“Colgate is a better team than about anyone we will play against a zone” | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

“Colgate is a better team than about anyone we will play against a zone”

Sorry I didn’t have a chance to watch the game. Did we ever try to press? I know our team is not very athletic but it should still be more athletic than Colgate. Sure the press yields open shots but it also changes the tone of the game.

The 2003 team bailed itself out several tomes with the press and they were not the best zone team here by a long shot.

Sorry I didn’t have a chance to watch the game. Did we ever try to press? I know our team is not very athletic but it should still be more athletic than Colgate. Sure the press yields open shots but it also changes the tone of the game.

The 2003 team bailed itself out several tomes with the press and they were not the best zone team here by a long shot.
Yes we did. I recall mayve we got 1 turnover? But mostly Colgate had 0 issues with it. They were extremely patient.

Press is not going to be much of a weapon for us I don't think. Our length is either too slow or too inexperienced. Also Colgate was ready for it and I think was good with speeding up. For the press to work we need to play Benny and Symir and we can't play them together on offense. Nobody is going to guard them. I'm not sure anyone is going to guard Junior either as his shot also looks like a chuck. Colgate took away Buddy for the most part in the second half. Think ACC teams will make it even tougher. Going to be an interesting year. We have shooter, can we get them shots starting next week?

I’m serious I’ve never seen some of that defensive alignment ever in my time watching basketball. It simultaneously looked like colgate had 6 players, but also seemed like half the players were not on the court with how much court was visible, usually around the foul line where a guy was just routinely pivoting with the ball.
We should not have had a player within 10’ of the guy at the foul line. He wasn’t going to shoot: ever. That drove me nuts that we even paid attention to him.

And... Colgate scored 100 points - that's not bad. The game before playing us they scored 95. Maybe they've got something there, I know, they can shoot the ball really well.
You can't win if you don't rebound and play Defense. And, we didn''t.
I sound just like JB. The point is, it's true.
Did you think they were just another cupcake were going to roll over? Not many cupcakes on our schedule and here comes Atlantis.
Colgate: better at soccer and bball than SU

Sometimes we hear that teams outrebound us because they shoot a bad percentage which leads to offensive rebounds formthe opponent or we shoot a bad percentage which leads to more defensive rebounds formthe opponent. They outshot us and had 7 more offensive rebounds. They had almost as many offensive rebounds as we had defensive. Every guard on their roster had more rebounds than Buddy or Swider. The one guy on their roster that saw the floor and had fewer played only 8 minutes. One of their guards that had more played only 20 minutes.

If JB is gonna ask the C to get out on corner shooters and everyone is going to shifting all over the court because of good ball movement. How many of their made 3's came off of offensive rebounds?

Sometimes we hear that teams outrebound us because they shoot a bad percentage which leads to offensive rebounds formthe opponent or we shoot a bad percentage which leads to more defensive rebounds formthe opponent. They outshot us and had 7 more offensive rebounds. They had almost as many offensive rebounds as we had defensive. Every guard on their roster had more rebounds than Buddy or Swider. The one guy on their roster that saw the floor and had fewer played only 8 minutes. One of their guards that had more played only 20 minutes.

If JB is gonna ask the C to get out on corner shooters and everyone is going to shifting all over the court because of good ball movement. How many of their made 3's came off of offensive rebounds?
A lot. That was a main focus of JB’s press conference.

This was said by JB.

So the obvious question...and granted we know the answer...

why would you play a zone against them?

did nc state play us today and say “hey I know Tucker is real good and their qb can’t pass...but lets just play a passive nickel and see what happens. I’m sure they won’t run”
JAB has become impossible to defend (much like Colgate lol). He hasn't adjusted in 40 years and he won't now.

We should not have had a player within 10’ of the guy at the foul line. He wasn’t going to shoot: ever. That drove me nuts that we even paid attention to him.
And we didn’t for awhile. Then they started actually passing the ball high low from that spot, or their big would start backing down Edwards. Once that happened, I knew it was game over because at that point literally nothing was taken away.

And we didn’t for awhile. Then they started actually passing the ball high low from that spot, or their big would start backing down Edwards. Once that happened, I knew it was game over because at that point literally nothing was taken away.
We were to impatient. We felt like we had to guard someone.

Shooting is one thing, passing is another. Colgate had 5 guys that really could pass.
No doubt. Those other teams also have collectively bigger and more athletic players. And Baylor lost a lot, but they dominated last year and were the best shooting team in the country. That game could be hard to watch.

Nothing like him throwing his freshman Benny under the bus in the 3rd game of the year...

It was pretty lame of him. He states how he doesn't like "pluses and minuses" (from past comments as well he doesn't place very much credence in them) yet chooses to single out Benny being minus 28 and how that is a "really big number" and how you "really can't argue with that one."

Interesting, I guess (in JB's mind) you can only argue with the premise of such stats as these when it doesn't fit his particular narrative at the time. In this case, as you stated, "throwing his freshman under the bus." :(

Last edited:
It was pretty lame of him. He states how he doesn't like "pluses and minuses" (from past comments as well he doesn't place very much credence in them) yet chooses to single out Benny being minus 28 and how that is a "really big number" and how you "really can't argue with that one."

Interesting, I guess (in JB's mind) you can only argue with the premise of such stats as these when it doesn't fit his particular narrative at the time. In this case, as you stated, "throwing his freshman under the bus." :(

I'm more of "JB says stuff" person. It was an odd moment in the presser though, like he was looking at stats and thinking, what's the worst number on here for Benny. Got it!

I think he saw people with more minutes that had 0 assists and 2 rebounds, and was like, "okay, this is the one to go with tonight. Plus/Minus is the ticket!"

Here is the Benny Scouting report from Jerry Merry. Reliable 3 point shooter?? Where did it go?

Has positive length for a combo forward. Is thin, however, and needs to build up mass and strength. A high leaper with athleticism. Can struggle to utilize athleticism against contact and while in traffic. Has a great shooters touch. Finishes well on the move going to the basket. Is a reliable three-point shooter. Has potential to really extend his range. Not necessarily a nifty ball handler, but Williams is a reliable handler and can see the floor and distribute while on the move. Is a straight line driver who likes to utilize a crossover early in the drive. Has potential has a versatile defender and overall rebounder. Developing physical strength and toughness is vital.
all ive heard since he got to syracuse is that his shot is too flat...and that they are working with him to get more arc. his shot is very flat.

and thats all good but once you start messing with a player's mechanics...it not always gonna be a quick fix. I think changing a player's shot is something that can take a while.

Now instead of just playing without second guessing himself...he is probably wondering what to do and how to do it all the time...its not a recipe for good basketball play. its gotta be instinctual out there.

on both ends of the floor hes all in his head at the moment...and once he gets more comfortable, he will start playing a lot better imo.

i think he should just shoot like he always has...so what if its flat...he can make it like that.

Needed to sag off totally, take away the baseline

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom