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OK, 'highly developed' was probably an overstatement. And he was pretty adept at getting whistled for that little shuffle of the feet.

But he was quite skilled offensively, even as a freshman, and a lot of his difficulty (and the reason he lost his starting job to Reafsnyder in '95) was at the other end. Of defense, rebounding, and offense, offense was the least of his problems.

Last season, I remember Rak making two turn around jump bank shots from ~6. Very polished - looked like he had been making them all his life. Don't know why he didn't try more. Also remember a good looking 10' jumper for the lane. I think Rak is better on O than most think, and I think we will see it this season when he doesn't have the 90 sec hook hanging over his head.

Last season, I remember Rak making two turn around jump bank shots from ~6. Very polished - looked like he had been making them all his life. Don't know why he didn't try more. Also remember a good looking 10' jumper for the lane. I think Rak is better on O than most think, and I think we will see it this season when he doesn't have the 90 sec hook hanging over his head.

I saw those things, too. He's got very good touch, especially considering his advance billing as a raw and defensive-minded player. It's going to be great to see Rakeem play without the hook threat and with guards trying to set him up.

I also saw that. It happened twice, if I recall. The 3 areas where I hope to see improvement are: 1)XMAS's footwork, South's ability to drive, MCW being able to smoothly bring the ball up court.
I cannot remember South ever even trying to drive. Correct me if I am wrong.

Speaking of Otis Hill. I remember that he got a tryout with the Knicks. After that, what happened to him?

I also saw that. It happened twice, if I recall. The 3 areas where I hope to see improvement are: 1)XMAS's footwork, South's ability to drive, MCW being able to smoothly bring the ball up court.
I cannot remember South ever even trying to drive. Correct me if I am wrong.

Speaking of Otis Hill. I remember that he got a tryout with the Knicks. After that, what happened to him?

Yeah, a couple of times later in the season. Got a couple leaners/layups out of it. He only takes about three dribbles to get to the rim from 20 feet out. Looks kind of weird, but he had limited success with it.

I think Otis played overseas for quite awhile. I'd like to know what he's doing now. Who'd have thought that we'd not see a center with his offensive ability for fifteen years (and counting) after he graduated?