Your 2013 March Madness announcing teams... | Syracusefan.com

Your 2013 March Madness announcing teams...

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
http://news.turner.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=6337

Following are the announcer pairings for the second and third rounds (Thursday, March 21-Sunday, March 24):

Play-By-Play / Analyst // Reporter
*Regional Announce Teams

Jim Nantz / Clark Kellogg // Tracy Wolfson*
Marv Albert / Steve Kerr // Craig Sager*
Verne Lundquist / Bill Raftery // Rachel Nichols*
Kevin Harlan / Reggie Miller / Len Elmore // Lewis Johnson*
Ian Eagle / Jim Spanarkel // Allie LaForce
Brian Anderson / Dan Bonner // Marty Snider
Tim Brando / Mike Gminski // Otis Livingston
Spero Dedes / Doug Gottlieb // Jaime Maggio

Please no Harlan, Miller, and Elmore. Harlan who seems professinal at the NBA level, lacks the professionalism for a truly emotional battle. Harlan lost all sense of perspective and became very biased as he was cheerleading for UNC-Asheville last year.

Anyone know why Jay Bilas doesn't do games anymore? Used to work with Dick Enberg all the time.

Only 3 I hope SU gets are Albert/Kerr, Verne/Raf, Eagle/Spanarkel. However, since I think we will get sent to San Jose just because I have a feeling expect Dedes/Gottlieb because those 2 will get the least sexy regional and I think that will be in San Jose.

Anyone know why Jay Bilas doesn't do games anymore? Used to work with Dick Enberg all the time.
ESPN's latest contracts prevent that. Raftery is probably safe since he isn't one of ESPN's high-profile, in-studio, analysts.

http://news.turner.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=6337

Following are the announcer pairings for the second and third rounds (Thursday, March 21-Sunday, March 24):

Play-By-Play / Analyst // Reporter
*Regional Announce Teams

Jim Nantz / Clark Kellogg // Tracy Wolfson*
Marv Albert / Steve Kerr // Craig Sager*
Verne Lundquist / Bill Raftery // Rachel Nichols*
Kevin Harlan / Reggie Miller / Len Elmore // Lewis Johnson*
Ian Eagle / Jim Spanarkel // Allie LaForce
Brian Anderson / Dan Bonner // Marty Snider
Tim Brando / Mike Gminski // Otis Livingston
Spero Dedes / Doug Gottlieb // Jaime Maggio

Some very good crews there. I think Spanarkel and Bonner are very underrated. Know their stuff and are aware that its not about them.

Please no Harlan, Miller, and Elmore. Harlan who seems professinal at the NBA level, lacks the professionalism for a truly emotional battle. Harlan lost all sense of perspective and became very biased as he was cheerleading for UNC-Asheville last year.

I loathe Elmore. Talks down to the audience and always sounds like he got out of the wrong side of the bed.

ESPN's latest contracts prevent that. Raftery is probably safe since he isn't one of ESPN's high-profile, in-studio, analysts.
Actually, Raf has 2 contracts 1 with both ESPN and CBS. ESPN lets CBS use Len Elmore and used to allow Bilas to work for them as well, but Bilas has risen up on ESPN food chain and ESPN doesn't let him go now either. CBS always wanted to borrow Dick Vitale(shuttering image him calling an NCAA tournament) but ESPN didn't want their highest profile guy working games for CBS.

Only 3 I hope SU gets are Albert/Kerr, Verne/Raf, Eagle/Spanarkel. However, since I think we will get sent to San Jose just because I have a feeling expect Dedes/Gottlieb because those 2 will get the least sexy regional and I think that will be in San Jose.

We don't want Verne. I swear he's announced at least five NCAA defeats for SU. I remember him on the 1983 loss to OSU and the 2012 loss to OSU and several in between. When I see him come on the screen I know we are doomed.

We don't want Verne. I swear he's announced at least five NCAA defeats for SU. I remember him on the 1983 loss to OSU and the 2012 loss to OSU and several in between. When I see him come on the screen I know we are doomed.
He was on the call in Boston in 2003, Verne and Raf are a first class announce team. I love Gus Johnson but I don't blame him for the Vermont loss.

He was on the call in Boston in 2003, Verne and Raf are a first class announce team. I love Gus Johnson but I don't blame him for the Vermont loss.

I'm not blaming Verne lundquist for an SU loss but I swear he has presided over a ton of them. Just superstitious that's all. Btw I think there are several other crews just as good as Verne/raf. I'd take eagle/Spanarkel in a heartbeat. Marv Albert is one of the all time best.

I don't care. There's no Gus Johnson. That to me is an absolute travesty.

Some of these calls are incredible!

San Jose has Spero Dedes and Doug Gottlieb written all over it and it's looking more and more like SU will get shipped out there

The problem with Gus Johnson is that he is not that smart, and may not be that prepared. I would imagine that irritates the hell out of some prodeucrers and executive types. Great voice and great to capture the moment. I would want him to do the NCAA because he elevates the broadcast. You just have to sometimes ignore what he says during game - some of what he says is just outright wrong. Gus simply delivers in the clutch, which is when his strengths shine.

The problem with Gus Johnson is that he is not that smart, and may not be that prepared. I would imagine that irritates the hell out of some prodeucrers and executive types. Great voice and great to capture the moment. I would want him to do the NCAA because he elevates the broadcast. You just have to sometimes ignore what he says during game - some of what he says is just outright wrong. Gus simply delivers in the clutch, which is when his strengths shine.
That clip was the moment I loved Gus Johnson for March Madness. He also did the UCLA-Gonzaga game where Adam Morrison cried and it was a great Gus Johnson moment.

Gus Johnson is all about what March Madness is all about...i.e. watching the game with your buddies and going crazy when something unbelievable happens, even if it's not your team.

That's why hearing him do MM was so much fun...you felt like you were part of the madness.

On the bright side ... Gus Johnson now works for FOX.

If you were the higher seeded team you didn't want to hear his voice. I still have nightmares about "Sorrentine... he hit that one from the parking lot!!!" Also I hope SU gets the two drunk uncles announcing team of Verne and Bill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom