Your Ra Ra Colgate Win Last Week | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Your Ra Ra Colgate Win Last Week

We did have a lot of issues O tonight but I think those are things that work themselves out as the year goes on. Dungey had a poor game both in his decision making and his passing in general. He stared down his primary WR and missed a bunch of open guys. But this was his first real game in this system and it was against a good D. So I am not too worried. The OL has had issues but it is a new group of players playing a new system. As the season goes on I expect them to improve. Once the running game gets more consistent, the O will be even harder to stop.

The two questions I had this game were:

-I didn't understand all the running up the middle. Babers was praising the talent they had at DT and MLB yet we tried to attack that? I felt like we played very conservative in the 2nd half. Either by running too much or calling a very conservative pass. Our 1st and 2nd down plays were lacking which put us in 3rd and long pretty often.

-Louisville blitzed quite often without even disguising it, yet we didn't try to attack where the blitz was coming from. Maybe that was more on Dungey but at some point shouldn't that have been corrected? If they are blitzing from the trips side why not take what the D is giving you? Sure it would be a short gain but that is better than no gain or a loss. Or since they are likely to have single coverage, why not hope that you can get the pass off and throw deep? Instead we tried to force the ball away from the blitz, which never worked. Or we tried a screen which was never close to being executed.

I wasn't crazy about the play calling in the 2nd half and since we were going 3 and out, we might as well have been aggressive. We had several drives down 14-17 points yet had passive play calls. But this was only one game, against a good D, where the coaches are still trying to figure out what they have in the players. So I am not worried.

How many times must it be said that it takes about 16 games before the offense works as it should?

Yea, i got hammered last week about my offensive complaints. Its the end of the second quarter and yes, the villes offense is awesome and the Tampa 2 is a big vagina. That said, this is still on dino and the oc. The play calling is atrocious. The defense has come up with 2 big stops and 2 turnovers. What did the offense do all 4 times after a change in momentum? Run up the middle. Waaaay too many lateral passes to the sideline, waaaay, too many ed runs. We refuse to use the middle of the field, and that 4th down play where we ran 4 guys out to the right, including an olineman!!!???? And still threw the ball that way?????? Petrino is waaaayyyy ahead of us. Nice play by ed and ett at the 2:42 Mark now that half of the students are gone. #getoutaheadofit.

So how did the Windex taste? You were surely chugging it.

Funny. Sad if he does.

If we had Shafer it would be 35-0 Louisville... With absolutely zero hope of coming back.

As fked as it sounds... We could still win this game.
Every0ne forgets that Shafer lost by over 50 points twice during his first season.

We did have a lot of issues O tonight but I think those are things that work themselves out as the year goes on. Dungey had a poor game both in his decision making and his passing in general. He stared down his primary WR and missed a bunch of open guys. But this was his first real game in this system and it was against a good D. So I am not too worried. The OL has had issues but it is a new group of players playing a new system. As the season goes on I expect them to improve. Once the running game gets more consistent, the O will be even harder to stop.

The two questions I had this game were:

-I didn't understand all the running up the middle. Babers was praising the talent they had at DT and MLB yet we tried to attack that? I felt like we played very conservative in the 2nd half. Either by running too much or calling a very conservative pass. Our 1st and 2nd down plays were lacking which put us in 3rd and long pretty often.

-Louisville blitzed quite often without even disguising it, yet we didn't try to attack where the blitz was coming from. Maybe that was more on Dungey but at some point shouldn't that have been corrected? If they are blitzing from the trips side why not take what the D is giving you? Sure it would be a short gain but that is better than no gain or a loss. Or since they are likely to have single coverage, why not hope that you can get the pass off and throw deep? Instead we tried to force the ball away from the blitz, which never worked. Or we tried a screen which was never close to being executed.

I wasn't crazy about the play calling in the 2nd half and since we were going 3 and out, we might as well have been aggressive. We had several drives down 14-17 points yet had passive play calls. But this was only one game, against a good D, where the coaches are still trying to figure out what they have in the players. So I am not worried.

Excellent assessment. While my original post last night was emotionally fueled, you touched on alot of my same points. The defense was actually hanging tough into the second quarter and early third (until that 3rd and 18 backbreaker). We got a few stops and turnovers, but not once did we take a shot on a changeof momentum play. We were stubborn running up the middle, right at their strength and we refused to use the middle of the field in the passing game. Post and dig patterns are still some of the toughest to defend in the game but we refuse to use the real estate between the hashes. As much talent as the ville has, they used the middle all night, just like the first play of the game. We were hanging around 14-17 down for a while. Yes our defense got torched, but the offense did them no favors in trying to close the gap. If that game becomes a touchdown game, the villes offense changes perspective, perhaps gets a bit tight, the dome wakes up, and it's a whole new ballgame. Its disheartening for a defense to get a few stops and/or turnovers and the offense not take advantage.

Tell me; no one here thought that Louisville was going to bring on the Tampa 2 "Beaver Cleaver" on the first play...????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom