1989 Syracuse-Illinois | Syracusefan.com

1989 Syracuse-Illinois

Alsacs

Living Legend
I don't think I have been more crushed watching a game than this one.
I was 5 years old.
Watching it now the last 20 minutes are probably the half I would most like to replay if I could replay one game(87 I was too young)

I was 5 years old.
Watching it now the last 20 minutes are probably the half I would most like to replay if I could replay one game(87 I was too young)

I was 10. It's a tie between this and Butler.

I was six. I don't remember the details of the game - I just remember crying afterwards that I would never get to see my favorite player (Sherman) play again. Back then, even great players played all four years, kids!

That season was my first as a Syracuse fan - passed along to me from my parents and older brothers. We never watched a game without playing Nerf at the same time. I was Sherman since I was the smallest.

It's funny watching these old teams/games/seasons online. What's weird is we had a lot of the same issues we have today. I still can't believe D.C. Teams didn't win at least 1 title. Those teams were LOADED. Yet we'd lose 9 games. Lol

Real tough loss. Great level of play on both sides though. DC was playing with a hurt back, and wasn't 100%. Owens stepped up big the whole tourney. I think JB, either in his book or in some interview, thought a lot of getting beat in the 2nd half was in part due to the tough game with Missouri the round before, which went late until the night with this being an afternoon game, combined with DC.

Just a reminder that we'd play Iowa State, a Wisconsin team we easily beat, and five seed Florida had we held on vs Michigan State.

Just like the '87 NC game, I can't ever watch this game again. So frustrating.

That was the year Glen Rice carried Michigan to the title. I think if we had won a title before Duke we would have turned into a selector school.

SU played Missouri the Friday night before and that game went well after midnight. We were down in the second half and Sherman and Billy refused to lose. As someone pointed out DC was playing with a sore back and wasn't as effective in the final against Illinois as he could have been. Here's another reason to hate Hoyas (if you needed one). He got hurt in the BE final against the Hoya's when he was undercut by a G'Town player under the basket and came down on his back.

Random fact -I believe that game was on Easter Sunday. I remember watching with the family. I was almost 11 years old. Was so bummed after.

Random fact -I believe that game was on Easter Sunday. I remember watching with the family. I was almost 11 years old. Was so bummed after.

Up 4 at the half and thought we really were going to do it.

Brutal. Illinois' team was all 6'5 6'6' athletes.

Illinois was the 1 seed, we were the 2 in the midwest. DC hurt his back in last home game vs. Hoyas. Did not play vs PC or the hall in big east tourney. Played a little vs. the Hoyas in BET final with Mike Tyson in attendance along with Spike Lee. Did not play vs. Bucknell. Played a little vs. Colorado State, than gave all he had vs. Missouri and Illinois.

IF DC was not hurt we win.

Game was Easter.

It's funny watching these old teams/games/seasons online. What's weird is we had a lot of the same issues we have today. I still can't believe D.C. Teams didn't win at least 1 title. Those teams were LOADED. Yet we'd lose 9 games. Lol
This is why I said in another post earlier today, before the stupid one and done rule, this was college basketball and how much better it was then compared to now.

I was six. I don't remember the details of the game - I just remember crying afterwards that I would never get to see my favorite player (Sherman) play again. Back then, even great players played all four years, kids!

That season was my first as a Syracuse fan - passed along to me from my parents and older brothers. We never watched a game without playing Nerf at the same time. I was Sherman since I was the smallest.

LOL that was me almost word for word, except for the older brother part. Late season, the nerf hoop was moved outside to the driveway. I recall after the huge Cuse comeback during the GTown game, I was so fired up that during timeouts I was sprinting out of the house and throwing down double pump dunks(in my mind, I was being Stevie Thompson) and then running back in.

Those are my prime memories of that era...Cuse runs, the Dome going nuts, fast break Stevie Thompson dunks, Sherm, and my inability to say Owens correctly. I called him Billy Owns, except the O was always really drawn out when I said it. "Billy Oooooooowns!" It always cracked my dad up and he still says "Billy Ooooooowns!" to me on the occasions that Billy is brought up.

1989 was also the year where SU beat Seton Hall three times yet the Hall went on to lose a tough one to Michigan in the title game.

Watched the game at the brae loch on Easter. Cried like a stuck pig. The end.

I was 5 years old.

Is this the game where Coleman got T'd up late for throwing the ball at a player???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom