Zaire Franklin: Colts | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Zaire Franklin: Colts

Thought I'd add to Mr. Stephen Holder's comments.

Syracuse could not have a better social NFL representative than the well - spoken, amazing, professional athlete Zaire Franklin. I have followed him since he came to SU. His stats speak for themselves but he also speaks volumes of truth with his posts and instagrams.

I put his pre – draft measurables up. Didn’t know he ran a 4.62 40 or his vertical was getting close to 40” at a 38”. He has surpassed my expectations and he’s been rewarded for his play. One great athlete and person out there from Syracuse University.

"While at Syracause, Franklin recorded 311 career tackles over the course of 48 total games, starting the final 39 of his career. Franklin was a two-time All-Atlantic Coast Conference selection.[1] Additionally, he was only the second three-time captain in Orange football history and the first since 1896.[2]

Professional career[edit]
Pre-draft measurables
Height
Weight
Arm length
Hand span
10-yard split
20-yard split
6 ft 0+1⁄8 in
(1.83 m)​
239 lb
(108 kg)​
31+3⁄4 in
(0.81 m)​
9+1⁄2 in
(0.24 m)​
4.62 s​
1.55 s​
2.65 s​
4.22 s​
6.97 s​
38.0 in
(0.97 m)​
10 ft 2 in
(3.10 m)​
30 reps​
All values from 2017 Syracuse Pro Day[3]
Franklin was drafted by the Indianapolis Colts in the seventh round, 235th overall, of the 2018 NFL Draft.[4] The Colts previously obtained the pick used to select Franklin by trading Henry Anderson to the New York Jets. Franklin made his NFL debut on September 9, 2018 against the Cincinnati Bengals, recording one tackle on special teams.[5] He made his first career start at linebacker on September 23 against the Philadelphia Eagles, notching one tackle on defense and another on special teams.[6] In his rookie season, Franklin appeared in all 16 regular season games, starting two, and recorded 29 tackles and one pass defended.[7]

On September 8, 2020 Franklin was named one of the five team captains heading into the 2020 season.

On March 16, 2022, Franklin signed a three-year, $12 million contract extension with the Colts".[8]

Last edited:
Wow.
Congrats to Zaire Fraklin on the new Colts franchise tackle record. What a year! We love you, man.

images

166 TACKLES
102 SOLO
12 TFL
3.0 SACKS
6 QBH
6 PD
3 FF

Zaire Franklin Becomes Colts' Single-Season Record Holder In Tackles​

Indianapolis Colts linebacker Zaire Franklin on Sunday logged seven total tackles to get to 166 on the year, breaking teammate Shaquille Leonard’s franchise single-season record for tackles.​

Jan 08, 2023 at 08:20 PM

Andrew Walker
Colts.com Writer

010822_ind-hou-franklin-sack

© Indianapolis Colts
With just more than 10 minutes to go in the third quarter of Sunday's 2022 season finale against the Houston Texans, Zaire Franklin, on the precipice of becoming the Indianapolis Colts' single-season record holder in tackles, laid on the Lucas Oil Stadium turf in pain.

But at that very moment, as trainers evaluated his ankle injury on the field — even as Franklin at the time had earned his 163rd total tackle on the season, tying teammate Shaquille Leonard's record — those sorts of accolades were the furthest thing from Franklin's mind.

Instead, in the 17th and final game of a frustrating Colts season, Franklin just wanted to figure out a way to get back on the field and finish the year off with his brothers on defense.
"If I started a game, I want to finish it," Franklin recalled of his thought process at the time. "Being out there with my teammates means everything to me. I know they depend on me, and if I ever could go, I'm going to go no matter the circumstance no matter, whatever it is.

"When I was down, as soon as I could feel my ankle, I was like, 'You know what? Let's see if we can move on it and get back out there.' There was no way I wasn't going to come back in for the guys."
Franklin walked off to the sideline under his own power, albeit a bit gingerly. But after some more work with the trainers, and some more movement off to the side, the veteran linebacker was able to quickly return to game action.

Then, finally, with 2:55 left in the fourth quarter, Franklin was able to make history, as he took down Texans running back Dare Ogunbowale for his 164th tackle on the year, officially becoming the franchise's single-season record holder for total stops.

Franklin would add another two tackles — including a sack — the rest of the contest to officially finish his impressive 2022 campaign with 166 total tackles (102 solo), 12 tackles for loss, 3.0 sacks, six quarterback hits, six passes defensed and three forced fumbles.

Earning that single-season tackles record, Franklin admitted after the game, means "a lot."
"(It's) a combination of a lot of hard work, just believing in myself, and trusting in my teammates," Franklin said. "I'm thankful for the coaches and my teammates who put me in the right position to make plays."

That Franklin was able to make such a large impact in his fifth NFL season in 2022 is highly unlikely for most players, simply due to his draft position and the Colts' deep talent pool at linebacker during his time in Indy. Franklin, a seventh-round pick by the Colts out of Syracuse in 2018, was initially counted on to be a special teams standout, while others, including Leonard, 2019 third-round pick Bobby Okereke, and Anthony Walker (now with the Cleveland Browns), took a majority of the snaps at linebacker on defense.

Heading into this season, however, with a new defensive coordinator in Gus Bradley, Franklin was able to earn a starting linebacker role from Week 1, mostly playing alongside Okereke and E.J. Speed with Leonard limited to just three games due to injuries.

Franklin rewarded Bradley's confidence in him by playing like one of the league's top linebackers all season, using his instincts, speed, and striking ability to make play after play, week after week. Not to be lost either is the performance this season by Okereke, whose 149 total tackles are the ninth most by a defender in a single season in Colts history.

And now, Franklin, who will almost certainly finish the season in the top five in the league in total tackles, will assuredly take a brief break to start his offseason before setting his sights on making even more plays for the Colts' defense next season.

"It's been a journey," Franklin said. "I'm just thankful that I was able to prove myself in the league this year and stamp myself as a true player in this league and playmaker. And this record is just the icing on top."

COLTS SINGLE-SEASON TACKLES LEADERS

1. Zaire Franklin (2022): 166

2. Shaquille Leonard (2018): 163
3 (t). Jeff Herrod (1991): 160
3 (t). Mike Peterson (2000): 160
5. Jeff Herrod (1990): 155
6. Jeff Herrod (1989):154
7 (t). Quentin Coryatt (1993): 150
7 (t). D'Qwell Jackson (2015): 150
9. Bobby Okereke (2022): 149
10. Pat Angerer (2011): 148

Last edited:
his sophomore year he was doing some sort of internship with the Marketing department and he joined myself and a few others at taste of syracuse in our little food-truck-style trailer. The idea was to just drum up excitement/ticket sales -- but come on... its taste of Syracuse.

He had the best attitude of anyone there. He was so infectious with positivity about coming to the dome and supporting his team. My buddy and I still joke about how awesome that was when he absolutely didn't have to be. Seeing him succeed in the NFL (and off the field) is so awesome and not at all surprising