1-0 and 4 more to go | Syracusefan.com

1-0 and 4 more to go

RF2044

Living Legend
Many people have discussed how this five game stretch will determine the fate of our season. Well, we're 1-0 and scored a win against a top 25 team to pad our resume.

We've played like a top 25 caliber team ever since Jim Boeheim returned to the bench, have to keep it rolling.

4 more huge games to go. 3 are at home. GT up next--can't afford to stub our toe.

Let's Go Orange!!!

This is obviously an important stretch before the Lville game. We could get to 8-5 in conference which would pretty much guarantee at least a .500 record. It may be asking a bit much but the defense has been much better since JB came back and it looks like Mal can fill the shooting void when Trev is missing. With the multiple shooters this team can be dangerous enough to beat anyone any given night however winning 6 in a row in the tourney with our lack of interior defense and scoring is a looooong shot. Got to say that even when losing this team is at least entertaining to watch. Richardson and Lydon are going to be stud college players next year and Howard looks like he will be able to handle the PG spot in the future. Add Chukwu and this class was is an all around win. I'd like to see us add another big to next years class.

I'm going to be depressed when JB finally hangs them up. I have faith that Hop will be a good coach but if this season has taught us anything its that JB is one of the greats.

This is obviously an important stretch before the Lville game. We could get to 8-5 in conference which would pretty much guarantee at least a .500 record. It may be asking a bit much but the defense has been much better since JB came back and it looks like Mal can fill the shooting void when Trev is missing. With the multiple shooters this team can be dangerous enough to beat anyone any given night however winning 6 in a row in the tourney with our lack of interior defense and scoring is a looooong shot. Got to say that even when losing this team is at least entertaining to watch. Richardson and Lydon are going to be stud college players next year and Howard looks like he will be able to handle the PG spot in the future. Add Chukwu and this class was is an all around win. I'd like to see us add another big to next years class.

I'm going to be depressed when JB finally hangs them up. I have faith that Hop will be a good coach but if this season has taught us anything its that JB is one of the greats.
Post more Jordoo!

Winning six in a row in the NCAAT is a longshot even when your team is healthy, playing well and has no apparent weaknesses.

jordoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Good to see you back buddy.

I think we need at least 3 of Gbinije, Richardson, Cooney, Lydon and Roberson to be on to win, at least against good teams. Seems like that's what hurt against Virginia with only Gbinije and Richardson bringing their A game. But last night really shows our potential when Gbinije, Lydon, Cooney and Richardson are hitting. Roberson had a solid game also. Then if Coleman plays with the fire he showed in the second half, it might get really exciting.

I think we need at least 3 of Gbinije, Richardson, Cooney, Lydon and Roberson to be on to win, at least against good teams. Seems like that's what hurt against Virginia with only Gbinije and Richardson bringing their A game. But last night really shows our potential when Gbinije, Lydon, Cooney and Richardson are hitting. Roberson had a solid game also. Then if Coleman plays with the fire he showed in the second half, it might get really exciting.
Bingo! Team game. We are so much better when they play together as a cohesive defensive unit. But for me, as far as the offense goes, attack the paint. So much better when we try to get high percentage looks than bombing away. We took plenty of threes yesterday, but seemed like we had the intention of penetrating the lane more often than when we were struggling.

This is obviously an important stretch before the Lville game.

All G has to do is pretend in transferred from Lville instead of Duke and we have chance to beat Lville at home. I wonder how our team matches up with Lville if we have a chance. I guess this is something to talk about in the coming weeks. This team if shooting well could probably beat any team. But the Yum center is just as bad as Cameron and the referees always side with the home crowd.

I totally agree with you. Of course, I just can't let a good opportunity go by without pisssing off someone with one of my dumb comments. So here goes. You know, I was watching Providence beat Villanova at Villanova last weekend. Providence play the 2-3 zone the whole second half. Ed Cooley did a very good job making adjustments in the zone to allow them to win. Ed Cooley seems to be a very good coach with lots of real game experience. I'm just saying maybe when JB hangs up his plaid sports jackets the AD should hire the best possible coach for the job.

We went from 0-5 defecit to a 12-5 lead in 3 minutes 47 seconds with stellar defense yet only one made 3 pointer. We didn't just chuck up 3's - we went inside out and outside in.

We made 3 fg's in the paint (6 points), a made ft on a foul shot after a layup (1 point), 2 free throws on a drive to the basket (2 points) and one 3 point shot totaling those 12 points. We had an inside game which loosened up our outside game. With a more diversifed offense , we made it much more difficult to defend us. We can't afford to be one dimensional.

We had an inside game which loosened up our outside game. With a more diversifed offense , we made it much more difficult to defend us.

G and Mali are both good getting to the hoop but it seems like every game they are initially somewhat hesitant to drive inside. This game it seemed they did open the lane more for them. Both their guards had three fouls at halftime so I thought we would go more at them but I think neither one picked up a foul in the second half. It wouldn't have hurt my feelings to see Vasturia in foul trouble. Like you infer, good things happen when we go inside.

welcome back brother

I totally agree with you. Of course, I just can't let a good opportunity go by without pisssing off someone with one of my dumb comments. So here goes. You know, I was watching Providence beat Villanova at Villanova last weekend. Providence play the 2-3 zone the whole second half. Ed Cooley did a very good job making adjustments in the zone to allow them to win. Ed Cooley seems to be a very good coach with lots of real game experience. I'm just saying maybe when JB hangs up his plaid sports jackets the AD should hire the best possible coach for the job.

I'm the driver of the Ed Cooley bandwagon around these parts; feel free to join!

Seriously, I'm fully a Hopkins supporter (didn't love the results or the contrast with our play when Boeheim returned, but don't think it's worth judging his job borrowing someone else's team). But if SU were to open up the search, Cooley would be on my short list.

Where u been, man?!

All G has to do is pretend in transferred from Lville instead of Duke and we have chance to beat Lville at home. I wonder how our team matches up with Lville if we have a chance. I guess this is something to talk about in the coming weeks. This team if shooting well could probably beat any team. But the Yum center is just as bad as Cameron and the referees always side with the home crowd.
Monster defense. Their guards are always tough ... baller U. It'll be a difficult matchup for us because they pressure, they play tight man and they easily transition from man to zone. They'll be up on our shooters and if one of our guys is lucky enough to get in the lane he'll have to finish over a 7 footer, Mahmoud (who's improved this year).

Last edited:
I'm the driver of the Ed Cooley bandwagon around these parts; feel free to join!

Seriously, I'm fully a Hopkins supporter (didn't love the results or the contrast with our play when Boeheim returned, but don't think it's worth judging his job borrowing someone else's team). But if SU were to open up the search, Cooley would be on my short list.
I've been posting about Cooley since he was in the MAAC doing great things at Fairfield. He's a great recruiter and has been for a long time working under Al Skinner at Boston College. I always pictured him ending up at Yukon but now that he is getting more national recognition he could be in more demand.

I must have missed something. what has Franklin shown to be our point guard of the future?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom