Yankees hope to pay no luxury tax in 2014 | Syracusefan.com

Yankees hope to pay no luxury tax in 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/ya...in-down?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
Will MLB miss the $200,000,000 the Yankees have payed in luxury taxes since 1997?

If the Yankees do get to $189M in 2014, what does MLB do? The whole luxury tax concept becomes worthless. Has to be terrifying for MLB.

I guess MLB's ace in the hole is that ARod contract. That's the one the Yankees can't take back and it's just going to continue making payroll trimming difficult. Cano will have his payday, but that could still fit within a team hitting a $189M figure.

If the Yankees do get to $189M in 2014, what does MLB do? The whole luxury tax concept becomes worthless. Has to be terrifying for MLB.

I'm sure the scumbags at the players union will cry collusion.

With Mariano and Jeter retiring soon (Mariano after this year possible) it won't be difficult for the Yanks to get to that number at all. And with their farm system being well stacked it will become very easy actually. I mean guys like Nick Swisher and Russell Martin will be looking for new teams, but for the most part they won't have to make many moves by 2014.

In 2014 MLB has a salary cap with the new rule/penalty it imposes. And the teams that succeed will spend their money in their scouting and development and not on the field. The Yankees have shifted to this in recent years and the payoff is coming soon.