(2014) 4 * Dewayne Hendrix offered | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

(2014) 4 * Dewayne Hendrix offered

By the way, I've been watching Gus to and while I know he'll be a stud Rb he's really only had a token true frosh year. 1 carry in the last 3 games, nothing real special from him yet. And frankly, again Miami is going to bring in more horses; 2 four star RBs committed right now.

Last edited:
Its not just Hendrix. I've been following this since his flip and the promise to him provided by UT that there was early playing time available. They have since signed at least 4 guys that are rated more highly than him including a JUCO guy. Meanwhile, on the hill, pretty sure he would've been playing this season based upon our rotation at DE.
The point of all of this is the bright lights of the big programs doesn't alwasy work and prospects get sold a bill of goods when without a doubt they could come into our program and contribute immediately. Just wish the staff would track it and show the data to these recruits who are being recruited for depth at the "big-time" programs and end up as special teams players forever.

Well we can start tracking the data for them now. Lets start with the first "Blue Chipper" not surprisingly also to Tennessee, David Oku.
David Oku Stats:
TENN:
2009 FR 23 Car 94 Yds
2010 SO 42 Car 174Yds
2011 (waiting year) Transfer to Arkansas State due to lack of playing time.
Ark ST:
2012 JR(rs) 243 Car 1061Yds.

Yards per Carry are very similar for Tennessee 4.1 and ArkST 4.4, Not lighting up the sky given that Jarome is at 5.2 right now, but we're talking about him playing in 2009 and 2010 taking some load off Carter and Bailey and being more featured in the 2011 season when Antwone Bailey was getting beat to hell every down also for a 4.4 avg at season's end. If Bailey had been part of a 1-2 punch and not forced to take so many carries his numbers would have likely been much better also.

So Tennessee had a possible 1000 yd Rusher sitting #3or#4 on their bench that would have been #1 or #2 here in 2011 who knows how much potential was squandered in the 3 years where he didn't get PT. Now he's playing at ArkST not a bad team but outside of the BCS conferences looking in.

Everybody look one guy up with specific playing time stats and post it I'm sure one of our fearless leaders here will direct a certain recruiting coordinator to the list.

Well we can start tracking the data for them now. Lets start with the first "Blue Chipper" not surprisingly also to Tennessee, David Oku.
David Oku Stats:
TENN:
2009 FR 23 Car 94 Yds
2010 SO 42 Car 174Yds
2011 (waiting year) Transfer to Arkansas State due to lack of playing time.
Ark ST:
2012 JR(rs) 243 Car 1061Yds.

Yards per Carry are very similar for Tennessee 4.1 and ArkST 4.4, Not lighting up the sky given that Jarome is at 5.2 right now, but we're talking about him playing in 2009 and 2010 taking some load off Carter and Bailey and being more featured in the 2011 season when Antwone Bailey was getting beat to hell every down also for a 4.4 avg at season's end. If Bailey had been part of a 1-2 punch and not forced to take so many carries his numbers would have likely been much better also.

So Tennessee had a possible 1000 yd Rusher sitting #3or#4 on their bench that would have been #1 or #2 here in 2011 who knows how much potential was squandered in the 3 years where he didn't get PT. Now he's playing at ArkST not a bad team but outside of the BCS conferences looking in.

Everybody look one guy up with specific playing time stats and post it I'm sure one of our fearless leaders here will direct a certain recruiting coordinator to the list.

he was NEVER coming here. he came as a favor to stan drayton, we had no chance to land him.

he was NEVER coming here. he came as a favor to stan drayton, we had no chance to land him.
Yes I know especially with it being Marrone's first year coming off the dumpster fire, but that is beside the point, it is still an excellent example. He would have had as much playing time as he needed here, at Tenn he was buried. Doesn't matter how close we were to actually getting someone, this is a study in how very good players that could see good playing time here get buried at ND and SEC (etal) schools.

Justin Pugh, Shamarko Thomas and Nassib all drafted last year none of them were "4 star guys" but they got great playing time and focus from the coaching and S&C staff at SU to prove their talent and improve their strength. Name the last guy who played 3nd string at any school his whole c0llege career that went high in the NFL draft.

We don't want to (and hopefully don't have to) use this argument forever with recruits but as we continue to build back up it certainly is a rational one to possibly land a few very talented players.

Yes I know especially with it being Marrone's first year coming off the dumpster fire, but that is beside the point, it is still an excellent example. He would have had as much playing time as he needed here, at Tenn he was buried. Doesn't matter how close we were to actually getting someone, this is a study in how very good players that could see good playing time here get buried at ND and SEC (etal) schools.

Justin Pugh, Shamarko Thomas and Nassib all drafted last year none of them were "4 star guys" but they got great playing time and focus from the coaching and S&C staff at SU to prove their talent and improve their strength. Name the last guy who played 3nd string at any school his whole c0llege career that went high in the NFL draft.

We don't want to (and hopefully don't have to) use this argument forever with recruits but as we continue to build back up it certainly is a rational one to possibly land a few very talented players.
If he was a "very good player" why didn't he get PT there? Maybe he was overrated and he would have struggled to get on the field here. Did Max Beaulieu get buried by coming here? (Hint: No, he wasn't a good player)

Pugh and Nassib didn't have any other options besides coming here. Shamarko still would have been a star if he stayed committed to UL.

Obviously brown could end up being the guy and if so good for him, hats off. Same could be said for ishaq, or jaron jones, or vidal Hazleton or nyan boateng.

The point in all this is when you go to a factory you run the risk of never really playing or getting a chance. Maybe that's what will happen to Hendrix. It doesn't mean you're not good either.

Syracuse lacrosse, it's a selector school, there are bench warmers who could possibly be all Americans if they went to say to Fairfield or buttgers or some non factory where they're going to play.

Tough to showcase your talent if you're the backup and chance are good you might be bc they'll continue to bring in 4 star after 4 star because they can.

Syracuse football is the fallback plan for kids that don't get offered by their dream school/home state school. Basketball and Lax are selectors like you said.

If he was a "very good player" why didn't he get PT there? Maybe he was overrated and he would have struggled to get on the field here. Did Max Beaulieu get buried by coming here? (Hint: No, he wasn't a good player)

Pugh and Nassib didn't have any other options besides coming here. Shamarko still would have been a star if he stayed committed to UL.
Obviously, there are examples of both extremes as well as many in between. I think the point is that the success stories wouldn't have happened at one of the factories. For example, let's say you're a potential 2nd round draft pick who happens to be #2 behind a 1st round draft pick, you aren't going to get as great an opportunity to showcase your talents as you would at another program.

Let's look at Drew Allen. He just happened to be stuck behind NFL QBs at OU. The guy has all of the physical tools to be really good. He just didn't get the opportunity there that he would have, at say, Miami of Ohio (or any number of schools). Before you counter with the fact that he's got his opportunity this year at SU, I will say that his opportunity is/was very limited due to having only 1 year of remaining eligibility, very little time to acclimate to the team and a pretty short leash.

I don't think your portrayal of Nassib and Pugh having no choice but to attend SU is accurate. Every D1 schollie player has choices of where they can go play. I'm sure Lehigh or Penn or Delaware would have taken Nassib.

Obviously, there are examples of both extremes as well as many in between. I think the point is that the success stories wouldn't have happened at one of the factories. For example, let's say you're a potential 2nd round draft pick who happens to be #2 behind a 1st round draft pick, you aren't going to get as great an opportunity to showcase your talents as you would at another program.

Let's look at Drew Allen. He just happened to be stuck behind NFL QBs at OU. The guy has all of the physical tools to be really good. He just didn't get the opportunity there that he would have, at say, Miami of Ohio (or any number of schools). Before you counter with the fact that he's got his opportunity this year at SU, I will say that his opportunity is/was very limited due to having only 1 year of remaining eligibility, very little time to acclimate to the team and a pretty short leash.

I don't think your portrayal of Nassib and Pugh having no choice but to attend SU is accurate. Every D1 schollie player has choices of where they can go play. I'm sure Lehigh or Penn or Delaware would have taken Nassib.

Right. This is exactly what I'd tell my kid if he was D1 talent. The allure of big schools is strong - but if you're looking for opportunity, a smaller name school is the way to go. Then it comes down to academics, coaching, etc.

Right. This is exactly what I'd tell my kid if he was D1 talent. The allure of big schools is strong - but if you're looking for opportunity, a smaller name school is the way to go. Then it comes down to academics, coaching, etc.

You feel the same if he was a high level basketball player and Syracuse came calling?

You feel the same if he was a high level basketball player and Syracuse came calling?

Basketball is much different. Less scholarships mean there is a greater opportunity to play.

Football you could be 3 deep at your position at Alabama, have decent talent (starter at Syracuse, perhaps) and never get a chance to develop or show your stuff. You could just be the guy who provides depth.

Basketball is much different. Less scholarships mean there is a greater opportunity to play.

Football you could be 3 deep at your position at Alabama, have decent talent (starter at Syracuse, perhaps) and never get a chance to develop or show your stuff. You could just be the guy who provides depth.

For me, if you are 3 deep at Alabama, you might be an avg collegiate player at Syracuse. If you can play, you will play. Some guys may have to wait until they are juniors, but they will play no matter if they are on Alabama or Syracuse. I personally don't think developing takes place in games, but rather in practice and off the field (weight room, mental side of it, etc.)

But, lets not kid ourselves. The guys we get with substantial offers, we anticipate to be studs right away. If we got Ebo and he was starting, but not putting up numbers, people would have been disappointed and saying he was overrated.

This is one of those things that can be debated back and forth. I just think it is fascinating since we are one of a few schools that is a selector in basketball and really have to recruit in football.

For me, if you are 3 deep at Alabama, you might be an avg collegiate player at Syracuse. If you can play, you will play. Some guys may have to wait until they are juniors, but they will play no matter if they are on Alabama or Syracuse. I personally don't think developing takes place in games, but rather in practice and off the field (weight room, mental side of it, etc.)

But, lets not kid ourselves. The guys we get with substantial offers, we anticipate to be studs right away. If we got Ebo and he was starting, but not putting up numbers, people would have been disappointed and saying he was overrated.

This is one of those things that can be debated back and forth. I just think it is fascinating since we are one of a few schools that is a selector in basketball and really have to recruit in football.

Yeah - I agree it is interesting.

I just know if I'm a player and I have the choice to play at a school like Syracuse or ride the bench at an SEC school, where I may not see very much playing time - I'm going for playing time.