14-5 (5-1) | Syracusefan.com

14-5 (5-1)

I share the enthusiasm but the record of the teams Cuse has beaten is abysmal, excluding Duke. Still, could go 4-1 in next 5 and there is an opportunity for some good wins after that

5 more which includes another marquee win should be a lock. 5 more with no additional “big” win should still be good but it’ll be closer.

If we enter Selection Sunday with 19 overall and 9 ACC wins (assuming our remaining wins are the BC/Wake types) we will be sweating once again

I share the enthusiasm but the record of the teams Cuse has beaten is abysmal, excluding Duke. Still, could go 4-1 in next 5 and there is an opportunity for some good wins after that
Going by Ken Pom we have 6 top 85 wins including wins vs #3, #40 and #70 all on the road. To have all that before February puts us in the drivers seat for a bid.

However unlike years past, we have bad losses; 4 of our 5 losses are outside the top 50 and our worst is #102. But the committee has preached that good wins outweigh bad losses.

If we end the year and our worst loss is ODU or UConn, we will be in good shape

Going by Ken Pom we have 6 top 85 wins including wins vs #3, #40 and #70 all on the road. To have all that before February puts us in the drivers seat for a bid.

However unlike years past, we have bad losses; 4 of our 5 losses are outside the top 50 and our worst is #102. But the committee has preached that good wins outweigh bad losses.

Just curious, would any loss in the ACC be considered worse? Not sure what the matrix says on the bottom feeders of the league.

Just curious, would any loss in the ACC be considered worse? Not sure what the matrix says on the bottom feeders of the league.
Right now BC is 112 and ODU is 102, but as the season goes on I suspect BC will pass them. Wake is 161, that would be our worse loss by far so we need to avoid that

With the strength of the ACC we have plenty of chances for 1 more big win. We have 4 games left vs teams between #1 - #11 and 5 between #16 - #66

Is it fair to say that SU needs five more wins to lock down a tournament bid? Six wins?

This reminds me a season that SU did not make the NCAA tournament even it finished one game above 0.500 or just 0.500 on Big East conference play. The critics said Syracuse only had one notable win over Missouri which was unranked. Just like this year we have one good OOC win over Ohio State. Does anybody remember which year it was?

Right now BC is 112 and ODU is 102, but as the season goes on I suspect BC will pass them. Wake is 161, that would be our worse loss by far so we need to avoid that

With the strength of the ACC we have plenty of chances for 1 more big win. We have 4 games left vs teams between #1 - #11 and 5 between #16 - #66
Thanks for the info!

Huh I thought "bad losses" were more like in the 150-plus range?

None of our current losses are outside the top 100 in the NET rankings too, though a couple are close

UCONN - 86
ODU - 85
Oregon - 67
Buffalo - 23

Home Losses to a team that is below NET75 is a considered a bad loss (GT, ODU). (Road Loss is above NET135).

One problem is the Ohio State win is losing almost all its shine. They are 12-6, including 2-5 in the conference. One the flip slide, some ACC teams are looking better than we may have thought (NC State, Louisville). If we can win a handful against ranked ACC teams, especially on the road, that should do the trick.

One problem is the Ohio State win is losing almost all its shine. They are 12-6, including 2-5 in the conference. One the flip slide, some ACC teams are looking better than we may have thought (NC State, Louisville). If we can win a handful against ranked ACC teams, especially on the road, that should do the trick.
As of now OSU is 40 in Ken Pom. If they stay around .500 in B10 they should stay in the top 50. A top 50 road win is an “A” game just like a top 25 home win is

The Louisville and NC State games are going to be big if we stub our toe somewhere else.

Give the staff credit they have the team playing well.
We are going to make the tournament.
If we hit shots we can beat anyone.

20 and above is a lock, imo. Thanks to big road wins. Always the focus, road wins. No one will have a better win than us.

This, if we can pick up another big road win to add to the Duke, ND and OSU (looking less stellar now) wins that would be close to putting us in near lock status assuming no end of season meltdown. Winning Sat would be massive for tourney purposes.

ODU is #1 right now in the Conf USA standings which hopefully they can keep up throughout the season. If they can win the auto birth in that conference it would go along way in making that loss look better. UB staying a top 25 would help as well. The UConn and Oregon losses are going to be the ones that drag us down I think. That UConn one especially. G-Tech is what it is, hopefully they can not totally collapse and make a somewhat respectable loss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom