2006-08 vs. Today | Syracusefan.com

2006-08 vs. Today

It's funny, if 2006-2008 Me could look ahead to the future and see 2013 Me stressing out over SU being projected as a 4 seed in the NCAA tournament, I think 2006-2008 Me would want to slap current Me in the face.

I fall into the same trap. The past 3 seasons of 1-3-1 seeds have spoiled a lot of people. I remember watching hours and hours of bubble games with sheets and names of teams and trying to figure out who we needed to lose to help us out. Then throw in the conference tournaments and praying that each regular season champion won so there were no bubbles burst.

Not a fun time for sure.

Its actually been the last 4 years of being a top 3 seed, we were a 3 seed in 2009. If we can beat the hoyazz we can keep that streak alive.

Great post honestly we were on the bubble 3 years in a row and that douche Lunardi wanted to change the term on the bubble to on the Boeheim. It is another reason I don't care for Lunardi. Those 3 years were the definition of mediocrity, I was watching on ESPNU SEC stories the documentary on Georgia winning the 2008 SEC tournament. I remember watching that tournament begging for Kentucky and Georgia to lose to give us a chance to sneak in. Well Georgia won the SEC Tournament and stole a bid from somebody. John Feinstein came out in the Washington Post the next week and said if Georgia had lost Syracuse would have made the NCAA Tournament. Goodness gracious we have taken these last 4 years for granted.

Great post honestly we were on the bubble 3 years in a row and that douche Lunardi wanted to change the term on the bubble to on the Boeheim. It is another reason I don't care for Lunardi. Those 3 years were the definition of mediocrity, I was watching on ESPNU SEC stories the documentary on Georgia winning the 2008 SEC tournament. I remember watching that tournament begging for Kentucky and Georgia to lose to give us a chance to sneak in. Well Georgia won the SEC Tournament and stole a bid from somebody. John Feinstein came out in the Washington Post the next week and said if Georgia had lost Syracuse would have made the NCAA Tournament. Goodness gracious we have taken these last 4 years for granted.

They did steal the bid from us. I was in NY for the BET that year and the only thing I paid attention to was the SEC tournament. That was a very frustrating 3 days. After Georgia beat 2 teams in the same day I knew they were beating Arkansas and making the tournament.

The one guy that Lunardi should have hammered more was Seth Greenberg. My god how many consecutive years did VTech get stood up at the altar?

They did steal the bid from us. I was in NY for the BET that year and the only thing I paid attention to was the SEC tournament. That was a very frustrating 3 days. After Georgia beat 2 teams in the same day I knew they were beating Arkansas and making the tournament.

The one guy that Lunardi should have hammered more was Seth Greenberg. My god how many consecutive years did VTech get stood up at the altar?
http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2008-03-16/opinions/36839139_1_arizona-state-tough-schedule-vcu
Here is the article if Georgia had lost Syracuse would have made the tournament. I watched the Georgia-Kentucky game on ESPN3 that Saturday Morning and wanted to go crazy when UGA won in OT and then 6 hours later Rick Stansbury and Miss State DIDN'T press a team of 8 guys on 6 hours rest. When they beat Miss State your right I knew they weren't losing to Arkansas who beat Florida in another upset that helped UGA. I wonder if that 2008 SU team would have won a game in the NCAA tournament.

It's funny, if 2006-2008 Me could look ahead to the future and see 2013 Me stressing out over SU being projected as a 4 seed in the NCAA tournament, I think 2006-2008 Me would want to slap current Me in the face.

I agree 100%, I would have put more than 100% but that is not possible. I can't even count the number of years where we would start off 17-0 or 15-2 and then have a 5-6 game losing streak in the middle of Big East play and up having to win a few games at the end of the year and hope for 4-5 seed. Fans, myself included to a certain extent, have been spoiled by the run of #1, #3, #1 seeded teams.

You are the first non-Kentucky fan in history to ever utter those words.

Well we were ousted early that year in the BET and I knew once Georgia won the first game and then beat Kentucky that I had better start paying attention. That year EVERYTHING broke our way. I mean we needed like 15 teams to lose games and EVERYONE lost. I mean it was almost comical how good our luck was for that weekend. The ONLY bullet we had to dodge was Georgia. I blame Billie Gillespie that POS. Kentucky should have wiped the floor with them. They only had 4 conference wins all season! I mean that would be like Rutgers winning the BET this year.

Dont get me started on 2008!

Well we were ousted early that year in the BET and I knew once Georgia won the first game and then beat Kentucky that I had better start paying attention. That year EVERYTHING broke our way. I mean we needed like 15 teams to lose games and EVERYONE lost. I mean it was almost comical how good our luck was for that weekend. The ONLY bullet we had to dodge was Georgia. I blame Billie Gillespie that POS. Kentucky should have wiped the floor with them. They only had 4 conference wins all season! I mean that would be like Rutgers winning the BET this year.

I know I'm just teasing you - I just meant that the Kentucky fanbase is the only one emotionally invested in their conference tournament at all.

2008 - We didn't really deserve to be in. If we got in for 2008, it would have been to makeup for the snub of the century in 2007

2007 really was a sham job. We went 10-6 in the BE that year!

I know I'm just teasing you - I just meant that the Kentucky fanbase is the only one emotionally invested in their conference tournament at all.

Ha, Roger that.

Marsh you aren't kidding I was in law school and was in the BC law library that Thursday after we lost to Villanova and remember seeing literally EVERY TEAM we needed to lose Arizona State, Miami, Va. Tech, and all the other bubble teams ALL LOSE then Kentucky lost and honestly I was rooting for UGA to beat Kentucky because they were on the bubble that year as well. However, we all found out after the fact the committee decided that the SEC tournament would not hurt ANY SEC's bubble status because of the tornado. Thus, Kentucky's loss to Georgia which ordinarily would have been a bubble buster had no effect on Kentucky and thus I shouldn't have cared if Kentucky lost. In 2007 we thoroughly screwed by that POS Gary Waiters in 2008 we lost to Villanova in a winner gets in game and still had a shot because OF ALL the other teams choking. What is funny is now with the First 4 and expansion to 68 we would have made the tournament both of those years in those games. People forget a TERRIBLE year for a Jim Boeheim coached Syracuse team is to end up just short on the bubble.

Marsh you aren't kidding I was in law school and was in the BC law library that Thursday after we lost to Villanova and remember seeing literally EVERY TEAM we needed to lose Arizona State, Miami, Va. Tech, and all the other bubble teams ALL LOSE then Kentucky lost and honestly I was rooting for UGA to beat Kentucky because they were on the bubble that year as well. However, we all found out after the fact the committee decided that the SEC tournament would not hurt ANY SEC's bubble status because of the tornado. Thus, Kentucky's loss to Georgia which ordinarily would have been a bubble buster had no effect on Kentucky and thus I shouldn't have cared if Kentucky lost. In 2007 we thoroughly screwed by that POS Gary Waiters in 2008 we lost to Villanova in a winner gets in game and still had a shot because OF ALL the other teams choking. What is funny is now with the First 4 and expansion to 68 we would have made the tournament both of those years in those games. People forget a TERRIBLE year for a Jim Boeheim coached Syracuse team is to end up just short on the bubble.

Im glad someone else remembered too. That was the perfect storm (no pun intended with the real storm). I remember thinking there was no way in hell that Georgia would win 3 games in 2 days. Un freaking real.

I fall into the same trap. The past 3 seasons of 1-3-1 seeds have spoiled a lot of people. I remember watching hours and hours of bubble games with sheets and names of teams and trying to figure out who we needed to lose to help us out. Then throw in the conference tournaments and praying that each regular season champion won so there were no bubbles burst.

Not a fun time for sure.

The best part of living off the bubble is that you can now focus on SWACtion and those late night WCC battles.

And the Great West Conference

I love when my wife walks in the room at around 9:30-10:00 on her way to bed and says "why are you watching the Southern Alabama-North Carolina A&T game?" Then she thinks about it and says "right, possible opponent, I forgot".

2007 really was a sham job. We went 10-6 in the BE that year!

2007 was probably the biggest tourny snub ever. 2008 doesn't bother me much, that team didn't really deserve to get in. But '07 was a joke. I don't even think we were considered a bubble team on selection Sunday, beating uconn in the bet moves us into lock status on everyones board. Except gary walters, ill never forget that guys name as long as I live.

2007 was probably the biggest tourny snub ever. 2008 doesn't bother me much, that team didn't really deserve to get in. But '07 was a joke. I don't even think we were considered a bubble team on selection Sunday, beating uconn in the bet moves us into lock status on everyones board. Except gary walters, ill never forget that guys name as long as I live.

Andy Glockner too; I'm not sure if he had us out or not but I remember him saying something like "everyone thinks Syracuse is a lock but the more I look at the profile the less convinced i am"

Andy Glockner too; I'm not sure if he had us out or not but I remember him saying something like "everyone thinks Syracuse is a lock but the more I look at the profile the less convinced i am"

I remember him saying that too. He was very convinced that we would be sweating out the bid. Unfortunately he was right.

Correct. We were on the bubble in 2007 in last couple weeks of the season, but the blowout of a top 10 G'Town team and we were firmly in. Were not even showing up on bubble lists after that. I remember it got to the final pairing and I had not seen Louisville yet and I knew they were in so I knew we were out because 2 BE teams would not play in first round. Who is Gary Walters? Is he the SEC commish who put Arkansas in over us?

I remember the head-to-head comparison with Stanford and it was insane how much better our resume was on every appreciable measure.

Arkansas and Stanford were the teams that year that did not deserve bids. Arkansas F'ed us twice in a 2 year span. Getting a bid over us in 2007 and losing to Georgia in the 2008 SEC finals giving Georgia our bid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom