19-10 (10-8) against the 20th hardest schedule | Syracusefan.com

19-10 (10-8) against the 20th hardest schedule

Millhouse

Living Legend
How do you leave a team out based on average point margin?

This is crazy.

They give auto berths to terrible teams just because they happen to win a couple lucky games

And team that wins more than the math predicts they ought to is ignored.

Predictions are great, these ratings are good for it. But tournament spots aren't predictions, if some great player is hurt all year and comes back at the end, they'd be predicted to be good but the fact is they weren't.

They play a very hard schedule and they won enough.

This is crazy.

They give auto berths to terrible teams just because they happen to win a couple lucky games

Predictions are great, these ratings are good for it. But tournament spots aren't predictions, if some great player is hurt all year and comes back at the end, they'd be predicted to be good but the fact is they weren't.

Honestly this is where Boeheim yelling in every presser may help us get some attention. He needs a bigger platform on TV. Where’s Bilas advocating for the ACC??? It’s absurd.

Do we know the committee will use avg point margin as much of a criterion?
I think it's part of the formulas that they use heavily, at least in the past

This year might be different where they override because of all the complaints about the gaming if the rankings

We get hurt by the committee removing the "last 10 games" part of the resume. I understand wanting to acknowledge a complete resume, but in the context of an entirely sophomore team, peaking at the right time needs to account for something. Let's stay hot and keep winning, we do that it should take care of itself.

This year might be different where they override because of all the complaints about the gaming if the rankings

Seeing how close the Net runs to KenPom.. the margin of victory is big in how efficiency metrics are calculated.

As others have said split RPI and Net weighting each 50 pct and you have your ranking that is fair.

Seeing how close the Net runs to KenPom.. the margin of victory is big in how efficiency metrics are calculated.

As others have said split RPI and Net weighting each 50 pct and you have your ranking that is fair.
Yeah not that this is much to bank on, but they take a lot of different things into account, and every year there's a handful of teams that buck what seems to be the conventional logic on selection and seeding.

Short of winning the ACC tourney, we may need to hope we're in that group. There are reasons we could be.

We get hurt by the committee removing the "last 10 games" part of the resume. I understand wanting to acknowledge a complete resume, but in the context of an entirely sophomore team, peaking at the right time needs to account for something. Let's stay hot and keep winning, we do that it should take care of itself.
Complete resume should certainly carry major weight, but with some acknowledgement that in this era of the transfer portal, teams evolve as the seasons plays itself out.
  • I also believe that the college football playoff has skewed things a bit with their emphasis/directive to identify the best teams as opposed to the most deserving teams. And that has bled into college hoops.
  • If this was solely about the "best teams," then the auto bids from the single-bid conferences should go away (I don't want them to, but that a definite inconsistency).
This should be about MOST DESERVING.

From a resume standpoint - our best win is UNC at home and then a bunch of teams on the wrong side of the bubble.

I think we’re mostly considered in the bubble conversation because of our strong SoS (even with all the 20 pt losses) and beating other bubble teams but we need some more decent wins to be really considered (Tenn and Clemson opportunities hurt).

From a resume standpoint - our best win is UNC at home and then a bunch of teams on the wrong side of the bubble.

I think we’re mostly considered in the bubble conversation because of our strong SoS (even with all the 20 pt losses) and beating other bubble teams but we need some more decent wins to be really considered (Tenn and Clemson opportunities hurt).
Our resume looks a lot better with winning out. Would get us close to .500 in Q1/Q2 (over if NC State can get into top 75) and one game under .500 in road/neutral games.

Without the road Clemson win its tough to see a path without winning the whole ACCT. Maybe a finals appearance with 2 wins over some combo of UVA/Wake/Clemson/Duke/UNC?

Screenshot 2024-02-28 101341.jpg

No idea how accurate this guy is but he's been pretty optimistic about our chances so I like him. Just win baby!

So randomly pick a team like Princeton

They are 51 in the Net

They lost to Rutgers,
beat St Joes
lost to Cornell
Split with Yale

No Quad 1
3-3 quad 2
8-0 quad 3 so 11-3 in those games

Su
2-7 quad 1
4-1 quad 2
8-2 quad 3 14-10 in those games

But who has Princeton really beat to get such a high net?

Non conf SOS is 219
SU is 104
so beating really bad teams made that difference in net?

a team like GT would be top 5 on the Princeton schedule

We fit the mold of a NET outlier that gets a bid. One thing that's important is that we beat out other ACC bubble teams as the committee will have a tough time selecting a large number of ACC teams. Sweeping Pitt and NC State and beating VT help a lot. If they finish weak and we finish strong we could be in good shape. UNC, Duke, Wake, Clemson and even Virginia are ahead of us, but we want to be that 6th team and bump out Pitt. I doubt the committee wants 7-8 ACC teams.

This is crazy.

We're #82 in NET, but the team we just beat by 13, who has a 15-13 (7-10) record is #60.

A team we swept, who has the same record (Pitt) is #49.

It's so dumb.

Last edited:
I think if they manage to win these last two regular season games, one win in ACCT gets them in (probably the First Four).

1-1 means they probably need to make the ACCT Finals.

View attachment 238224
No idea how accurate this guy is but he's been pretty optimistic about our chances so I like him. Just win baby!

This is has been my take as well. I think we win the next two and we're in the discussion. Add 1 win in the ACC tournament, we should be safely in. Split the next two, then we need at least 1 win in the ACC tourney, maybe 2.

We're #82 in NET, but the team we just beat by 13, who has a 15-13 (7-10) record is #60.

A team we swept, who as the same record (Pitt) is #49.

It's so dumb.
They were 56 before we beat them. But your point stands. It's so dumb

So randomly pick a team like Princeton

They are 51 in the Net

They lost to Rutgers,
beat St Joes
lost to Cornell
Split with Yale

No Quad 1
3-3 quad 2
8-0 quad 3 so 11-3 in those games

Su
2-7 quad 1
4-1 quad 2
8-2 quad 3 14-10 in those games

But who has Princeton really beat to get such a high net?

Non conf SOS is 219
SU is 104
so beating really bad teams made that difference in net?

a team like GT would be top 5 on the Princeton schedule
Princeton is 94th in the simple rating used at college basketball reference. Schedule adjusted scoring margin which of course isn't perfect to evaluate what's happened in W/L. Maybe that's too low but their schedule is weak

NET is strange

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom