1987 Team Reunion This Saturday... | Syracusefan.com

1987 Team Reunion This Saturday...

Bill Orange

...per a Matt Park Tweet from last Sunday:

"There's been a quiet effort for a reunion of Syracuse's 1987 Final Four team. You'll see them honored at Saturday's 6:00 Providence game."

"Quiet" being the operative word.

Make that vewy, vewy quiet, Elmer Fudd.

Hopefully we honor them with some paypack in April on their 25th anniversary in the same place, and perhaps against the same opponent!

"There's been a quiet effort for a reunion of Syracuse's 1987 Final Four team. You'll see them honored at Saturday's 6:00 Providence game."

Did Matt Park mention whether Rony Seikaly's wife will be in attendance, and if she'll be wearing a bikini?

Hopefully we honor them with some paypack in April on their 25th anniversary in the same place, and perhaps against the same opponent!
They got their payback in 2003. DC was the first one to call JB. He was happy the monkey was off his back.

I always wondered what became of Greg Monroe. Seems like he's been MIA.

That is some thoroughly awesome news. I was just a kid on that fateful night in 87, I took that loss like Id lost a family member, to this day its still the hardest moment I ever endured as a fan of any team, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

As a real tribute to that team, they should re-enact the F4 brawl with Providence as long as they're in town. Ah, those were the days :)

That was my freshman year at SU. Even with the victory in 2003, that 1987 loss to Indiana still hurts.

That was my freshman year at SU. Even with the victory in 2003, that 1987 loss to Indiana still hurts.
JB still says it's the hardest loss he ever had and he has never watched the tape.

I always wondered what became of Greg Monroe. Seems like he's been MIA.

He lives in rochester. He actually worked with my brother in law for a medical waste company and used to hang out with him quite a bit. We even had lunch with him one day. Great guy. He used to text me saying "I just played one one one with Greg Monroe...how wild is that?"

Funny story as well. My bro in law and Greg Monroe attended a game at the dome probably 5-7 years ago. Well as they were walking through the halls someone noticed him and said "Hey Greg Monroe!" Well they stopped to chat and my brother in law says to the kid "What, you dont recognize me?" The kid looks at him and tells him no. My BIL then says "I'm Matt Roe". Now he is bald (shaves his head) and really doesnt look much like Roe (is tall like him though) but figures what the hell. The kid says to him "Oh yea...hey it's Matt Roe". He even signed about 15 autographs.

Greg Monroe was literally trying to hold in his laugh during the entire performance. So some twenty something men (now older) have my brother in law's autograph somewhere in their house.

I guess I had a contrary reaction. I first became a fan back in 1970-71, when making the N.I.T. was a big deal and we were rarely on TV. To me, in 1987 we were still only a few years removed from being "just a regional" program. When we made that run to the Final, in the year following Pearl leaving early for the pros, and especially the way we dominated portions of that game against Indiana - well, for me, even though we lost, that was the first time that I felt like we could be a national powerhouse, and not just a good Eastern school. It wasn't like we were a one-trick pony just because of the Pearl. We could remain among the elite.

I felt like game was our arrival, and it was only through a lot of luck that a revered program like Indiana, with Coach Bob Knight, beat us. We were the better team, and everyone saw it. Until the 2003 championship, despite us actually losing the 1987 final, that game was one of my all-time favorites, right alongside our revenge against Indiana in the Pre-Season N.I.T. the following year (or was it a year later...?), when Pearl made the famous "hike" pass between his legs to Stevie Thompson, when we blew them out, and even the championship game loss in '96 to Kentucky.

Of course, you'd always rather have the national championship, but that was the beginning of us being as good a team as anybody else in America. And we stayed that way for about 5 more years, until the probation, and then clawing our way back to being good again, behind Lawrence Moten, and then John Wallace. So for me, 1987 was an important marker on the road. Everybody in America was watching Syracuse basketball that night, and they all came away impressed.

Providence is doing the same thing when L'ville plays there.

He lives in rochester. He actually worked with my brother in law for a medical waste company amd used to hang out with him quite a bit. We even had lunch with him one day. Great guy. He used to text me saying "I just played one one one with Greg Monroe...how wild is that?"

Funny story as well. My bro in law and Greg Monroe attended a game at the dome probably 5-7 years ago. Well as they were walking through the halls someone noticed him and said "Hey Greg Monroe!" Well they stopped to chat and my brother in law says to the kid "What, you dont recognize me?" The kid looks at him and tells him no. My BIL then says "I'm Matt Roe". Now he is bald (shaves his head) and really doesnt look much like Roe (is tall like him though) but figures what the hell. The kid says to him "Oh yea...hey it's Matt Roe". He even signed about 15 autographs.

Greg Monroe was literally trying to hold in his laugh during the entire performance. So some twenty something men (now older) have my brother in law's autograph somewhere in their house.
Funny stuff.

I guess I had a contrary reaction. I first became a fan back in 1970-71, when making the N.I.T. was a big deal and we were rarely on TV. To me, in 1987 we were still only a few years removed from being "just a regional" program. When we made that run to the Final, in the year following Pearl leaving early for the pros, and especially the way we dominated portions of that game against Indiana - well, for me, even though we lost, that was the first time that I felt like we could be a national powerhouse, and not just a good Eastern school. It wasn't like we were a one-trick pony just because of the Pearl. We could remain among the elite.

I felt like game was our arrival, and it was only through a lot of luck that a revered program like Indiana, with Coach Bob Knight, beat us. We were the better team, and everyone saw it. Until the 2003 championship, despite us actually losing the 1987 final, that game was one of my all-time favorites, right alongside our revenge against Indiana in the Pre-Season N.I.T. the following year (or was it a year later...?), when Pearl made the famous "hike" pass between his legs to Stevie Thompson, when we blew them out, and even the championship game loss in '96 to Kentucky.

Of course, you'd always rather have the national championship, but that was the beginning of us being as good a team as anybody else in America. And we stayed that way for about 5 more years, until the probation, and then clawing our way back to being good again, behind Lawrence Moten, and then John Wallace. So for me, 1987 was an important marker on the road. Everybody in America was watching Syracuse basketball that night, and they all came away impressed.
Wow. I thought every Cuse fan who watched that game came away pissed. Little did I know you could feel differently.

Sherm made the hike pass not Pearl. Agree with your general sentiments, with the passage of time, but being there in person that night it was very painful. Winning in 2003 eases the pain a lot.

TWA.jpg

Minuta
270.jpg

Elsa almost boarded TWA Flight 800, a Boeing 747 that exploded over the Atlantic soon after takeoff in 1996. All 230 passengers were killed. Many thought it was an act of terrorism. The official likely cause was a short circuit.

Found out that Rony Seikaly will not be in attendance as he had a previous DJ gig booked months before this was planned. Too bad he couldn't join in the fun.

Seems like yesterday Rick. I watched the North Carolina game in Day hall and then joined everybody down on Marshall Street to celebrate. National Championship game in Buggsies that was a great time until...well...

That is some thoroughly awesome news. I was just a kid on that fateful night in 87, I took that loss like Id lost a family member, to this day its still the hardest moment I ever endured as a fan of any team, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

As a real tribute to that team, they should re-enact the F4 brawl with Providence as long as they're in town. Ah, those were the days :)

Im with you man. I cried like a little baby for an hour after that game. Hurts to remember to this day.

Seems like yesterday Rick. I watched the North Carolina game in Day hall and then joined everybody down on Marshall Street to celebrate. National Championship game in Bugsy's that was a great time until...well...
Holy crap, we followed the same path. I watched the UNC game on Day 7 before heading to M Street and then watched the Natl Championship game at Bugsy's as well.

Holy crap, we followed the same path. I watched the UNC game on Day 7 before heading to M Street and then watched the Natl Championship game at Bugsy's as well.
You're cracking me up. Do you know who I am other than my screen name? We were together. I'll give you a hint - my wife's name is Kristin and lived on day 7. Lol.

Why they don't plan this well in advance and do it at a big game is beyond me. Obviously, they are trying to sell more tickets to the Providence game since they do not have to work on selling them for UConn or Louisville. They deserve to be feted at the biggest game of the year.