(2014) 4 * Dewayne Hendrix offered | Syracusefan.com

(2014) 4 * Dewayne Hendrix offered

StanCuse44

Scout Team
I haven't seen this posted yet...

After being visited by Syracuse’s Scott Shafer, 2014 strong-side defensive end Dewayne Hendrix received an offer from the Syracuse Orange on January 22nd.

The other teams that have offered at Hendrix include: Illinois, Kansas State, Michigan State, Missouri, Northern Illinois, Ole Miss, and South Florida.

Hendrix is a 6’5″, 230 pound defensive end from O’Fallon, Illinois. He is currently a junior at O’Fallon High School.

The four-star recruit is currently ranked 7th in the state of Illinois, 14th among strong-side defensive ends, and 180th nationally among 2014 high school recruits by 247Sports.

Could be that HCSS met with Hendrix while he was also meeting with QB Todd Porter from O'Fallon earlier this week.

Could be that HCSS met with Hendrix while he was also meeting with QB Todd Porter from O'Fallon earlier this week.

Yeah - their coach said Shafe made both offers at same time...

Im startin to worry why all our offers r being used for midwest players,concerns me a bit

Why?? They want to fill the class. We just turned over a new staff. The new staff has to go get players from where there are comfortable with. McDonald can't just start recruiting NY. He has to hit the spots he knows for now build the class. Then work on the East Coast connects during the year and start hitting those areas next year. We brought in a bunch of mid west coaches of course they will fill the class with midwest type prospects.

Im startin to worry why all our offers r being used for midwest players,concerns me a bit

Gots to gets what you can gets recruiting-wise after massive coaching poach like Dougie pulled...

We have (what appears to be) very good recruiters now on staff... yes, their ties are midwest and south...

I would expect Shafe is looking for a NE guy with good NE recruiting ties for the DB coaching position, hence why he's taking his time with that... fine by me...

If McD is who we think he is, get a strong NE guy to tag-team him with for NYC, NJ, PA and we'll get some continuity built.

McD is a closer... we need to get him a partner for the NE with the highschool coaching ties...

It's cause we're going to the B1G... ;)
I wouldn't be concerned with that at this point but if the 2014looks are all there, then I might get a little concerned about the strategy.

Anyone who is "worried" about offers made to 4* recruits, where-ever they are from, needs to find other things to "worry" about. Offer talent, and program fit. If we build a pipeline in any city/region where the recruits pan out, that is a good thing. If they commit, they show up, they produce, good for us! There is competition in every region my friend...

Hendrix to Tennessee. Good luck Malik Brown.

Malik is just added to the list of players who could have had a better opportunity here at SU, Ishaq Williams for one who may be done for the rest of this year with a knee injury and who pretty much was a part timer with just 1 sack in almost 3 full years at ND, snd then there is Jarron Jones who's story is written but in almost 2 full seasons has seen the field twice and has 1 tackle. Our recruits do see the field, but until we start bringing in players like these on a consistent basis, we have to live with the ups and downs of our program.

Hendrix to Tennessee. Good luck Malik Brown.
Malik should've put chances of being recruited over and ever seeing the playing field on his spreadsheet/checklist of where to go to college. He got played and will be a lifetime special teamer.

Maybe playing makes you better. Maybe not. But do we really want guys who can't break into the lineup at the so-called premier schools?
Yes. A lot of times it comes down to opportunity and timing. Sometimes guys who would improve a lot just don't get the opportunity to show what they can do because they are behind someone else who the coaches favor for whatever reason. What if Wally Pipp had never gotten a headache that allowed Lou Gehrig to play? Sure, the odds are that Gehrig would have eventually played anyway, but who is to say he wouldn't have been traded while Pipp continued to start?

The point is, a lot of players would have better opportunities to showcase their talents with teams where they can get on the field quicker and more consistently.

Maybe playing makes you better. Maybe not. But do we really want guys who can't break into the lineup at the so-called premier schools?

Of course not - we want Tenn 1st teamers. But the point is - that if they want to play and have a chance on the field - you do that here. We have been very good at finding players who get looked over but develop over 4 years.

SEC teams are loaded with players looking for a chance in the game. Why wait? Play here.

Please no more QBoffers . We have way more than enough in and coming nto the program Unless there is a very mobile Unitas or Namath that loves Syracuse forget it. Sure I'll take a Mcnabb but we will need another high end O-line kid as well and a player on the D-line interior or off the edge.

That is a very debatable question. One we all have to face. Look at our own jobs. It takes effort, skill, and opportunity to get the job. Miss any one of these and you are out of a job, most likely. Effort is one of those things you can't predict and comes down to the individual, the system looks at skills and again the individual can hone and improve these as well. Opportunity is a whole nother story. Take a top RB selected at a school like Alabama. He is one of the best recruits of the class, but at Alabama, he could easily be 5th, 6th or 7th in the depth chart. The opportunity still may come, but for how long? The second year comes along, after pretty much sitting on the bench, and maybe that person comes in 3rd or 4th in the depth chart. How much playing time does a 3rd or 4th depth chart RB get. Well look at our own, not a whole heck of a lot. Then comes year 3 where this RB has a legit shot at the #1 or 2 spot. But wait, a school like Alabama has already reloaded 2 times so there is still plenty of competition. I am just saying, the opportunity will be there for any kid but how many do you get a premier school when all they do is reload evrey year. A top talent there is just an average joe who might have to fight for playing time, and and all. Fact is you can't play 85 players and if 60 of them are 4 star or better, how do you play 60 kids? Just because a kid doesn't ever get to start there doesn't mean he didn't put in the effort or have the skill to play the position, he may have missed his opportunity to grab it and now he is pushed back deeper in the depth chart. But to your point, there is no guarantee period on any school for any kid. They just got to have those three things mentioned above, and lets face it, where do you think you will get the best opportunity for playing time?

some here seem knock recruits who passsed us over always saying he would have been better off here.

if he couldn't start there,then why should have we really wanted him in the first place. that means we will always be chasing those schools for the talent and chasing them in the wins dept.also

some here seem knock recruits who passsed us over always saying he would have been better off here.

if he couldn't start there,then why should have we really wanted him in the first place. that means we will always be chasing those schools for the talent and chasing them in the wins dept.also
Doesn't mean we will always be chasing those schools. But you have to start somewhere when crawling out of the gutter, and we could use some of those guys right now.

I am just amazed by the fact that it is a foregone conclusion that Brown sits ... has anyone thought about the fact that Hendrix could end up riding pine right behind Brown?
Its not just Hendrix. I've been following this since his flip and the promise to him provided by UT that there was early playing time available. They have since signed at least 4 guys that are rated more highly than him including a JUCO guy. Meanwhile, on the hill, pretty sure he would've been playing this season based upon our rotation at DE.
The point of all of this is the bright lights of the big programs doesn't alwasy work and prospects get sold a bill of goods when without a doubt they could come into our program and contribute immediately. Just wish the staff would track it and show the data to these recruits who are being recruited for depth at the "big-time" programs and end up as special teams players forever.

Its not just Hendrix. I've been following this since his flip and the promise to him provided by UT that there was early playing time available. They have since signed at least 4 guys that are rated more highly than him including a JUCO guy. Meanwhile, on the hill, pretty sure he would've been playing this season based upon our rotation at DE.
The point of all of this is the bright lights of the big programs doesn't alwasy work and prospects get sold a bill of goods when without a doubt they could come into our program and contribute immediately. Just wish the staff would track it and show the data to these recruits who are being recruited for depth at the "big-time" programs and end up as special teams players forever.

Is it possible that he sits? Of course ... but the one thing the staff had was the ability to identify talent ... its the same thing with Edwards at the U ... honestly I figured the kid wouldn't see the field ... man was I wrong ... rankings have their place but Brown could very easily be a guy who defies the system.

Is it possible that he sits? Of course ... but the one thing the staff had was the ability to identify talent ... its the same thing with Edwards at the U ... honestly I figured the kid wouldn't see the field ... man was I wrong ... rankings have their place but Brown could very easily be a guy who defies the system.

Obviously brown could end up being the guy and if so good for him, hats off. Same could be said for ishaq, or jaron jones, or vidal Hazleton or nyan boateng.

The point in all this is when you go to a factory you run the risk of never really playing or getting a chance. Maybe that's what will happen to Hendrix. It doesn't mean you're not good either.

Syracuse lacrosse, it's a selector school, there are bench warmers who could possibly be all Americans if they went to say to Fairfield or buttgers or some non factory where they're going to play.

Tough to showcase your talent if you're the backup and chance are good you might be bc they'll continue to bring in 4 star after 4 star because they can.