#1 Miami @ Syracuse 1992 | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

#1 Miami @ Syracuse 1992

Was Orgeron there? My roommate played D-line as a walk on for SU and later met Dwayne Johnson. Two strangers from rival schools bonded over Ed Orgeron.

Orgeron was here from 1995-97.

Any video of this game. Marvin graves was such a great and underrated player for su

This thread revealed an interesting parallel trajectory between SU and West Virginia. Consider:
  • In 1987, SU was in the hunt for the national title (albeit outside shot) when West Virginia almost derails the dream. You can argue Nehlen blew the game by not running the clock down.
  • Fast forward to 1992 - SU is methodically knocking off opponents to set up a showdown with #1 Miami at the end of the season. Then comes a trip to Morgantown and a series of strange developments allow SU to steal the victory again. Not going to debate the particulars, but had SU lost this game, the Miami showdown loses its national profile.
  • SU's undefeated season set the stage for a great recruiting cycle that peaked when those freshman became upperclassmen in 1991-2.
  • In both 1987 and 1992, SU caught West Virginia just before they were ascending toward their own respective peaks. In both cases, the following season would see the Mountaineers aim for a national title.
  • For both programs, their undefeated regular seasons would propel them to another run at greatness 5 years later.

A win over those canes would have been thrilling beyond measure- but the general consensus is that we still would not vaulted into the title game. Which brings me to...

What was the deal vs Ohio state that season? Not sure that it qualifies as a What game, but it has that aroma.

A win over those canes would have been thrilling beyond measure- but the general consensus is that we still would not vaulted into the title game. Which brings me to...

What was the deal vs Ohio state that season? Not sure that it qualifies as a What game, but it has that aroma.

After passing them crazy in the bowl game the previous year, we ran the near-side option all day and they were waiting for it with open arms.

After passing them crazy in the bowl game the previous year, we ran the near-side option all day and they were waiting for it with open arms.

But Robert Smith has said it was the loudest place he has ever played.

CusefanATL said:

Wait, how would he know? When did The Cure play in the Dome?

Any video of this game. Marvin graves was such a great and underrated player for su
That's why I started this thread. I can't believe how hard it is to find highlights of this classic, let alone the whole game. I figured somebody would have put it on youtube by now.

His own fans did their part. Outside of maybe Tennessee, the Ohio State crowd from 1992 was the loudest away crowd I can recall in the Dome.

I wasn't able to attend the Penn State hostile takeover in 2008.

His own fans did their part. Outside of maybe Tennessee, the Ohio State crowd from 1992 was the loudest away crowd I can recall in the Dome.

I wasn't able to attend the Penn State hostile takeover in 2008.
ohio st in 92 was quite the rude awakening for youngUEO. up till then, i thought the Dome was give or take 49500 Syracuse fans and 500 of the enemy. ped st in 89 maybe brought a few thousand, but nothing to cry over...for theyre a (sic) rival and right down the road and we had a big crowd there in 88 (myself included)...but OSU in 92 was off the charts. we were in the top 10 and just beat texas and i had visions of #1 dancing in my head.

they brought half of columbus, whipped up on us something good...then invaded our bars.

depressing as all hell.

KaiserUEO said:
ohio st in 92 was quite the rude awakening for youngUEO. up till then, i thought the Dome was give or take 49500 Syracuse fans and 500 of the enemy. ped st in 89 maybe brought a few thousand, but nothing to cry over...for theyre a (sic) rival and right down the road and we had a big crowd there in 88 (myself included)...but OSU in 92 was off the charts. we were in the top 10 and just beat texas and i had visions of #1 dancing in my head. they brought half of columbus, whipped up on us something good...then invaded our bars. depressing as all hell.

And so began your slink into a lifelong Syracuse-related funk. Come back to the light, K. It's a happy place. It's not your fault. It's not your fault.

And so began your slink into a lifelong Syracuse-related funk. Come back to the light, K. It's a happy place. It's not your fault. It's not your fault.
id say the funk really began during the 2nd half of the michigan game in 1999 and offically set in after the BC loss...

not being #1 is not a funk maker, that happened a few times after 1992 as well.

93 sucked, but still fun at 6-4-1

94 made a run at the top 10 at 6-1...then miami comes in and the wheels fall off. no bowl at 7-4, crushing, but we get up.

95 preseason ranked. in and out most of the year, finish #19. all good.

96 horrible start, but rolling till miami shows up again. finish ranked #21. happy happy

97 preseason #17, pound wisky & up to 13, then 3 Ls...(this is where we lose milly & chip to coachpmustgo) then 8 Ws to #14 then L Fiesta & #21. is that fog?

98 dont need to rehash this one, but it was the Year of UEO, hit 10 of 12 games. finished #25. happy place getting smokey, coughing now.

99 smoke = fire and make my funk the P-funk and i want my funk uncut...

mind you i had season tickets from '88 till 1 year later in '00 & saw em 3x in 01. but i want the bomb, i want the P-funk, dont want my funk stepped on.

but as you can see, im still here 16 years later...wanting & expecting nothing but the best for the Orange...

Last edited:
ohio st in 92 was quite the rude awakening for youngUEO. up till then, i thought the Dome was give or take 49500 Syracuse fans and 500 of the enemy. ped st in 89 maybe brought a few thousand, but nothing to cry over...for theyre a (sic) rival and right down the road and we had a big crowd there in 88 (myself included)...but OSU in 92 was off the charts. we were in the top 10 and just beat texas and i had visions of #1 dancing in my head.

they brought half of columbus, whipped up on us something good...then invaded our bars.

depressing as all hell.
That Ohio State team beat us up physically. They were physical and fast as hell.

KaiserUEO said:
id say the funk really began during the 2nd half of the michigan game in 1999 and offically set in after the BC loss... not being #1 is not a funk maker, that happened a few times after 1992 as well. 93 sucked, but still fun at 6-4-1 94 made a run at the top 10 at 6-1...then miami comes in and the wheels fall off. no bowl at 7-4, crushing, but we get up. 95 preseason ranked. in and out most of the year, finish #19. all good. 96 horrible start, but rolling till miami shows up again. finish ranked #21. happy happy 97 preseason #17, pound wisky & up to 13, then 3 Ls...(this is where we lose milly & chip to coachpmustgo) then 8 Ws to #14 then L Fiesta & #21. is that fog? 98 dont need to rehash this one, but it was the Year of UEO, hit 10 of 12 games. finished #25. happy place getting smokey, coughing now. 99 make my funk the P-funk and i want my funk uncut... mind you i had season tickets from '88 till 1 year later in '00 & saw em 3x in 01. but i want the bomb, i want the P-funk, dont want my funk stepped on. but as you can see, im still here 16 years later...wanting & expecting nothing but the best for the Orange...

I'd say your posts may exhibit more "wanting" than "expecting" - and that's where our disagreements originate.

KaiserUEO said:
id say the funk really began during the 2nd half of the michigan game in 1999 and offically set in after the BC loss... not being #1 is not a funk maker, that happened a few times after 1992 as well. 93 sucked, but still fun at 6-4-1 94 made a run at the top 10 at 6-1...then miami comes in and the wheels fall off. no bowl at 7-4, crushing, but we get up. 95 preseason ranked. in and out most of the year, finish #19. all good. 96 horrible start, but rolling till miami shows up again. finish ranked #21. happy happy 97 preseason #17, pound wisky & up to 13, then 3 Ls...(this is where we lose milly & chip to coachpmustgo) then 8 Ws to #14 then L Fiesta & #21. is that fog? 98 dont need to rehash this one, but it was the Year of UEO, hit 10 of 12 games. finished #25. happy place getting smokey, coughing now. 99 make my funk the P-funk and i want my funk uncut... mind you i had season tickets from '88 till 1 year later in '00 & saw em 3x in 01. but i want the bomb, i want the P-funk, dont want my funk stepped on. but as you can see, im still here 16 years later...wanting & expecting nothing but the best for the Orange...

For the record, I never officially boarded the good ship coachpmustgo until the Rutgers loss in 1999.

Didn't the Ohio State fans organize a pre game parade down Marshall Street? They were nuts. Will never forget at halftime they waited until we were done slinking off the field, down 17-6. Lined up in two lines and slowly marched off the field to their fans blowing the roof off the Dome.

I'd say your posts may exhibit more "wanting" than "expecting" - and that's where our disagreements originate.
well, there is no reason to 'expect' anything right now.

and the fact that in year 7 of this 'rebuild', i cant 'expect' a winning season and a bowl game...is certainly a Fn problem.

so yeah, theres a divide there.

For the record, I never officially boarded the good ship coachpmustgo until the Rutgers loss in 1999.

Didn't the Ohio State fans organize a pre game parade down Marshall Street? They were nuts. Will never forget at halftime they waited until we were done slinking off the field, down 17-6. Lined up in two lines and slowly marched off the field to their fans blowing the roof off the Dome.
that was frightening.

and had forgotten it, but i had never heard such a thing before. it got myself and others leaving the beer line to run back to the tunnel to see just What was going on.

KaiserUEO said:
well, there is no reason to 'expect' anything right now. and the fact that in year 7 of this 'rebuild', i cant 'expect' a winning season and a bowl game...is certainly a Fn problem. so yeah, theres a divide there.

Point is you expect to lose and your posts reflect that. That's your prerogative, but you're constantly on me for expecting things to go well. Can't have it both ways.

Point is you expect to lose and your posts reflect that. That's your prerogative, but you're constantly on me for expecting things to go well. Can't have it both ways.
i think you should just drop the word 'expect' from your vernacular, its not very useful on Syracusefan.com.

and once you realize you are reading transcript of musings in a bar and not a book where you are required to read the text as gospel, you will be a much happier person and will enjoy your time here much more.

KaiserUEO said:
ohio st in 92 was quite the rude awakening for youngUEO. up till then, i thought the Dome was give or take 49500 Syracuse fans and 500 of the enemy. ped st in 89 maybe brought a few thousand, but nothing to cry over...for theyre a (sic) rival and right down the road and we had a big crowd there in 88 (myself included)...but OSU in 92 was off the charts. we were in the top 10 and just beat texas and i had visions of #1 dancing in my head. they brought half of columbus, whipped up on us something good...then invaded our bars. depressing as all hell.

OSU may have been the loudest away crowd, but for sheer numbers I always felt Tennessee brought the most fans.

KaiserUEO said:
i think you should just drop the word 'expect' from your vernacular, its not very useful on Syracusefan.com. and once you realize you are reading transcript of musings in a bar and not a book where you are required to read the text as gospel, you will be a much happier person and will enjoy your time here much more.

I'm happy as can be brother.

I think the fan base is generally depressed about the state of the program and while I agree that some of that is justified - I find it tiring. And I think it becomes ingrained and perpetuates itself.

Much like when Marrone took over and discovered one of the biggest hurdles was the team culture (of losing, apathy, etc).

Everyone 'expects' something to happen this year. We get to choose what that looks like.

---

Anyways - I'll leave ya be. Topics worn out. Here's to the next season - hope it exceeds both of our expectations by a mile

OSU may have been the loudest away crowd, but for sheer numbers I always felt Tennessee brought the most fans.
Close for sure.

Difference was, Tennessee was forced to buy them all over the dome, they had the little section of 500-1000 and another 9k sitting all over gen pop. Ohio St must've called the dome and asked for 10k tix together and some clerk obliged and gave them the whole corner.

That Ohio State team beat us up physically. They were physical and fast as hell.
Haven't looked it up but OSU didn't exactly set the world on fire in 1992. We dominated Miami in the 2nd half by being physical. Did Deleone just have a poor game plan for the Buckeyes?