Possible Portal Point Guards | Page 64 | Syracusefan.com

Possible Portal Point Guards

Had 93 assists and 93 turnovers last season. That is my primary concern.

In his last 6 games though, he had 30 assists and 16 turnovers. Maybe something clicked? I like players who improved steadily during their career. This guy did.

Draws a lot of fouls. 206 FTs attempted is a lot. Judah was the gold standard here with 264 FTs attempted last season.

The addition of Carlos as a true PG backup makes a combo like Evans at point much more feasible for roster flexibility, IMO

Absolutely! My thoughts as well. And your CG can slide to the 2G so you can ride the hot hand at that position. Situationally you are covering all bases. Especially if Chance can be a secondary playmaker from the two or three.

Heck of a player but not really a PG. Would be interesting to see who would be our lead guard if Evans and JJ are both starting. I might imagine Red would give JJ first crack but I don't know.

Heck of a player but not really a PG. Would be interesting to see who would be our lead guard if Evans and JJ are both starting. I might imagine Red would give JJ first crack but I don't know.
Wasn’t JJ seen as a lead guard coming out of high school? I mean he didn’t display any playmaking or passing vision last year but he seems like a solid ball handler. Definitely not ideal but not sure if ideal is out there right now.

Wasn’t JJ seen as a lead guard coming out of high school? I mean he didn’t display any playmaking or passing vision last year but he seems like a solid ball handler. Definitely not ideal but not sure if ideal is out there right now.

I am pretty sure he was and that is where my thought about him sliding over might be a plan for Red or at least getting first crack at it. Maybe a mind set shift from JJ might be good for both him and the program. Again I don't know Red's plan just throwing out some ideas

Had 93 assists and 93 turnovers last season. That is my primary concern.

In his last 6 games though, he had 30 assists and 16 turnovers. Maybe something clicked? I like players who improved steadily during their career. This guy did.

Draws a lot of fouls. 206 FTs attempted is a lot. Judah was the gold standard here with 264 FTs attempted last season.
Yeah, I think an Evans commitment = JJ as the lead ball handler (assuming Evans would be starting over Carlos). Evans is not a combo guard; he's a shooting guard. It seems like a lot of his offense came posting up at the elbow.

If we get Evans would that quiet all the Engelstad doubters who were already complaining?

Never! No matter what happens with Syracuse basketball as long as he’s an assistant coach, whenever something goes bad people will be pulling that card out and playing it. Some people wouldn’t know what to do if they weren’t miserable.

Last edited:
Yeah, I want a true pt guard that can shoot the 3 at 37 or 38%. But that guy might not be out there. And we need good players.
En lieu of a pure PG, having guys that know how to play, are tough and are willing passers is a good move. We could win a lot of games with the roster we have (including Evan’s hopefully) if they play the right way and play with toughness and for eachother.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom