101 wins? | Syracusefan.com

101 wins?

jordville

Hall of Fame
With SU hoops still on hold and another current thread going about a JB succession plan, I'm curious what others think about the following...
Screenshot_20201230-171105_Chrome.jpg

When will JB get his 101 wins back?

Does he have to retire or pass for the NCAA to do the right thing?

We all know the SU sanctions were not remotely close to what other schools that have done more wrong received, if anything.

Last edited:
The NCAA turns the knife with this on their website...

"Only one (coach) has ever passed the millennium mark — Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski, who has 1,132 wins in 44 seasons. That’s an average of 25.7 wins, every year, for more than four decades."

With SU hoops still on hold and another current thread going about a JB succession plan, I'm curious what others think about the following...
View attachment 193735

We all know the SU sanctions were not been remotely close to what other schools that have done more wrong received, if anything.
never

those games were played with ineligible players; that cannot be undone

View attachment 193735

We all know the SU sanctions were not remotely close to what other schools that have done more wrong received, if anything.
It doesn’t matter.

never

those games were played with ineligible players; that cannot be undone
I disagree with the definition you are using for ineligible.

Forfeiting games is a huge penalty. It should be used when a team wins games playing against opponents on an uneven playing field. This includes those like playing with players given money to attend a school. Playing with players whose parents were given jobs in exchange for coming to the school. Allowing players to play in games where the school knew the players were taking performance enhancing drugs. Allowing players to enroll and play who cheated on their college boards, or used a bogus HS transcript to become eligible. Allowing athletes to compete in games while they are academically eligible.

In short, things that give schools a competitive advantage over other schools.

I do not consider players who tested positive for non-performance enhancing drugs (this has never affected NCAA eligibility) to be ineligible. The NCAA says those players were ineligible because SU had a drug policy to notify the guardians of players who failed the drug policy. SU sometimes did not do that. There was absolutely no competitive advantage gained here. The behavior the players engaged in was and remains common. There was no competitive advantage gained. Saying the players were ineligible and the games should be forfeited is not reasonable and is nonsensical.

This is a situation where the SUAD and coaches sometimes did not follow internal procedures. It has nothing to do with the NCAA. The NCAA should focus on enforcing their rules; not interfere with and severely penalize schools for not always following internally set rules that regard minor, almost irrelevant things athletes do everywhere with no penalty. I have no problem with the NCAA noting internal procedures were not followed. I have no problem with fining the coach, the AD; whoever was responsible. But you have to fit the punishment to the crime. You have to have some sense of consistency.

As i remember it, that was the biggest violation.
What else did the NCAA object to?

The NCAA complained that a couple of players got paid $50 to ref games or teach classes at a YMCA. I think the said the might have been an instance or two where the YMCA could not prove the player showed up and did what they were paid to do. Maybe that happened. Maybe not. Again, if players were paid for nothing, that is not good and the NCAA should write it up as a finding, and whoever is responsible for oversight on players working during the off-season hound be written up and probably fined. The NCAA apparently also objected to players getting $50 to drive to and from Oneida and to spend 90-120 minutes working. I don’t see that as a major violation. I am not sure there is any violation here. Taking out money for gas, how much did the players make per hour? $15-$20? We are talking about a couple of players making maybe a hundred or $150 dollars here. Again, I don’t see this as a competitive advantage and I am confident the NCAA would find similar or worse things happening at any other NCAA school. No one came to Syracuse to play basketball so they could make $50 dollars a couple of times an a YMCA driving 30 miles each way.

There might have been other things but the only other one I remember off the top of my head was the Fab Melo saga. As I remember it, they thought a tutor wrote a paper for him. This was strongly disputed and i don’t think the NCAA had proof. I don’t know what happened here. SU cooperated with the NCAA fully throughout the investigation and self reported found almost every violation. Not exactly a smoking gun here.

I think the biggest issue the NCAA had was with Dr Gross assembling a ’ dream team’ designed to find ways to deceive the NCAA and keep Fab eligible. That was really bad behavior that i think should have made Dr Gross ineligible to work at an NCAA institution for 5 years. Had he been successful and had Fab played the spring semester when he wa ineligible, yes, i have no issues having those games be ruled forfeits. I am not sure but I think SU did let Fab play a couple games after the fall semester ended, and Fab failed his courses so spectacularly that he immediately became ineligible. Those games should be considered forfeits. SU did play those games with an ineligible player and did gain an unfair competitive advantage.

That is how i see things...

Last edited:
I disagree with definition you are using for ineligible.

Forfeiting games is a huge penalty. It should be used when a team wins games playing against opponents on an uneven playing field. This includes those like playing with players given money to attend a school. Playing with players whose parents were given jobs in exchange for coming to the school. Allowing players to play in games where the school knew the players were taking performance enhancing drugs. Allowing players to enroll and play who cheated on their college boards, or used a bogus HS transcript to become eligible. Allowing athletes to compete in games while they are academically eligible.

I do not consider players who tested positive for non-performance enhancing drugs (this has never affected NCAA eligibility) to be ineligible. The NCAA says those players were ineligible because SU had a drug policy to notify the guardians of players who failed the drug policy. SU sometimes did not do that. There was absolutely no competitive advantage gained here. The behavior the players engaged in was and remains common. There was no competitive advantage gained. Saying the players were ineligible and the games should be forfeited is not reasonable and is nonsensical.

This is a situation where the SUAD and coaches sometimes did not follow internal procedures. It has nothing to do with the NCAA. The NCAA should focus on enforcing their rules; not interfere with and severely penalize schools for not always following internally set rules that regard minor, almost irrelevant things athletes do everywhere with no penalty. I have no problem with the NCAA noting internal procedures were not followed. I have no problem with fining the coach, the AD; whoever was responsible. But you have to fit the punishment to the crime. You have to have some sense of consistency.

The NCAA complained that a couple of players got paid $50 to ref games or teach classes at a YMCA. I think the said the might have been an instance or two where the YMCA could not prove the player showed up and did what they were paid to do. Maybe that happened. Maybe not. Again, if players were paid for nothing, that is not good and the NCAA should write it up as a finding, and whoever is responsible for oversight on players working during the off-season hound be written up and probably fined. The NCAA apparently also objected to players getting $50 to drive to and from Oneida and to spend 90-120 minutes working. I don’t see that as a major violation. I am not sure there is any violation here. Taking out money for gas, how much did the players make per hour? $15-$20? We are talking about a couple of players making maybe a hundred or $150 dollars here. Again, I don’t see this as a competitive advantage and I am confident the NCAA would find similar or worse things happening at any other NCAA school. No one came to Syracuse to play basketball so they could make $50 dollars a couple of times an a YMCA driving 30 miles each way.

There might have been other things but the only other one I remember off the top of my head was the Fab Melo saga. As I remember it, they thought a tutor wrote a paper for him. This was strongly disputed and i don’t think the NCAA had proof. I don’t know what happened here. SU cooperated with the NCAA fully throughout the investigation and self reported found almost every violation. Not exactly a smoking gun here.

I think the biggest issue the NCAA had was with Dr Gross assembling a ’ dream team’ designed to find ways to deceive the NCAA and keep Fab eligible. That was really bad behavior that i think should have made Dr Gross ineligible to work at an NCAA institution for 5 years. Had he been successful and had Fab played the spring semester when he wa ineligible, yes, i have no issues having those games be ruled forfeits. I am not sure but I think SU did let Fab play a couple games after the fall semester ended, and Fab failed his courses so spectacularly that he immediately became ineligible. Those games should be considered forfeits. SU did play those games with an ineligible player and did gain an unfair competitive advantage.

a lot of us see it the way you do . . .

but the unalterable fact is that the syracuse athletic department defined a number of players as ineligible by their own stupid, virtue signaling rule. and then played them anyway when gross thought he could make up a secret rule that obviated the official one. it was a terrible own-goal, but you cannot play ineligible players.

i think the only way those wins go back on the official record is by the p5 leaving the ncaa or with a radical reform of the ncaa itself.

The NCAA is a dinosaur and its meteor is coming. JB will be here to witness it because he will, at bare minimum, be a brain in a jar coaching Syracuse in 100 years
from your lips to god's ears
QN8H.gif

View attachment 193735

JB has 1047 victories. He’s less than 100 behind Coach K. End of story. Screw the NCAA.

but the unalterable fact is that the syracuse athletic department defined a number of players as ineligible by their own stupid, virtue signaling rule. and then played them anyway when gross thought he could make up a secret rule that obviated the official one. it was a terrible own-goal, but you cannot play ineligible players.

i think the only way those wins go back on the official record is by the p5 leaving the ncaa or with a radical reform of the ncaa itself.
The players were not ruled ineligible by the university. The were ruled in ineligible after the fact, years later, by the NCAA. Also, the drug policy “violations” started years before Gross was ever on the job. Jake Crouthamel was the AD when those positive marijuana tests happened, and he and JB didn’t think they needed to follow parts of the policy because the policy itself was inconsistent and confusing (it wasn’t an NCAA policy, it was the athletic department’s own policy, which they shouldn’t have ever implemented).

Last edited:
The players were not ruled ineligible by the university. The were ruled in ineligible after the fact, years later, by the NCAA. Also, the drug policy “violations” started years before Gross was ever on the job. Jake Crouthamel was the AD when those positive marijuana tests happened, and he and JB didn’t think they needed to follow the policy (it wasn’t an NCAA policy, it was the athletic department’s own policy, which they shouldn’t have ever implemented).
it was discovered after the fact, but the written university policy was that they were ineligible until jb contacted their parents.

suad made them ineligible and nothing can undo that

I disagree with definition you are using for ineligible.

Moral of the story: Gross was awful

and if you’re going to, as a tutor, write someone else’s paper, figure out how to anonymize the word doc properties, including author. If I recall, that was the proof and it’s incredibly easy to avoid. Meta data - always trips up the dumb criminals.

My understanding was that parents typically didn’t care about knowing if their adult child smoked some weed, so the athletic department just stopped making those calls. It wasn’t so much that Gross created a secret rule to get around calling parents. The parents tended to respond with, “So? Who cares? I’m smoking a fatty as we speak” when they got the calls (I assume). It was a formality, not a subversion of the rules to get players back on the court. There’s no scenario where the parents would be called and the player wouldn’t be immediately eligible, so Syracuse never played a player who wouldn’t have played if things were done “right.”

It’s also my understanding that this ‘policy’ of not calling parents was universal, not selectively applied to basketball and football. I don’t know the exact language of the NCAA’s rule on this, but if there is a written policy that’s updated across the board by a non-written policy, why would the written policy automatically be the one that has to be followed? If you have the leeway to have or not have the rule in the first place, it stands to logic and reason that you have the leeway to update the rule verbally, or in writing, or by farting into the wind.

The dubious conclusion that the NCAA seemed to reach is that because the parents weren’t called, that player was ineligible for every game from that moment forward. That’s an overly rigid interpretation and conclusion for a rule that wasn’t required to exist in the first place, regardless of the language of the rule.

This was like an officer putting you in jail for reckless driving because you were going 2 mph over the speed limit and your tire touched the yellow line. Technically, you broke some traffic laws but you probably shouldn’t go to jail for it. Technically, parents should have been called but it shouldn’t have cost us every game that player played in for the rest of his career.

The NCAA wanted to put the screws to Syracuse to send a message and because we had a “culture of noncompliance” (lol) going back to the 90’s when kids at basketball camp got shoes and shirts.

Last edited by a moderator:

So when UNC set up a whole program on somewhat fictitious courses and the NCAA refused to do anything because that was an institutional/academic problem not an "athletic" department , that is different than failing to report to parents a failed drug test?

My understanding was that parents typically didn’t care about knowing if their adult child smoked some weed, so the athletic department just stopped making those calls. It wasn’t so much that Gross created a secret rule to get around calling parents. The parents tended to respond with, “So? Who cares? I’m smoking a fatty as we speak” when they got the calls (I assume). It was a formality, not a subversion of the rules to get players back on the court. There’s no scenario where the parents would be called and the player wouldn’t be immediately eligible, so Syracuse never played a player who wouldn’t have played if things were done “right.”

It’s also my understanding that this ‘policy’ of not calling parents was universal, not selectively applied to basketball and football. I don’t know the exact language of the NCAA’s rule on this, but if there is a written policy that’s updated across the board by a non-written policy, why would the written policy automatically be the one that has to be followed? If you have the leeway to have or not have the rule in the first place, it stands to logic and reason that you have the leeway to update the rule verbally, or in writing, or by farting into the wind.

The dubious conclusion that the NCAA seemed to reach is that because the parents weren’t called, that player was ineligible for every game from that moment forward. That’s an overly rigid interpretation and conclusion for a rule that wasn’t required to exist in the first place, regardless of the language of the rule.

This was like an officer putting you in jail for reckless driving because you were going 2 mph over the speed limit and your tire touched the yellow line. Technically, you broke some traffic laws but you probably shouldn’t go to jail for it. Technically, parents should have been called but it shouldn’t have cost us every game that player played in for the rest of his career.

The NCAA wanted to put the screws to Syracuse to send a message and because we had a “culture of noncompliance” (lol) going back to the 90’s when kids at basketball camp got shoes and shirts.
it wasn't "the ncaa's conclusion," it was the official, written policy of the syracuse athletic department.
no amount of foot stomping or garment rending can get around the fact that syracuse university defined players as ineligible for participation and then played them anyway.

it was a self-inflicted wound, i'm not happy about it, nobody is, but pretending it didn't actually happen is nutso

it wasn't "the ncaa's conclusion," it was the official, written policy of the syracuse athletic department.
no amount of foot stomping or garment rending can get around the fact that syracuse university defined players as ineligible for participation and then played them anyway.

it was a self-inflicted wound, i'm not happy about it, nobody is, but pretending it didn't actually happen is nutso

Not pretending it didn’t happen. Just noting that arbitrary rules that don’t have to exist should be subject to the same level of nonchalance when being updated. A written rule like this should be able to be updated by smearing a turd on the wall. It’s basically the same thing.

NCAA: what does the written policy state?
SU: players are ineligible if we don’t call mom.
NCAA: were there any superseding policies?
SU: yeah, we haven’t called mom for a decade because mom doesn’t care.
NCAA: would players have ever remained ineligible in any conceivable scenario where mom was called?
SU: No, obviously.
NCAA: ok, we’re not going to dock any wins because a policy was in place and was being followed.

That’s how that conversation should have gone. This is silly.

Regardless, the moral of the story is that you should never ever ever self-report violations. That’s the message the NCAA sent.

Are drug tests subject to HIPAA regulations? It is a medical test, no? If that’s the case, would it not be a HIPAA violation to share an adult’s drug test results with another person? I’m assuming players don’t sign a form that allows their medical records to be shared freely. Maybe they do, though.

If it’s the case that HIPAA covers this, SU could/should have argued that the written policy violated federal law and was therefore null and void.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom