‘83 G’town @ SU ESPNU 2:30p | Syracusefan.com

‘83 G’town @ SU ESPNU 2:30p

W'boro'Cuse315

All American
Part of day-long John Thompson marathon on ESPNU. Some classic games, though this is the only one featuring ‘Cuse.

“Georgetown may be down this season, but a crowd of 31,327, the largest for a college basketball game on campus, discovered tonight that the Hoyas were far from out. Led by 6-foot-1-inch Michael Jackson and 7-foot Pat Ewing, the short and the long of it on the Georgetown roster, the Hoyas scored a 97-92 victory over Syracuse.

Jackson's 25-foot jump shot with 1 minute 9 seconds to play put Georgetown in front, 93-92, and Jackson's two free throws with 31 seconds left, followed by David Wingate's stuff 24 seconds later, assured the victory. Georgetown's 97 points were the most scored against any of Jim Boeheim's teams in his seven years as Syracuse coach.”

Also from the above article,

“As usual, Ewing was a force under the basket although he did not endure the heavy elbowing and pushing that had angered him in previous games and led to two fights in a loss to St. John's last Saturday. Coach John Thompson had said that he would have Ewing, a sophomore, turn pro at the end of the season unless game officials kept opponents from fouling him continually without the fouls being called.

''My thoughts haven't changed,'' said Thompson after the game tonight. ''If you call a foul when one player leans on another away from the post, you have to call one when someone rides the big man in the post. I can't say what happened here until I see the game films.''

This was obviously the year before Pearl arrived but, for an idea of who stud out for SU, also per the article,

“Then Syracuse came alive. Erich Santifer, Andre Hawkins and Leo Rautins led a 20-3 spurt, and Georgetown contributed to its woes with eight turnovers in three minutes.”

Of course they picked the games GT won lol.
Many of the greatest SU-Georgetown games, especially those on Saturdays in the Dome, were broadcast by CBS. So, those are not options here. I specifically remember Charles Smith's end-to-end drive and scoop to win (SU lost, 68-69) in Jan. 1988. ... Painful 32 years later.

So much better when you could actually hear crowd noise on the broadcasts.
This is so so so true. Glad you said it. I've noticed that especially in baseball. I watched Game 6 of the 1986 World Series recently. I could barely make out Vin Scully and Joe Garagiola. I mean it was tough to hear anything coherent from the greatest announcer in the history of sport during a Mets rally (and even a Red Sox rally as the boo-birds were out). And that made it ... friggin' EXCITING as sh!tt!

I still love televised sport and baseball, but do I need to hear A-Rod *sigh* or John Smoltz agree with something by humming, "Uh-huh?" It's like watching a game in an oncology waiting room. Big big mistake for baseball and really all televised sports.

This is so so so true. Glad you said it. I've noticed that especially in baseball. I watched Game 6 of the 1986 World Series recently. I could barely make out Vin Scully and Joe Garagiola. I mean it was tough to hear anything coherent from the greatest announcer in the history of sport during a Mets rally (and even a Red Sox rally as the boo-birds were out). And that made it ... friggin' EXCITING as sh!tt!

I still love televised sport and baseball, but do I need to hear A-Rod *sigh* or John Smoltz agree with something by humming, "Uh-huh?" It's like watching a game in an oncology waiting room. Big big mistake for baseball and really all televised sports.

Yup. You get no sense of the game experience now. Way too sterile.