#1 Miami @ Syracuse 1992 | Syracusefan.com

#1 Miami @ Syracuse 1992

cuse309

Ace recruiting beat reporter
This was one of my most memorable games watching Syracuse as I grew up. Big bad #1 Miami came into the dome, and eeked out a victory as we came 3 yards shy of knocking them off. I recall this game being absolutely thrilling in the second half, and the crowd was nuts. I'm looking for any links to video on this game. I can find just about any other memorable game on Syracuse, but for the life of me, I can't find this one. It was on national tv too. What a great team they had that year. Went on to beat Colorado in the Fiesta bowl, and finish #6 in the AP. Boy have times changed.
Link to game article in the NY times.COLLEGE FOOTBALL; Miami, and 3 Yards, Silence Syracuse - New York Times

That is the only time in the Dome I felt like I might cry. The final play was so agonizingly close. The crowd was really rocking that day. I believe that may have been the loudest game I have ever been to but I was overseas in the military for the 87 season. To this day I have never watched a rerun of that game or the 98 Tennessee game.

Still remember DC's first interception. It was by far the loudest the dome has ever been. That game was incredible.

That's what I hope the program will get back too.
If SU had not waited until the second half to start running up the middle - we may have had a different result. Noise levels were off the chart.

SU went into that game ranked #8, and after the loss we were then ranked #6. You youngens read that right. We played so well against a team that people thought was unbeatable that we actually moved up in the polls after a defeat.

Watching video of our last drive might kill me. We wasted so much time. Would've been nice to have one last play from the Miami 3. Oh Lord

I worked for Channel 3 and was "logging" the game for the station and watched the entire second half with Wayne Mahar in the sports room. We were arm in arm on that last drive and both collapsed into each others arms when Gedney fell 2 yards short. Heartbreaking.

I worked for Channel 3 and was "logging" the game for the station and watched the entire second half with Wayne Mahar in the sports room. We were arm in arm on that last drive and both collapsed into each others arms when Gedney fell 2 yards short. Heartbreaking.

An artist's rendering of Marsh and Wayne Mahar in 1992…

brokeback-mountain.jpg

1) We tied running the nearside option against a team full of future NFL players for a half, then started running right at them and blocking them. That and Dan Conley's interception turned the game around.

2) We got the ball with about 5 minutes in our own territory and took so long to get plays in and off that Keith Jackson and Bob Griese in the booth kept wondering why we were taking so much time.

3) Here's the biggie: Marvin Graves pulls a McNabb and loses his lunch after a scrambled in the final minute. The referees offer Pasqualoni an official's time out for a medical player but Coach P declines and instead uses our last time out to try to get graves ready for the next play because he's have to take him out for a play if he used the official time out.

4) So they keep Graves in and run...the near-side option, a play that Graves' back-up Kevin Mason could probably run as well, (and Doug Womack, the best I've ever seen in the option, was still on the squad). It's a play that hadn't worked all day and makes no sense against a last minute defense because the defenders are already spread out to cover passes- an option needs them sucked into the middle of the field. The play, of course, goes no where. Fortunately it winds up out of bounds.

5) DeLeone calls his other favorite play, the tight end throw back. But Chris Gedney doesn't get to the end zone and is covered by a Miami guy who was actually out of position, which put him in Gedney's way. Chris catches the ball but is tackled immediately and the clock runs out because we have no time outs left.

6) We lost 16-10. If we'd won 17-16, we'd be 10-1 and, having been ranked #8 and now beaten the #1 team, might have jumped up far enough to play Alabama for the national championship. I don't think we would have won but we'd at least have had a shot, which the '87 team did not because Miami and Oklahoma were both unbeaten and more highly ranked that year. After that the goal of all SU fans was to get back to that position and have a shot at a national title. But we didn't get it because of all the bungling getting plays in, the bad plays we used and the burning of our last time out before we needed to. It was the beginning of the criticism of Pasqualoni and DeLeone that eventually brought them down.

This game is comparable to the plot from the Bad News Bears where the good guys fall behind, rally and come up a little short but earn respect from having proven themselves.

First half was a mess and we were dominant in the second half. We also got a lot of breaks in the second half. I remember a fumble by one of the RBs that bounced on the ground and right back into his arms. I thought a victory might be destiny.

I also believe the most famous person in the Dome that day was The Rock, Dwayne Johnson, who played for the Hurricanes.

6) We lost 16-10. If we'd won 17-16, we'd be 10-1 and, having been ranked #8 and now beaten the #1 team, might have jumped up far enough to play Alabama for the national championship. I don't think we would have won but we'd at least have had a shot, which the '87 team did not because Miami and Oklahoma were both unbeaten and more highly ranked that year. After that the goal of all SU fans was to get back to that position and have a shot at a national title. But we didn't get it because of all the bungling getting plays in, the bad plays we used and the burning of our last time out before we needed to. It was the beginning of the criticism of Pasqualoni and DeLeone that eventually brought them down.

I remember Beano Cook saying SU would play for the national title if it won that game. He was authoritative back then.

1) We tied running the nearside option against a team full of future NFL players for a half, then started running right at them and blocking them. That and Dan Conley's interception turned the game around.

2) We got the ball with about 5 minutes in our own territory and took so long to get plays in and off that Keith Jackson and Bob Griese in the booth kept wondering why we were taking so much time.

3) Here's the biggie: Marvin Graves pulls a McNabb and loses his lunch after a scrambled in the final minute. The referees offer Pasqualoni an official's time out for a medical player but Coach P declines and instead uses our last time out to try to get graves ready for the next play because he's have to take him out for a play if he used the official time out.

4) So they keep Graves in and run...the near-side option, a play that Graves' back-up Kevin Mason could probably run as well, (and Doug Womack, the best I've ever seen in the option, was still on the squad). It's a play that hadn't worked all day and makes no sense against a last minute defense because the defenders are already spread out to cover passes- an option needs them sucked into the middle of the field. The play, of course, goes no where. Fortunately it winds up out of bounds.

5) DeLeone calls his other favorite play, the tight end throw back. But Chris Gedney doesn't get to the end zone and is covered by a Miami guy who was actually out of position, which put him in Gedney's way. Chris catches the ball but is tackled immediately and the clock runs out because we have no time outs left.

Great post, SWC. A few nitpicks…
-The Conley INT was on Miami's first offensive possession, so it didn't really turn the game at that point.
-It was actually Brent Musburger, not Keith Jackson.
-I think it would have been very difficult for us to jump Florida State, but it's certainly possible.

-The Conley INT was on Miami's first offensive possession, so it didn't really turn the game at that point.
-I think it would have been very difficult for us to jump Florida State, but it's certainly possible.

yes, YES. Especially that last part. Was hoping that one day before I kick we'd get back to that level. With each passing year, the changed college football landscape, etc. I'm ufortunately thinking that isn't going to happen the ship has sailed and I'll wistfully keep looking back at those times as the glory days. :(Oh Lord

The play to Gedney was not a TE throwback play.

The Orange played well - the coaches coached well - and they lost a close game to a great team.

And we went on to win the Fiesta Bowl against Colorado and Kordell Stewart.

By the way, do you know why football coaches run the so-called "near side" option?

It was Musburger and Vermeil

Wow, I thought I was the only fan who vividly recalled this great game. Even in a loss, it was one of my most memorable experiences watching sports. By the way, I'm so glad to be a member on this board. I usually slum it over there on syracuse.com and have to wade through all the ridiculous posts and comments by idiots who probably never even heard of Kevin Mason, or Doug Womack, or think Chris Gedney is just some guy in the athletic department. Finally some really intelligent responses and posts.
But, back to my original question...does anyone have any video of this game. Youtube turns up nothing. Why do you suppose it is so hard to find video on this?

to SWC's post, I don't know if SU jumps enough teams even after beating #1 as a #8 team. Assuming Alabama moves up to #1 here are the other teams in between: Florida St. (9-1), Texas A&M (10-0), Washington (9-1), Michigan (8-0-2), and Notre Dame (8-1-1). The next week Washington was the only team that lost and Michigan got another freaking tie. That was the first year of the SEC title game, so everyone's season was done besides Florida and Alabama after that. I agree with the poster above that SU doesn't jump both FSU and Texas A&M to get in the Bowl Alliance title game.

Here's the AP polls the week before and after the SU-Miami game

http://www.databasefootball.com/College/polls/appoll.htm?PollID=50

http://www.databasefootball.com/College/polls/appoll.htm?PollID=51

This was my freshman year. Great year to be on the hill...for football (hoops probation, but I got to see Hop and McNasty play). Heck lax won the chip that year too. I asked every one of my high school friends that were going to an opponent school if they wanted to put a wager on the game. Only one taker. I owed him a case of Killian's Irish Red after OSU beat us pretty good. Herbie was OK, but the credit goes to Robert Smith coming out of retirement for that game. With that on the resume, we weren't getting to the championship.

Fun season. Texas home opener win on an option TD pass to Graves. Place went nuts and the student corner broke the rail in the crush and fell on him. Most fun game may have been Pitt. Kevin Mitchell at nose tackle put out VanPelt. Curtis Razor Martin wasn't enough, and Cuse wins the game. I was friendly with Mel Tuten and Shelton Prescott. They hated DeLeone's lateral run game and couldn't understand why we didn't run more north-south with our line and Big Al Wooten. David Walker was a great interior runner. I guess that team just had too much speed for George D. to ignore. Dar Dar, Ismail, Tebucky Jones, Shelby Hill, Terry Richardson. Tough to complain about that team.

Graves was sacked a ton of times in the first half, and their DL was so dominant that Vermeil opined that the only thing he could think of was to have the OL line up in some special way, where (I think) the center stood at a 45-degree angle or something, and then we come out in the second half and there it is, exactly as Vermeil said.

Heisman winner Torretta hadn't thrown an interception in about 10 million passes that season, and Conley intercepted him near the goal line on their first drive. We ended up picking him 3 times that game, a week after picking BC's Foley 3 times. We also picked Kordell Stewart 3 times in the Fiesta.

Warren Sapp might have won the game for them. On our penultimate drive, we were near the red zone, and Graves had Gedney open in the end zone. He turned to throw it, and an instant before he threw, Sapp burst through and drilled him. The ball went almost straight up, and came down in Rohan Marley's arms for the INT. One of the Miami players afterward said that he had an "oh " moment when Graves was getting ready to throw because he saw Gedney was open, and that was likely the game.

Imagine if we'd had time to run one more play at the end. Which we should have had, because our TD came later than it should have. Our FB (Wooten?) plowed down to the goal line, and it looked like he got in. Refs said no, and we had to run more clock getting into the end zone.

Most intense football game I have ever seen that involved us. That Miami team had 9 players drafted that year, including their entire starting LB group - Darrin Smith, Michael Barrow, and Jesse Armstead. And we were pushing them methodically down the field all 4th Q.

EDIT: talk about "those were the days" - the previous week we had the same broadcast team, Musberger/Vermeil, calling our game @BC, who was ranked in the top 25. They were looking forward to the Miami game - the #1 team in the country at the time - and Musberger asked if we had the horses to run with them. Vermeil said yes, emphatically.

Last edited:

TE Throwback??? This is one of the most memorable passes in SU history. TE over the middle, stopped at the 3 yard line.

I don't think we started using the TE throwback until McNabb. First time I ever recall seeing it was at BC in 1996.

There was an old wives tale at the time that had Graves thrown left to Shelby Hill, it would have been a TD. That he had beaten his corner and that the safety was cheating to Gedney. I could never prove that, but I remember when it was brought up back then it used to eat me up.

I think the whole student section sat in the bleachers for at least 30 minutes after that game ended. It was a punch in the gut.

What I remember about that game, It was one of the two most hyped games at the dome. ( PSU 87 ) It was the loudest stadium I have ever been in after My 45 years or so of following sports and I travel to many places. there may be stadiums louder, but not by much. You could scream at the top of your lungs and not hear yourself.

Last edited: