Class of 2015 - 17 Commits? | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 17 Commits?

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
Syracuse Football‏@syrfootball 1m
Scott Shafer kicks off 'celebrity week' on @espncny now. He says Syracuse has 17 committed players.

Stephen Bailey‏@Stephen_Bailey1 4m
Shafer also said the team has 17 players committed for Class of 2015. Blair was thought to be No. 15. Interesting...

He must know something we don't know. ;)

Either one of those backers who just visited and Ellison would be my guess.

I think they need to back of the gas pedal a little and go for a few of the remaining big fish in Pickard, Davis, Kelly etc.

Either one of those backers who just visited and Ellison would be my guess.

I think they need to back of the gas pedal a little and go for a few of the remaining big fish in Pickard, Davis, Kelly etc.

We'll take the full 25 - which would mean we still have plenty of room for a couple of kids who are waiting to decide.

I think we keep majority if not all of the guys committed now, but it wouldn't shock me to see a kid like Robinson or Levine go somewhere bigger. Would hate for it to happen but that's the nature of the beast unfortunately.

I told you there is a silent commit plus the 16 you know of. The staff I spoke with all feel the kids they got commits from will be there to stay. I spoke with almost all the coaches and would tell them some of the recruits I liked and end by saying now you just have to keep em...they all seemed confident

We'll take the full 25 - which would mean we still have plenty of room for a couple of kids who are waiting to decide.

I think we keep majority if not all of the guys committed now, but it wouldn't shock me to see a kid like Robinson or Levine go somewhere bigger. Would hate for it to happen but that's the nature of the beast unfortunately.
is it 25? how many kids graduated? I thought I heard the coach say they had 18 to use to get to the 85. not counting the 2 on medical scholarships how many are in use? I know alot of colleges wont use all available in case a know commodity wants to transfer out or in case a last minute 5 star comes calling

i kinda forgot about this one but lamar dawson is one of the 17 for the 2015 class

is it 25? how many kids graduated? I thought I heard the coach say they had 18 to use to get to the 85. not counting the 2 on medical scholarships how many are in use? I know alot of colleges wont use all available in case a know commodity wants to transfer out or in case a last minute 5 star comes calling

Assuming that we'll be at the full 85 for 2014-15 ... we have at least 20 Seniors graduating. There's always a few underclassmen who take their degrees or transfer.

Right now we have 15 "known" commits, plus Dawson enrolling in January.

In the event that one of the frosh doesn't quality and has to prep, he may carry over as well.

You might have more inside info than us. I think we had 2 transfers and we may also have a slot for January enrollees if someone didn't qualify last year that may not be public info yet. The math is always tough to keep track of. I try to let the staff figure it out and not worry, knowing they will make it work and still take 100% care of all their players future, current and former which I am always proud of as a fan.

You might have more inside info than us. I think we had 2 transfers and we may also have a slot for January enrollees if someone didn't qualify last year that may not be public info yet. The math is always tough to keep track of. I try to let the staff figure it out and not worry, knowing they will make it work and still take 100% care of all their players future, current and former which I am always proud of as a fan.

By my count ... if everyone returns from last year's team, and everyone qualifies ... we're at 88 scholarship players for 2014-15.

I'm counting both Nassib and Cleveland as returning scholarship players; if the numbers get tight I assume that their schollies won't be renewed and they'll become walk-ons again.

There could be some movement that the public isn't aware of yet.

from my count and what I believe we heard there is after today 2 more spots open...i think both linebacker slots now that a saftey has filled today...though dont quote me i have been know to be wrong now and then

No prior knowledge but in general schools usually go for 25 and let the chips fall - as was posted prior, there are some (like Kinder did this past year) who will take their degrees and leave. There may be a couple who see the writing on the wall and transfer out. You never know... but you could be right with the 18 number.

I think we take 20-22 at minimum though.

No prior knowledge but in general schools usually go for 25 and let the chips fall - as was posted prior, there are some (like Kinder did this past year) who will take their degrees and leave. There may be a couple who see the writing on the wall and transfer out. You never know... but you could be right with the 18 number.

I think we take 20-22 at minimum though.
It could be more of a get 18 we really want then save 4 for a what if late in the recruiting possiblity. He told us he needed an answer in a week so they would no where he was going next. he was pretty excited when Shy told him right then. he must not read my posts or he would have seen it coming.lol. all I know is the kids with offers better decide quick the ship is filling up and leaving port soon with or without em.

Don't forget we have a some non-seniors this year who are rated to go in the draft. Generally with walkons like Cleveland and Nassib their scholarships are only given if there is room in a particular year. This happens all the time with basketball depending on if we had a full roster of scholarship players in one year then someone goes pro early the next year walkons will get a one year schollie which I'm sure they appreciate even if they don't necessarily get it the next year, the school doesn't have to give it at all its a nice bonus for lots and lots of hard work walk-ons put in for very little on the field glory, I'm glad SU does this when they can. Like I said before guys don't worry about the numbers if you can avoid it there are too many unknowns.

Bam, which recruits did you tell the staff you liked ;)

Hey, we could be like Tennessee and have 34-35 kids commit.

I spoke to the o line coach and told him all of his recruits looked great. I told him i liked the speed and size he was taking and I love that Duerig kid. I told him I liked the way he was grabbing a couple kids and banging them into the ground. i like angry line man. I also spoke with the rb coach and told him I liked strickland and congratulated him on the signing.

We will be taking close to a full class once again.. We are at 17 right now, and will take another 6-8 recruits, most likely 8.

Is it 15 plus the silent Bam mentioned, plus Dawson? Or does Dawson count towards the last class? Thus giving us 2 silents? Huh, food for thought.

Don't forget we have a some non-seniors this year who are rated to go in the draft. Generally with walkons like Cleveland and Nassib their scholarships are only given if there is room in a particular year. This happens all the time with basketball depending on if we had a full roster of scholarship players in one year then someone goes pro early the next year walkons will get a one year schollie which I'm sure they appreciate even if they don't necessarily get it the next year, the school doesn't have to give it at all its a nice bonus for lots and lots of hard work walk-ons put in for very little on the field glory, I'm glad SU does this when they can. Like I said before guys don't worry about the numbers if you can avoid it there are too many unknowns.
don't get too misty eyed over the school handing out scholarships to walk ons that would otherwise go unfilled. We are in the APR era, and those scholarships to walk ons go to the ones who will help out the APR. Still nice for the kid and all, but the program definitely benefits.

Dawson will count towards last year if they can.

Lets just hope there’s still room to pursue some of the multi-offered kids like Pickard, Kelly, Fox, Davis, Sheppard, Wheatley tetc o name a few.

Granted maybe the NY kids, Davis or Kelly etc have already said no thanks but i think if you're legitimately still in it you have to fight some fights.

Noted the staff obviously feels strongly enough about the talent to take the commitments and my opinion is based on very little information.

Last edited:
Dawson will count towards last year if they can.

Lets just hope there’s still room to pursue some of the multi-offered kids like Pickard, Kelly, Fox, Davis, Sheppard, Wheatley tetc o name a few.

Granted maybe the NY kids, Davis or Kelly etc have already said no thanks but i think if you're legitimately still in it you have to fight some fights.

Noted the staff obviously feels strongly enough about the talent to take the commitments and my opinion is based on very little much information.

I think we're really just focused on a few right now and i think the most important you hit above.

I think with Kelly there's a 60-75% chance he's coming here
Pickard is hard to tell but we should be there until the end.
Fox is an outside shot but he did enjoy his visit so you never know.
Sheppard unfortunately probably won't come here.
Wheatley and Davis are already gone, don't even worry about them.

We're in a great spot for Pugh/Dawson. Wes Annan will be tough but is our #1 DT on the board.

Ryslik is a backup plan. Ellison is probably the silent verbal.

That's pretty much it, I think. We did a lot of our work early so we can really bear down on a select few (and make sure our current commits stay committed).

I think we're really just focused on a few right now and i think the most important you hit above.

We're in a great spot for Pugh/Dawson. Wes Annan will be tough but is our #1 DT on the board.

That's pretty much it, I think. We did a lot of our work early so we can really bear down on a select few (and make sure our current commits stay committed).
Are we still targeting Parkinson or another big wideout?

So according to my napkin math, this is the following breakdown of recruits. Using this we can try to determine what are still positions of need and figure out where the remaining commits will come from.

2015:

Offense:
QB - 0
RB - 3
OL - 5
TE - 0
WR - 0

Most of the quarterbacks on the team are pretty young right now with one redshirt junior and the rest being sophomores/redshirt freshman/true freshman. We are pretty good here but may take 1 depending on other needs.

We have three RB's in this class and we took 2(does Nasean count?) in last year's class. I think we're done here but may take a rb who is a good athlete and may be able to be moved to the secondary. More on the secondary later.

This year's offense line is like last year with WR's. The more the better. We have a lot of guys who will be seniors next year so it is imperative to get quality guys who can get on the 2 deep and play early.

We have a guy or two in this recruiting class who could be classified as a tight end or defensive end. We took 2 last year so this position may be ok BUT we may take another guy who is a hybrid TE/WR or enough of an athlete that he could be moved around.

Last year we took a bunch of wide receivers and this year none. Thinking ahead you will want at least one wide receiver in this class so they may be holding out for a high 3 star/4 star type player. Probably from South Florida.

Defense:

DT - 1
DE - 2
MLB - 0
OLB - 1
CB - 2
S - 1

Defensive tackle is a position of need. Most of our DT's on the roster are juniors or seniors. This is a position we have taken JC players in the past so maybe we look there again. I would think we get at least one more, maybe 2.

Defensive end is also a position of need although we do have some young talent. Two verbals at the position may be enough- however we don't know either of the guys recruited there will stay at that position. May look for one more.

We recruited two solid guys at middle linebacker last year (maybe 3 with Thomas?) but I think they may want one in this recruiting cycle.

We have one verbal from an OLB but we may look for one more, especially since the one we have may grow to be a passing down rush end.

I could see us adding one or two more CB's depending on if all of the ones recruited last year make grades and/or are healthy. (Prater & Dawson specifically).

One safety may be enough but if there is another talent still interested in us like Kelly you take them and figure out numbers later.

Based on this I see the most likely remaining scholarships going to:

DT x 1 or 2
CB x 1 or 2
WR x 1
QB x 1
OLB/MLB x 1
S x 1
TE x 1

And get a better jump on 2016.

Pretty sure Milan is our #1 DT and why Annan didn't make his visit.

Good chance we get a verbal from Kelly after this weekend. Even if we don't i'm still confident in him

Alex Parkinson will be 1 of the kids we bring in.

I say we bring in 8 - 10 more going off the 15

Lamar Dawson
Ellison
Sawyer Dawson
Kelly
Parkinson
Pugh
Sheppard

Milan is our top DT targer, with Annan backing him up.

If we miss on Pickard and Fox there may be 1 or 2 guys we don't know about yet