“That was an awful call by me, an awful call” | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

“That was an awful call by me, an awful call”

I thought they definitely should have come out with the tank on 1st down and 2nd down. The big problem I have, is that you can't come out throwing on 1st and 2nd and then go to the tank on 3rd. The 1st down play was horrible. Nassib has absolutely no touch on his passes so the pass to Sales had no chance of succeeding. His lack of touch is one reason we struggle so much inside the 10 yard line, imo. The quick slant on 2nd down got blown up by a nice jam by the RU DB and Nassib apparently had no other options to throw to? 4th down, Lemon has to make that catch. He just has to, plain and simple.

Where the he!! was Broyld Saturday? He would have been a nice replacement for PTG, especially in this series.

I'm getting tired of DM not putting players in positions to succeed.
Does any one think that Broyld is suspended for doing something foolish and DM just isn't telling us?

Either way, Marrone is right. Awful calls from the 2 there. We need to score and should have rammed it in 4 tries if necessary. Other than that, I was ok with the play calling.
What about running for 3 yds. on third and 12 from the Rutgers 17 leading to the blocked FG? (better than the USC decision of punting from the USC 32 and kicking it in the end zone). What about the idea of going for a 50 yard FG? What about using your TOs at end of first half after Rutgers had ball way inside their own territory when it was obvious they wanted to run the clock out and SU had the momentum? Throwing v. the tank? Nassib had 6 not three incomplete passes out of 6 tries from inside the Rutgers 5. Sounds like a number of bad calls to me.

Maybe they should send in the tank and pass out of it? Then the coaches can say they felt strongly both ways.

What about running for 3 yds. on third and 12 from the Rutgers 17 leading to the blocked FG?

That was an awful call as well. I seriously think DM was scared Nassib would fumble again and played for the FG.

This is what I don't get...we have coaches that burn the 18 hour day / 6 day a week thing, and it took until game 5 in the schedule to put in a short yardage package that made sense, a package that could've won them a game or two before.

What the heck are they doing in that time? Doesn't someone say, hey, what's a good 2 yard plan, and that giant kid outta CO who can run it?

why are you recruiting running backs who borrow Hicks's belts if you don't always plan on using them in short yardage?

did they recruit him to return punts?

why are you recruiting running backs who borrow Hicks's belts if you don't always plan on using them in short yardage?

did they recruit him to return punts?

This is the stuff about football coaches that drives me mad. How many work hours did they spend before they figured this one out?

Running that guy straight ahead is infintely a better play call than those Mike Shanahan sweeps they go to that never work.

This is the stuff about football coaches that drives me mad. How many work hours did they spend before they figured this one out?

Running that guy straight ahead is infintely a better play call than those Mike Shanahan sweeps they go to that never work.

And you have 4 downs to do it. Well, that is if you don't wait until 3rd down. What's weird is Marrone saying he wanted to score quick. So what was the story on 3rd down, he suddenly wanted to score slowly?

Amazing that they spent two weeks midseason putting this package together, used it with success, then get a 1st and goal at the 2 and wait until 3rd down. I'm not surprised Marrone is his own worst critic about it with hindsight.

What about running for 3 yds. on third and 12 from the Rutgers 17 leading to the blocked FG? (better than the USC decision of punting from the USC 32 and kicking it in the end zone). What about the idea of going for a 50 yard FG? What about using your TOs at end of first half after Rutgers had ball way inside their own territory when it was obvious they wanted to run the clock out and SU had the momentum? Throwing v. the tank? Nassib had 6 not three incomplete passes out of 6 tries from inside the Rutgers 5. Sounds like a number of bad calls to me.

Maybe they should send in the tank and pass out of it? Then the coaches can say they felt strongly both ways.
Honestly, I didn't have much problem with that running call. I was scared to death of the interception. Unfortunately, that's what this team has done to my confidence in them. In addition, a FG would have given them the lead so given them being mistake-prone...I think going for a FG should have been the safer option.

"Throwing v. the tank" - the only issue I had was the first 2 plays from the 2. They got sort of lucky with the interference call and they should have just thanked the refs and run it 4 times. The prior calls weren't a problem for me. Sure, the plays before the penalty didn't work but hindsight is 20/20.

When it works, it's a good call.

When it doesn't work it's a bad call.

It's been that way for as long as I can recall.

Custer's last words: "If it had worked, I'd have been a genius".

I thought they definitely should have come out with the tank on 1st down and 2nd down. The big problem I have, is that you can't come out throwing on 1st and 2nd and then go to the tank on 3rd. The 1st down play was horrible. Nassib has absolutely no touch on his passes so the pass to Sales had no chance of succeeding. His lack of touch is one reason we struggle so much inside the 10 yard line, imo. The quick slant on 2nd down got blown up by a nice jam by the RU DB and Nassib apparently had no other options to throw to? 4th down, Lemon has to make that catch. He just has to, plain and simple.

Where the he!! was Broyld Saturday? He would have been a nice replacement for PTG, especially in this series.

I'm getting tired of DM not putting players in positions to succeed.
I didn't look at the replay but a friend was adamant that Lemon was interfered with on that play. Anyone agree with him?

I didn't look at the replay but a friend was adamant that Lemon was interfered with on that play. Anyone agree with him?
No, it was a good, clean hit, but the ball had already hit Lemon in both hands and he should have caught it. It was like he didn't expect the hit and that's what jarred it loose.

I don't recall Custer saying that.

He tweeted it just before the arrow went through his head.

No, it was a good, clean hit, but the ball had already hit Lemon in both hands and he should have caught it. It was like he didn't expect the hit and that's what jarred it loose.

Yeah, that play seems to get missed and Lemon has had too many of those goal line drops. If you're going to be a possession type guy you HAVE to make that play.

He tweeted it just before the arrow went through his head.

Yeah, that play seems to get missed and Lemon has had too many of those goal line drops. If you're going to be a possession type guy you HAVE to make that play.

A "possession" reciever is like a "contact hitter". If you don't make contact, you're not a hitter. If you don't have possesison, you're not a receiver.

A "possession" reciever is like a "contact hitter". If you don't make contact, you're not a hitter. If you don't have possesison, you're not a receiver.

And that may explain why Lemon just doesn't go to the next level and seems to be a perfect match with what this team has been doing the past 3.5 years...in between world talent...makes some plays and then drops/mistakes.

Honestly, I didn't have much problem with that running call. I was scared to death of the interception. Unfortunately, that's what this team has done to my confidence in them. In addition, a FG would have given them the lead so given them being mistake-prone...I think going for a FG should have been the safer option.

"Throwing v. the tank" - the only issue I had was the first 2 plays from the 2. They got sort of lucky with the interference call and they should have just thanked the refs and run it 4 times. The prior calls weren't a problem for me. Sure, the plays before the penalty didn't work but hindsight is 20/20.
Thats the only thing we can do on this board is comment on whats been done. I yell all the time what to do at the tv or at the game like others but they don't listen. LOL. I yelled go for the TD at last years Rutgers game for example but Mr. play calling likes to play not to lose and loses. When your in the cellar all the time what do you have to lose. Everybody but us addicts thinks SU FB is a loser, so don't worry bout spoiling others opinions. Go out and try to kick some butt. And be proud to say at least we tried!!!!

Thats the only thing we can do on this board is comment on whats been done. I yell all the time what to do at the tv or at the game like others but they don't listen. LOL. I yelled go for the TD at last years Rutgers game for example but Mr. play calling likes to play not to lose and loses. When your in the cellar all the time what do you have to lose. Everybody but us addicts thinks SU FB is a loser, so don't worry bout spoiling others opinions. Go out and try to kick some butt. And be proud to say at least we tried!!!!
Not sure about you, but I actually go onto the field during the game and make tackles.

Seriously, I agree that we all have our own opinions. I am not saying "be safe" in those situations for any reason other than I know our personnel, and I just want a win. The FG would have given us the lead. The 2 yard line plays could have given us the lead too. When you have a lead at the end of the game, you win. If you want more risk, you should be excited about the 2 pass calls staring at 1st & goal. I wasn't. No biggy...fans will differ. I am not worried about others opinions.

Coaches think working insane hours is a badge of honor.

Anyone with half a brain knows that if you're working 18 hours a day you are most certainly an abject failure in some crucial aspect of prioritizing and time management.

Coaches think working insane hours is a badge of honor.

Anyone with half a brain knows that if you're working 18 hours a day you are most certainly an abject failure in some crucial aspect of prioritizing and time management.

Probably why I root for the Spurrier's over the Saban's. The guy took the USC job for golf course access and still kicks tail on the football field.

Probably why I root for the Spurrier's over the Saban's. The guy took the USC job for golf course access and still kicks tail on the football field.

Yup. It's also why I prefer basketball coaches to football coaches. They're fully-formed human beings, not work obsessed freaks.

truth, although that same philosophy didn't win him many games in DC... Heck, I saw him on the course more than I should have when he was here...

truth, although that same philosophy didn't win him many games in DC... Heck, I saw him on the course more than I should have when he was here...

Not an NFL guy, nothing wrong with that. Plus the Skins franchise is cursed, and rightly so.

I don't know if he was interfered with but the defender got his hand in there with Lemons and deflected it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

If we had a QB with touch I would love to see the fake handoff to AAM in the Tank formation, the TE makes a chip block and then the QB rolls out hits him all alone in the endzone. At least that's how it works in my dreams. :D