0-18 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

0-18

Status
Not open for further replies.
We'd have to win 7 NCAA Tourney games.

We'll be in the play-in game in Dayton.

Nope, just six. We would have the ACC auto bid and would not be an at large.

We will surprise a top ACC team somewhere along the way. Question is will anybody be watching?
I was thinking about this earlier, but in the opposite way. It sucks to lose badly in a nationally televised game with many eyes watching.
A big win or two, however, could make us all feel better, even if the entirety of the season's results are disappointing.

Nope, just six. We would have the ACC auto bid and would not be an at large.
Nothing in the rules says an auto-bid team can't play in a play-in game. Suppose a team was the 15th seed in the ACC with a losing record (4-12 maybe) and gets hot and reels off 5 wins to get the bid. That would make that team something like 17-18. Are you going to give that team a 9 or 10 seed?

Is this scenario likely? No. But possible? Absolutely.

Nothing in the rules says an auto-bid team can't play in a play-in game. Suppose a team was the 15th seed in the ACC with a losing record (4-12 maybe) and gets hot and reels off 5 wins to get the bid. That would make that team something like 17-18. Are you going to give that team a 9 or 10 seed?

Is this scenario likely? No. But possible? Absolutely.

Actually the rules do spell out who must be included in play in games. Unless Syracuse would be a 16 seed in the NCAA tournament as ACC champ (this is even more unlikely then us actually winning the ACC tourney), there is no way they would in a play in game.

There are 2 sets of play in games:

1) The 4 worse automatic bids play for 2 spots on the 16 line
2) The 4 final at large teams play for 2 spots on usually the 11 line or 12 line. (But it has been on the 10,13 and I believe 14 line once to meet bracket rules -- the 14 line was to accommodate BYU)

Under no conditions would an auto bid be in the play in game in that second set of games (typically for a spot under the 11 or 12 seed line). Those games must be played by the final 4 at large teams.

Last edited:
Actually the rules clearly spell out who must be included in play in games. Unless you think Syracuse would be a 16 seed in the NCAA tournament as ACC champ, there is 100% no way they would in a play in game.

There are 2 sets of play in games:

1) The 4 worse automatic bids play for 2 spots on the 16 line
2) The 4 worse at large teams play for 2 spots on usually the 11 line or 12 line. (But it has been on the 10,13 and I believe 14 line once to meet bracket rules -- the 14 line was to accommodate BYU)

Under no conditions would an auto bid be in the play in game in that second set of games (typically for a spot under the 11 or 12 seed line). Those games must be played by at large teams.

Where would you seed a team that's 13-23 with an RPI in the 200's (or even 300's)?

Where would you seed a team that's 13-23 with an RPI in the 200's (or even 300's)?

#1 - He suggested a Syracuse team at 17-19, could be a play in game. Not a 13-23 team. But let's go with a 13-23 team.

#2 - At 13-23, after 5 neutral court wins, our RPI would actually be around 165 (use RPIForecast tool). This would not likely be amongst the 4 worse of the auto bids. Even if it was close, none of those teams would have 2 or 3 top 50 wins that we would need to have to win the ACC tourney. Teams with multiple top 50 wins don't get placed on the 16 seed line. Teams with 1 top 50 win usually are automatically taken off the 16 line to protect #1 seeds.

S0, compared to other 16 seed contenders:
a) We would have more top 50 wins,
b) More top 100 wins
c) Less bad losses (sub 100)
d) Likely a better RPI

So how would that team be a 16 seed?

Wasting a lot of typing here on something that will never happen. But if I am right on something, and somebody questions it, I will defend it.

Last edited:
#1 - He suggested a Syracuse team at 17-19, could be a play in game. Not a 13-23 team. But let's go with a 13-23 team.

#2 - At 13-23, after 5 neutral court wins, our RPI would actually be around 165 (use RPIForecast tool). This would not likely be amongst the 4 worse of the auto bids. Even if it was close, none of those teams would have 2 or 3 top 50 wins that we would need to have to win the ACC tourney. Teams with multiple top 50 wins don't get placed on the 16 seed line. Teams with 1 top 50 win usually are automatically taken off the 16 line to protect #1 seeds.

We wouldn't be a #16 seed, because 12-16 are reserved for AQ's from the 1 bid conferences.

We would be the lowest seeded team from a multi-bid conference. The four lowest teams from those conferences are always in the play-in games. Last year it was Michigan, Tulsa, Vandy and Wichita St.

We wouldn't be a #16 seed, because 12-16 are reserved for AQ's from the 1 bid conferences.

We would be the lowest seeded team from a multi-bid conference. The four lowest teams from those conferences are always in the play-in games. Last year it was Michigan, Tulsa, Vandy and Wichita St.

Sorry - I thought you were suggesting we would be a play in team on the 16 line.

My guess in the scenario of a 13-23 resume that is never going to happen would be a 14 seed. At 17-19, I would say 13.

You guys are talking "tournament?" Really? Okay, "gallows humor," right? :) Gentlemen, let's face the facts. Unless something changes drastically we're not going to even receive consideration for an NIT bid this year, let alone actually get one. 0-18 would be sad, but even the Browns won a game this year so I guess there's that. Something will happen somewhere. But it's time to be realistic. :noidea:

Last edited:
You guys are talking "tournament?" Really? Okay, gallows humor right? :) Gentlemen, let's face the facts. Unless something changes drastically we're not going to even receive consideration for an NIT bid this year, let alone actually get one. 0-18 would be sad, but even the Browns won a game this year so I guess there's that. Something will happen somewhere. But it's time to be realistic. :noidea:

You gotta have Hope.

And where there's Hope, there's Crosby.

upload_2017-1-2_11-36-3.jpeg

You guys are talking "tournament?" Really? Okay, gallows humor right? :) Gentlemen, let's face the facts. Unless something changes drastically we're not going to even receive consideration for an NIT bid this year, let alone actually get one. 0-18 would be sad, but even the Browns won a game this year so I guess there's that. Something will happen somewhere. But it's time to be realistic. :noidea:

Should probably read the context of a discussion...

No one is talking about realism. The scenario being discussed is an 0-18 or 4-14 ACC, followed by what would happen in the 1/100000000 scenario that we win the ACC tourney. There was a joke comment that we would need to win 7 games to win the tourney, and I made a comment that we would only need 6 wins to win the NCAA tournament.

Is it a useless time wasting discussion, but dammit, if I am right on something I will defend it.

You gotta have Hope.

And where there's Hope, there's Crosby.

Oh, no worries, I'm not depressed or complaining for we've been fortunate to avoid anything like this through most of 40-odd years. Just a little disappointed, but I'm taking it in stride. Excelsior. :)

Last edited:
At this point we should tank the season, play the freshmen, and get the highest draft choice we can. You know, the Sixers strategy. Look how well it has worked for them.

0-18 had to be much more likely than 7-4

Crazy year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online