You know you wanted it... | Syracusefan.com

You know you wanted it...

"Don't wanna give em' the 3-point shot. He got the 3-point shot...and buried it"!
"You've got a timeout, if not he should take it all the way, Wallace"!
"What a game, Tim"!!
The late great Al McGuire with one of my favorite game calls EVER.
upload_2017-3-23_21-43-4.jpeg

That clip brings about a duality of nostalgia for me. Though my earliest SU hoops memories are of Moten & his socks, it was watching the '96 run & specifically this game as a 6 year old that got me hooked for life. Less than a year later, I find myself in the old Sangertown Mall theatre seeing Titanic & my first glimpse of female nudity (Winslet)...while sitting between my parents lol Man, those were the days.

I can't begin to explain how much I lost my mind during that game -- I basically had my entire dorm room floor and RA ready to call the police.
I watched it all by myself in my dark and family room, husband and kids upstairs sleeping. This was during my early fandom and I didn't have a legion of friends to call and scream and yell with. One of the most exciting games I have ever seen in my entire life! It was eerie.

Man, did I drink a lot during this tourney run. Especially this particular Friday night, but especially the Sunday that followed it. But especially the Saturday that followed that. Probably the Monday after that too, but that one became more of an Irish wake.

So much fun.

Fun fact -- after that run I had a public speaking class and my final speech was about John Wallace and how he not only played for my favorite college squad, but got drafted by my favorite NBA team lol -- I got an A. Few months back I met John at a NYC nightspot.

It's obviously a moot point, but could you imagine if UGA came back down & hit a 2 pointer after Wallace's foot was clearly on the line. I'm guessing there was no rule back then for them to go back on replay & change it from a 3 to a 2, or was there?

Amazing game, amazing finish.

What is truly impressive is how well BOTH teams played down the stretch, making shot after shot. Like two heavyweights standing in the center of the ring exchanging blows.

Glad we landed the haymaker at the end.

Why do we have to ruin some great sports moments with an awful song, from an awful movie, sorry I have to be that guy.

Belongs on the Mount Rushmore of All Time Great SU games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom